+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I have feelings for my cousin. Is this something I should repress or explore

I think I have feelings for my cousin. Is this something I should repress or explore

Before answering read at least the next two sentences:

The Bible condemns: father, mother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece.In fact, cousins get married in the Bible.

It's legal in a dozen American states.It's also legal in Canada and much of Europe.

Socially it's weird though.The worst part is, we grew up together and we are even the same age born just a couple months apart.We're like twins, in that we can often sense the other's pain or stress.We can talk about anything and we are nearly identical on so many mental levels. We want the same thing in a relationship and we have the same expectations.
    The worst part is our families are close.We live in the same town and our parents see and talk to each other often.However,we are both 22 years old, so we are not children bound to home.

Lastly,I haven't talked to her about this.It's a just a feeling I've tried to ignore that's come creeping up on my over the past year.

It's definitely weird, IMO. But, people used to marry their cousins all the time. Are you first cousins? I would probably try and put an end to your feelings for her. If you're first cousins and your families are close, you would have a lot of issues to deal with.

I remember thinking some of my cousins were attractive. I even had crushes on some of them when I was a lot younger...like 10. We were always together, had similar views/morals about life b/c we grew up in the same general family. But, at the end of the day I knew it was weird and got over any crushes I may have had. I also only remember thinking some of my 2nd and 3rd cousins were cute...not first...that's like a brother or a sister...eww.

No, don't think about dating your cousin, it isn't normal to even think about dating anyone inside your own family.

Don't even mention this to her.
    It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have that matters.

OMG, there's nothing wrong with cousins dating!!! Get over it people, everytime I read a thread about cousin love, which is more often than people think, too many responses are negative.

If he hadn't mentioned the word cousin, how would you have reacted then? You all would have told him to go for it.... right??

Love has no limits, it wasn't created for man to tell it that its wrong.

Dude, seriously just follow your heart and ignore the crappy stereotypes that people just can't get over. Their problem, not yours.
    Last edited by Yanky; 03-07-14 at 06:03 AM.

My friend is a product of two primary cousins - her mother had several miscarriages and all children have a congenital disease (I can't remember what it is). So, there are those kinds of risks to consider. But that's perhaps too forward thinking for now.

Secondly - you grew up together, your families are close and you are like 'twins' - so, what would your families think, should something happen between you? You have to assess the kind of damage it might do.

Thirdly - yes, sure - marriage between cousins was more acceptable back in the day...and in some less developed countries, amongst some religions...all this is true. But...it's not really that acceptable in our society. At the end of the day, you are related - and that will raise eyebrows and cause some issues.

Personally, I think it's weird...especially because you grew up together like brother/sister...but if it's legal and something you both want to explore, nothing can stop you...but I'd assess the consequences before proceeding.

Pffft, I grew up with my girlfriend. She was and is my best friend, and I couldn't be happier.

Go ahead, I personally don't think love should be judged by others under any circumstances. A friend of mine is married to her first cousin and they have the best relationship I've ever seen. Don't worry about what she is to you. What she means to you is what counts.
    Last edited by N_divine; 03-07-14 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N_divine View Post
    Pffft, I grew up with my girlfriend. She was and is my best friend, and I couldn't be happier.

Go ahead, I personally don't think love should be judged by others under any circumstances. A friend of mine is married to her first cousin and they have the best relationship I've ever seen. Don't worry about what she is to you. What she means to you is what counts.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Honestly, I know quite a few who are dating, want to date, or are married to their cousins here in the states. It isn't a big deal, really. lol. It's common too. I don't know why some people think it's taboo or something, but hey don't let them stop you.

I'd definitely explore it.

Best of luck Evongelo.

what does it matter what strangers think - you are going to do what you want anyhow your post basically says so. almost like trying to give yourself permission to go forward with this. but if she is creeped out after you express this count on her avoiding you and telling others in your family about it.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

You should do what you think is right. All the best Don't let other people's judgments run your life

The chances of having an unhealthy baby are slim actually. Only 5% more than any other couple. And some say that the odds are exactly the same.

But why let that be a reason to not be with someone? That would be a lame excuse.

Why are some of you encouraging a person to go ahead and date his relative?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's weird, and you know it, or you wouldn't be asking about it.

Assuming this isn't a troll-post, I think you should go ahead and tell your cousin, so she can slap you and get on with her life.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

My cousin and I were in love with each other, we even told each other how we felt, but she passed away in an accident before I even got a chance to take her out on our first date.

I'll never feel love like that again, she was my soulmate and sometimes we talk to each other in dreams.

Don't for a SECOND let someone tell you that you shouldn't do something.
    Follow your heart.

Yeah there is a lot of ignorance on the internet. Anyone on here telling me it's wrong is just a moron. I'm asking with regards to the social stigma not because I know it's wrong and I want to do it anyway.
    In Europe and Canada its 100% legal. In the Middle East cousin marriages account for 50% of all marriages. The USA is literally the only country on Earth that outlaws it and looks down upon it based on absolutely no scientific data or religious reasoning.
    I didn't make this post so ignorant idiots could tell me it's wrong because they're too thick to ever have done the research on something before they flap their gobs. I made this post to learn the opinions of either those who have been in this situation, or from those who just have some good insight regarding family and issues such as this.

It's funny, I bet someone who would insult me and call a pervert on here would be just as quick to call me a bigot if I made fun of a homosexual asking for advice on coming out to his family. A hundred years ago, cousin marriages were common place and they stoned homosexuals lol. Here we are a century later and the ignorance hasn't gone away it's just moved somewhere else. And people ask me why I have no faith in humanity. It's because it's always a step forward and several back.

Name calling is so immature.

You asked strangers this question on the internet what did you expect back? Wouldn't be surprised if some accounts who agreed with you weren't also you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast