+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you know he's the one? How do you bring up engagement?

How do you know he's the one? How do you bring up engagement?

I really feel like my current boyfriend of 2 years is the "one" for me. He makes me so happy when im around him, I can go on vacation with him and not get annoyed with him. We had a wonderful time on our first vacation together back in March. He's like my best friend and I tell him pretty much everything.

Things have shifted a lot, but it does not mean I don't love him just as much as I did in the beginning. Things just have cooled down a lot and I still love him the same amount.

My thing, we haven't really talked about getting engaged or anything. We've randomly talked about things, a few months back he said "I can have his last name one day" Then when we were on vacation we were talking with the Married couple we were with, and we both know we don't want kids, and my boyfriend said he just wants to be like his uncle and juts get married one day and not have children. Which is the same exact thing I want. So we do share the same values. Also every night when he says his good nights he calls me his "Last girlfriend ever" And sometimes I'll just randomly say he is stuck with me, and he says "I hope so"

I'm totally not trying to rush anything, and I am very content with how things are right now.

Another thing, he has been engaged before, years ago, didn't even last a year, and his ex broke it off. So now he juts may be scared? I just don't know how to go about these things, is it bad we've dated for 2 years and never "seriously" talking about this? How do I bring something like this up?

After 2 years, If you are not comfortable talking about marriage, you really are not ready to be married anytime soon. It does not sound like you and your boyfriend have an open line of communication. You have been dating for two years, you should not be this nervous about bringing this conversation up..

Anyways: Just start by saying, "Where do you see this relationship going?" and say, "I want to be married one day, and I really believe that you're the person who I can spend the rest of my life with. How do you feel about that?"

Hopefully he opens up

What's the rush?
    I never understood why so many couples feel the need to label themselves.
    I mean, if your together, your together. If your lacking a closeness you believe would be remedied by marriage, well, no.
    It won't.
    and if you already share this closeness and have a good connection which you seem to think you do, well then, again, what's the rush.
    2 yrs is not allot of time to know someone. My advice? Live with him first and live with him for years before jumping into legalizing it. Love knows no bounds.

2 ****ing years and you have not bought it up? I say, one year mark, should have bought it up. You need to stand up for yourself, girl. Just bring it up. Ask him if he is thinking of getting married. If he gives you excuses or try to delay, he is wasting your time. Then, don't hesitate to distance yourself and start looking for another guy. Talking about you being his last girlfriend means nothing. Guys imply these things to keep you around. Ask him directly. Then, ask him how much money he has saved up for wedding, house, etc.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

2 years is not the crime some people here have painted it to be. If more people were careful perhaps the divorce rate wouldn't be so horrendous.

People forget men have feelings too and the broken engagement may have damaged him a bit, it does not mean he doesn't love you and it does not mean he's stringing you along.

You say you are satisfied but in posting here part of you clearly is not. You need to decide how you really feel and what you really want then talk to him openly and honestly to check he is on the same page.

So anything new? What was his reaction? If a guy wants a future with you, he would be happy that you bought it up. 2 years is very reasonable. I bought up engagement with a guy I dated only a few months (but to be fair, we were friends before we dated), and he was very happy about it.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions