+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accidents and other "Sh*t happens" events

Accidents and other "Sh*t happens" events

So I've canceled my gym membership because I thought I'd be gone by last week. As it ends up being, I'm leaving after next.

So I'm driving to this other gym to get in a work out with this pass. They won't take it because I'd used one the previous week. So I'm trying to decide whether I should go to another one down the street..but there's this friend who lives close to there so I give her a call. She's like "I bought KFC, come eat" so I say, okay, screw the gym today, I'll work out tomorrow. I eat, hang out a lil bit, then go off on my merry way.

I'm at a red light on the right lane..then I look to my left. "HEY, there's a Sonic and I have a coupon for a burguer there....I'm not hungry but I can take it for lunch" so I start turning left..but it would be a close fit..I have to back up a little bit...SLAM!!! like an IDIOT I hit someone behind me. It was night time and they must have been pretty close to my rear, plus I have a small truck and they were on a grand AM so I never saw headlights.

In any case, they were cool about it, there wasn't much visible damage to their bumper, there was a visible crack and that was pretty much the extent of it. Actually my rear bumper took the worst of it, somehow. So they took my info and I said they can get an estimate on the work and I'd give them the cash. It could have been worse, is what I convinced myself of, but there was still that little anxiety of not knowing the extent of the damage this was going to end up leaving on my pocketbook.

So that was bothering me today but just now I got a call and at least now I know a worst case scenario: $824.00...but they were pretty cool, the gal's mom was in town (just happened to be here) and they're very reasonable folks, they said that it seemed too expensive and that it wasn't like it was a new car, so if it was something cosmetic ONLY they'd consider less cash, but they were going to make sure there was no internal damage to the engine. So at least the uncertainty is gone. Tomorrow morning I'll meet with them to see about how much it will run and immediately give them a check then it'll be off my mind. My truck I can fix when I get to Mexico where that kind of body work will be much, much cheaper.

So that's my tragic event. It could have been worse, I always say. It's a lesson learned. It's not bad at all..just money out of my pocket. Nobody was hurt, no worries...still, it bums you out for a little bit at times..

So what's your "shit happens" story?

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i knew that girls can't drive, but you too??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Watch out, there, Illusional..asians aren't exactly known for the greatness of their driving skills, ha ha..

Okay...NOW have a nice weekend...maybe...

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    Watch out, there, Illusional..asians aren't exactly known for the greatness of their driving skills
    Hey hey!

I'm damn good at driving.

I've been drivin' a year come this month without one accident!

And I'm not no granny driver either that's for sure.

By the way, how did the "asians are bad at driving" stereotype come about?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    asians are probably known for their rice burners. they take these small imports and supe them up to create high speeds. howeve, being that they car isn't made for this type of racing, when an accident occurs, they rarely survive. damn i wanna try this one day. i love driving fast.

raverboy

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd love to fix up my little '87 Honda Accord.

But more so to make it more gas efficient than anything at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    asians are probably known for their rice burners. they take these small imports and supe them up to create high speeds. howeve, being that they car isn't made for this type of racing, when an accident occurs, they rarely survive. damn i wanna try this one day. i love driving fast.

raverboy
    Oh yea, your totally right. Cause having an american V8 sitting on your lap is much safer *rolls eyes*.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional

raverboy
    I love driving fast and hate rice burners. They usually put more $ into the car than the car is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    I love driving fast and hate rice burners. They usually put more $ into the car than the car is worth.
    And yet still go faster for less cash with smaller engines.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    And yet still go faster for less cash with smaller engines.
    Not faster than me though.

nomas why don't you have insurance???

anyway a couple of years ago i caused a really bad accident. i pulled out from my street and this girl was going really really fast down the street and i pulled out in front of her, i didn't see her. i looked over to my left and she was honking and had a terrified look on her face. i hit the gas to try to avoid her and she hit me right behind my seat. i was in a truck and it went fishtailing all over the street. if i wouldn't have tried to avoid her i see having lost my limbs or my life all together. it was aweful i was in so much pain. my back is still really messed up. but my insurance paid for everything. the girl had an airbag which probably saved her life. we were both beat up by our safety features. she had bruises all over her face and i had a bunch across my chest and stomach. scary. it definitely makes you more aware of what you're doing.

anyway that's my car accident story. nomas, why didn't you have insurance again?

i have many other "shit happens" moments...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    with the price of gas constantly rising, who buys a v8 anymore??

raverboy

Tone Guest
    Yikes, scary 'sombra... isn't it funny how those situations you always say "Man if I had not pulled forward just a bit I could have been really messed up or even dead..." I was hit by a car once in high school.. My mom dropped me off and I was just in a daze, not really paying attention - I was walking across the street and this car went by and just did not stop, goin at least 35-40... he barely hit me, just the side mirrors hit my hands.. my friend watched the whole thing.. said I spinned 360 degrees and just kept walking.. I honestly didn't think anything of it until later on in class when I woke up more, I was like "Man my hand hurts"

Later on though I was just thinkin "Man what if I had been 3 steps ahead.. or 2 seconds faster.."

nomas - damn dude that sucks... you should be very lucky they are so nice and understanding... few years back I was with my girlfriend, she was drivin.. we were downtown and the light turned green. The car ahead of her started to go, so she started to drive, she then turned to talk to me, I was lookin ahead and saw the beat up trans am in front of us hard brake and she kept goin, I said "JAS STOP" and she tried to break but ended up tapping his rear end... I mean she hit him, but not hard at all. This Trans Am was pretty old and already pretty torn up so we get out and it's a kid about our age.. at first he was kind of a jerk, and I was just like "Look man it was an accident, she barely touched your raggedy car, no one got hurt, the only damage is to HER front bumper" and he's just like "yeah everythin is cool" took each other information anyways and few days later her insurance company calls her and this kid and his dad are making all sort of retarded, outlandish claims.. saying there was a huge crack in his bumper and all sort of internal damage, saying he is having neck problems now... I mean - she BARELY hit him, enough to put a small crack in the plastic on the front bumper of her 98 Eclipse but all this other junk was just ridiculous.

Her insurance company agreed it was really ridiculous and didn't end up payin on anything except the small damage to his back bumper (with his raggedy car you couldn't tell anyway) but everyone is always lookin to get paid.. I imagine he went home and told daddy and they tried to milk it for all they could.

here's my shit happens story. yesterday, all teary-eyed, and in a rush to help a friend move her things from her dorm room to her storage, i just changed in the middle of the street.

i double checked to make sure i locked the car door. then, i looked at my hands and reazlied i locked the car key in the car. grrrr... i'd also did laundry so all my clean clothes are stuck in the car. no clean clothes, no car, and no work keys...
    "Ogres are like onions."

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh nooo what did you do? lol that sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast