+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unrequited Love

Unrequited Love

I just saw my ex for the first time after our break-up. I would do anything to have him back in my life. I feel like he added color that I won't get from anyone again. The worst part is, he is such a good guy. He was so gracious. I just can't seem to get over him..I've gone on a few dates only to leave me feeling depressed afterwards. I feel like nothing compares to the happiness I felt with my ex. And I can tell he's moved on and is happy without me.

How can someone bring so much joy and significance to my life but be completely unfazed by me?

I feel so worthless, empty, and heart-broken. I'm trying so hard to move on but I can't get him out of my mind. I feel like I ruined my chance at being with a wonderful person.

How long have you been broken up?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

We broke up 3 weeks ago

Well, you're attempting to date way too soon. You'll not be able to see the qualities of who you are with until you get to a better place and you are more indifferent to your ex which takes more time then three weeks.

Do things with your friends and family instead. Take up a new hobby or join a co-ed baseball or volley ball league and refrain from dating until you're less obsessive in thoughts of the ex.

I'll add that it would be in your own emotional DISINTEREST to keep dating. You're not ready for that and most good men will know that and by-pass you for anything serious... The not so good will just take advantage of your vulnerability.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 28-09-14 at 10:48 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

When a couple breaks up there's always one person more affected than the other. Unfotunately for you, it's you. You'll find someone else that piques your interest and vice versa, it just takes time. Keep dating.
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

Not sure what to tell you but this happened to me 20 fuggin years ago and I still think of her daily and what could have been. She pops up in my dreams about once a month. At first it was us getting back together and as the years passed by my dreams was us just meeting up. She was my best friend and soul mate and we talked marriage. I was so tough to lose your best friend and see her dismiss me and move on. She was younger than I and wanted to spread her wings. I still feel depressed but the years have eased the pain to some extent.