+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A Blossoming Love? Or Just an Illusion?

A Blossoming Love? Or Just an Illusion?

Ooh. Sorry this is beside the point, but I think that is a pretty darn good title. And also, wow, this is a huge story...I like telling stories . ANYWAYS,

So I am a high school student and I have previously liked this one girl who, lets name her Amy. Amy and I are all the same group of friends and so we hang out, talk quite often, etc.. She is really smart and pretty cute in my opinion, and she is decently shy when doing things with other guys. She does get excited and stuff and gives high fives around and such, and she can be pretty outgoing if she wants to. So I previously liked Amy (And apparently, to anyone who saw us, it seemed like we were a perfect looking couple... she's Asian. I'm Asian... Boom.), and eventually, I manned up and told her that I liked her for Valentine's Day and asked her to be my Valentine and all that good stuff. She accepted, but also said that "she didn't feel the same way about me". So naturally, the high school male teenager I am, I completely disregarded her statement, hoping that there was some way that I could get her to like me. Eventually, it finally got to me that, Amy doesn't like me. So I backed off, and decided to forget about her.

Later on, Homecoming comes along. So, I begin to think, "Who can I ask?" So my first thought is going to be someone who is a good friend, and someone who will be fun to take along and I would enjoy myself with. So, I think of Amy. (Also, as a side note, people who asked me "Who are you going to Homecoming with?", both last year and this year almost always suggested that I should take Amy.) Anyways, at this point, I don't really like her in the relationship sort of way. Just as friends, as she had pretty much told me when I asked her for the Valentine's deal. So, I just keep that thought of taking Amy to Homecoming on the back-burner and keep doing whatever I'm doing for school and clubs, as Homecoming is quite far ahead. Fast forward a week or so and then my phone rings, and it is my female friend, lets name her Katie. So I hear people talking and car noises coming from Katie's end and I hear her ask "Who are you going to Homecoming with??". I respond with something along the lines of "Nobody at the moment, haven't thought about it." (Obviously not a lie.. Wink. Wink.). She tells me that I should ask Amy to Homecoming, and then turns off the call. And on the phone, I might have noticed the embarrassed yell of Amy's "Noooooo.." who was in the car. (She might have said that or not, I do not know. There was plenty of noise in the car on her end, so it might have been my imagination.). So now, this got me thinking. Maybe I should ask Amy to Homecoming? So I come up with a plan to pretend to buy some Chinese food and have fortune cookies that have a replaced fortune of "Amy, will you go to Homecoming with me, -My name here.", and another one that is a joke that we won't get into detail here. So anyways, I proceed with the plan, and Amy then accepts.

So up until now, the story hasn't really gone anywhere. But this is where my troubles/questions come in. So ever since that little car phone call from Katie, Amy has been acting relatively more close to me. It might be my imagination, it might not. And then after the little successful proposal, we are all in a club that has a bowling night that day. So all of our friends were there having a great time. Amy and I are not actually in the same lanes, but occasionally, she would move from her tables to ours while she was talking and waiting for her turn to fail at bowling. Now normally, there wouldn't be much of a reason for her to come to my table of bros, but she does quite often, and I don't complain. Then, during school and such, she shows me some of her drawings from her art class (Not too out of the blue, pretty normal for her) and when she is showing her drawing on her phone, she sort of places herself so we are pretty close, and our entire arms are touching. And she continues to do things like this with whatever she wants to show us or whatever we are sharing that that time (For example, looking at the same photo on a phone.) She talks to me a lot more, and she comes to my group of guys more that just so happens to have me in it a lot more often(Our group of friends tend to break off into mini groups, usually guys and girls, but we will all have a group conversation often.). So overall, she just puts herself next to me (May be coincidence) more often. Her texts, if I do message her, feel like they have a lot more feeling (Again, could just be the situation), with her playful "You suck!!" when I don't spill the beans on who my guy friends will be asking to Homecoming. So, at the very end, I'm confused if I should try to get closer to her, relationship wise, or keep it as normal friends.

Is she simply feeling inclined as though she needs to be closer because I am taking her to Homecoming? Or is it something a bit deeper and bigger than that, and that she actually is beginning to like me? As this keeps going on, I begin to feel a bit closer to her, and I begin to feel like I do in fact start to like her again. I think about her more often, and well, it has brought me to write this pretty much essay. And well, I guess that's all I have to say for now. I have to further "experiment". I will add anything else if I need to, but if not, then I hope this is good enough for you guys to give me a decent answer.

TL;DR Version: I liked girl, she doesn't like me back. We good friends. Homecoming is coming. I ask her to Homecoming as friends (I think). She acts closer to me, makes our arms touch whenever she shows me things, talks to me more, stuff like that. Is she feeling inclined to be closer to me because I asked? Or is it because she is beginning to like me? What should I do?

Thank you very much and Have a very nice day/night!
    Last edited by Will_Bart_2009; 01-10-14 at 04:26 PM.

I think that she might like you, just

Thanks for the Reply, I really appreciate it!
    And, by the way, you left the sentence at "just". Were you planning on saying something else or?

I'd say things are looking good for you, champ! However, when dealing with the female beast, it's better to err on the side of assuming too little, rather than too much, in terms of her interest, because any sudden moves could startle. If she's anything like me, right now she's appreciating your steady, even headed ability to be happy as friends even after what seemed like a shut down. That was actually more mature of you that what most men twice your age can manage. So keep up the good steady pace and I'm sure she'll make her point of view more obvious in the weeks to come.
    Good Luck
    “Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free.”

― Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker

Thanks for replying!
    I really do appreciate the advice too. Seems like it could come in handy quite soon
    I hope that this all irons itself out in the near future haha. Thanks again,
    Will

no worries!
    “Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free.”

― Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker