+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Need advice please... How to make my parents agree with my marriage?

Need advice please... How to make my parents agree with my marriage?

Hi all,
    I need advice.

Back story of me and him:
    Few years back i was severely suffer deep depression to the point where i'm suicidal. The heavy depression was caused by my inability to support my parents financial request and because i lost self confidence on myself (especially on education and job part). I've tried several method of dying but failed.
    I met him when i was trying to drown myself (but failed again). He's the one that support me and help me to get back on my feet and always seems to be amazed with everything that i do-even for simple little things. I have met his family, they are the nicest people I've ever met. I really love this guy.

Parent and me relationship background:
    Seldom talk and emotionally distance. But most of the time we can depend on each other on financial related issue. Most of our conversation related to business, jobs and other financial prospect planning. (This kind of talk happens even during special family gathering)

So... We have plan to get married by the end of this year. However my parent try as hard as they can to hold back this marriage. I've try to discuss this issues with my parents, their feedback was
    1.his education and job wasnt as same or higher level as mine.
    2.it's a man duty to become a leader. Thus a man must have higher education and financial status than his wife in order to become a leader.
    3.l need to be in school. (I strongly disagree with this one because it is their plan to "upgrade" my study to phd. It'll take years. And I havent even applied for it yet??)
    I come from a country that require religion's marriage requirement to be fulfilled in order for ones marriange to become officially registered, and one of the requirement is that my father need to agree to this marriage(if the father still alive, if not then brother, or uncle on father side).
    Can anyone sheds me some light how can i convince my parents to at least agree to this marriage?

Only way is to have a heart to heart chat with them