+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is laughter important in a relationship?

Is laughter important in a relationship?

Hey Guys!
    I need a bit of advice
    I've been in a serious relationship for 3 months with a guy. He's all I ever wanted: has a really good heart, treats me so well, he's good looking, we do a lot of stuff together, lot of trips, he surprises me always with something. He's the man I ever dreamed of. With one little downside: he's not funny, or better yet to say, we have a different humour. In 3 months if you believe me, we never laughed out loud. I make a witty comment or a joke, he makes a ha or ha-ha und vice-versa. But never really laugh. I am on one side scared that he thinks that also and that he will end it or that Im not going to be ok with it in the future.
    In my past relationships I always had tons of laughs with my exes, I was also funnier.. I think with him Im afraid to completely be myself and act silly because he's too much of a serious man.
    Do you think that a relationship like this has a future? Can you have a relationship without laughter? Or is there something I can do? Ive began to love him, I dont want to let this so easily go.
    Thank you!

i would say laughter is a decent portion of attraction between two people. normally thats how you know you like someone, if they can make you laugh and be silly together. i wouldnt say its a bad thing that you havent LOLd together but i would say that you should be your normal silly self see how he reacts. maybe he is thinking the same thing and is scared of being his total silly self in fear that it might scare you away. maybe hes just trying to act "cool" and serious around you, to keep you wondering about him.

You know, I wouldn't say laughing together is necessarily a make or break. It would be great if you have the same/a similar sense of humor, but I don't think it is necessarily mandatory. As long as you two have other things in common, and as long as you can at least appreciate each other's sense of humor, then it doesn't necessarily have to be that important.

I, for one, can relate to be "silly" or "goofy." Around the people I trust and care about most, I can be a complete goofball. I like that about me. At the same time, though, I realize that isn't everybody's sense of humor. So, if my humor isn't your cup of tea, that is just fine. However, it is one of my HUGE pet peeves if somebody disrespects me when I am just trying to goof around. You want a way to quickly go from somebody I consider a friend to somebody I wouldn't spit on if you were on fire (especially because it was probably me who set you on fire), then that is the way to go.

So, if it is to the point where he finds you annoying because of your particular brand of humor (and/or vice versa), THEN I would say it becomes a big deal. If that isn't the case, and he can at least appreciate your sense of humor even though it is not the same as his (and vice versa) then I really don't see why it should be such a big deal.

You should feel free to be the real you, and the full real you, around your partner. He should like you for you. If he does not, then maybe he is not the one for you. Good luck!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know, it's more important to some people than others. Sounds like your guy ticks all the boxes in the other departments, you're just struggling with this one aspect of his personality. So it's time to get real with yourself: how important is it to YOU? Everybody has those factors in a relationship that they deem necessary for it to be successful in their eyes. Is this a deal breaker for you? Or do you love every thing else about him so much that you can look past it?

For me, a sense of humour is a must. One of the reasons I married my man is honestly because he makes me laugh every day, and being a high anxiety person I really, really value this. So I have my reasons, but they may not be the same for you.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I think laughter between couples is an important thing, because it means you get and understand the other and appreciate who and how they are if you find them amusing and also means you are comfortable with each other if you can be silly together. Talk to your partner and discuss how much this is bothering you, maybe there is another reason why he doesn't laugh as much as other ex's with you.

It would be nice to laugh on your problems once in a while. I think you shouldn't judge this guy yet. Maybe he just reserves his laugh in really funny moments. To hear him laugh would be more precious since he doesn't laugh often. If everything else is going so well and your only problem is his laugh or his sense of humor I don't think their should be much of a problem
    What's sabotaging your chances at love? --> https://dyenag.leadpages.net/kick-ass

Agreed with a lot of what folks have had to say. Again, to me it really comes down to one important thing... if your sense of humor doesn't happen to be the same as is, can he at least respect and understand yours? For example, my personal brand of humor is completely stupid and goofy. That is what I find funny.

I have friends who aren't really like that. Their sense of humor is very different from mine. For some, it is very dry and/or sarcastic. At the same time, though, they get a kick out of my goofyness all the same. They may not laugh since it isn't their particular brand of humor, but they still appreciate me for it. Not to mention, it is a great feeling when you actually DO get one of them to laugh. With the particular friends I am thinking of, there have been many times when something I did or said caught them off guard and literally got them laughing. Now that is cool! LOL!

...Wait, what the Hell was my point? LOL! ....Oh right. Anyway, to sum it up, I don't think having a different sense of humor should automatically be a deal breaker. It COULD be if it is enough of a problem, but it could also not be too big a deal. It really sort of depends on the specifics of the situation.

oooo. Well, i'm sure you've had allot of perspectives but personally? I can't imagine not laughing with my sweetheart; and i'm talking whole body belly laughs.

I lose my knees and ability to stand up on a fairly regular basis. I can't imagine life without it. Laughter is good medicine.
    But yes yes, if your s.o is good for you as you say he is, perhaps the laughter will come. I hope it does for you because man oh man, nothing quite like a good ol belly laugh to fill the soul

Woody, what about those of us who don't have a soul? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    Woody, what about those of us who don't have a soul? :-P
    Now, now, we ALL have the ol soul; at least, I'm pretty sure. Yeah, i'd bet my bottom dollar every living thing has one. Every. I feel it. Breaks my heart sometimes when some of us suffer; so much so
    why would you say something like that. You be joking or you feeling a wee blue?
    You give some of the best and most compassionate advice on here. I don't like sensing your feeling down. What up Jester Man?

I think your looking for problems. If your happy right now then why are you worrying if this may be a problem in the future? If hes too boring for you in 3months you can end it then.. stop overcomplicating it. Your still getting to know him, learning to trust and feel comfortable together. It takes time so relax and stop over thinking

Jeez, Woody, you are awesome! I have been having a bit of a rough time lately, but to be perfectly honest with you, that is just one of my favorite little jokes. Even at times when my life is going amazingly well, I still like to make jokes about me being pure evil, or not having a soul/heart. That and the jokes I like to make about my countless victims chained up in my basement screaming in agony and terror and/or made into beautiful lamps and furniture. ....Because I am totally just joking about that. :-D Mwuuuuuhahahahahahahaha!!!! Oh man, sorry. I really should get a doctor to look into that cough of mine. :-P

I, for one, can relate to be "silly" or "goofy." Around the people I trust and care about most, I can be a complete goofball. I like that about me. At the same time, though, I realize that isn't everybody's sense of humor. So, if my humor isn't your cup of tea, that is just fine. However, it is one of my HUGE pet peeves if somebody disrespects me when I am just trying to goof around. You want a way to quickly go from somebody I consider a friend to somebody I wouldn't spit on if you were on fire (especially because it was probably me who set you on fire), then that is the way to go.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8RPcjS8mRQ]I Want to Get My Ex Girlfriend Back[/url]

Hey, I think moneyspills offered some great advice and insight. ....Probably because it was part of my response. Word for word. :-P

I bet if you check all their recent posts they have done similar things with other peoples posts, they are probably a troll or fake account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast