+ Follow This Topic

Thread: We have fun together, but he talks way too much?

We have fun together, but he talks way too much?

I don't know if this is a dealbreaker yet, so I'm looking for input. Thank you so much for any advice.

So anyway, I've been seeing this guy for a couple months now. It's obvious he likes to talk, but it's starting to get bothersome.

Some annoying things he does in conversation:

-I will be telling him a story and he won't comment on the story any further, but rather answer by "that reminds me of when..." and go into a long story from his own life

-We will be talking about one topic, and somehow the conversation always manages to change topics very quickly. He will change the topic, and it will just spiral into whatever sub-topics he feels like (usually stories), without me getting a word in edgewise...

-Any time we are with anyone, it seems like he is talking 80% of the time over anyone else...

-The conversation seems to ALWAYS go back to his love of biking/details about his bike/bike stories. Biking is a neutral subject for me. I like biking but I'm not an extreme enthusiast. I used to ask him further questions to be nice but now every time he brings up biking I'm just like "oh yeah" or "that's great" or "cool" and he doesn't seem to take a hint and just carries on...

But besides this, he is a good person. I truly believe it. He cares about his family, friends and me. Most of his stories are about his family. If he interrupts me, he will apologize and listen to what I have to say. I feel really good around him when he's tired or it's late at night and he isn't talking much. We're both very musical and often times we'll just listen to music together and comment on little things we like. I love moments like those.

I guess I knew he was very talkative from the beginning when he would send me 3-page text messages, I just didn't think I would get bored of what he had to say so quick...

I haven't actually approached this as an issue to him. I'm not sure it's worth it, because I feel like this is just the way he is. I don't really feel like trying to change someone to suit my needs. I'm torn because he treats me quite good, yet I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with the constant chatter.

Don't get me wrong, I love conversation, but not when it feels like I'm pulling teeth...

Is this worth saving? Suggestions?

I don't know...it seems trivial but I think if within 2 months, you're already getting frustrated with him (and understandably so) then it probably isn't the best of signs. Do you have good chemistry other wise?

I guess if you want to proceed, just tell him - he might be ignorant to his communication style. Explain that he does 80% of the talking, usually about a topic of interest to him and that he doesn't really seem engaged when you have something to say. Explain the reciprocal nature of conversation...and the difference between talking to someone and with someone, compared to talking AT people like he's doing a monologue.

It's only a couple of months and he's already annoying you. Time to move on.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.