+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Male opinions on male midwives

Male opinions on male midwives

Hi men!

This is not relating to my life, but would greatly appreciate your personal opinions on a male midwife delivering your baby.

I have been researching the discrimination faced by male midwives, and am trying to get the opinion of men to back up / disprove my research.

If you could take a few minutes to fill out a short survey it would go a long way towards helping me complete my research for my schoolwork.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Lucinda

Here's a female opinion on it. I'd rather have someone who has had a baby deliver my baby so until a male can do that, seeeee ya.... hate to beee ya.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know why you would ask males about this. It is WOMEN who go through labor, and therefore, theirs is (legally) the only opinion that counts. (Sorry, but speaking as a nurse, that is true.)

I work with some very talented male nurses, and in an emergency situation, no one really cares about the gender of their care staff, but generally speaking, most people (male AND female) prefer *females* for intimate care, men because of homophobia, and females because of modesty. You might argue that this is sexist, and perhaps it IS, but when people are paying for a service, their preferences matter.

The hospital I work in tries their best to accommodate gender preferences, which increase patient satisfaction.
    Last edited by vashti; 25-10-14 at 12:41 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Arn't most gynacologists men? Honestly I wouldn't care as long as they followed procedures, are trained properly and know what their doing.

I don't care what gender my regular doctor is when I am giving birth as long as they are qualified and kind, I do prefer gynos to be female.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Here's a female opinion on it. I'd rather have someone who has had a baby deliver my baby so until a male can do that, seeeee ya.... hate to beee ya.
    So you wouldn't want a female midwife who hasn't given birth?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I don't know why you would ask males about this. It is WOMEN who go through labor, and therefore, theirs is (legally) the only opinion that counts. (Sorry, but speaking as a nurse, that is true.)

I work with some very talented male nurses, and in an emergency situation, no one really cares about the gender of their care staff, but generally speaking, most people (male AND female) prefer *females* for intimate care, men because of homophobia, and females because of modesty. You might argue that this is sexist, and perhaps it IS, but when people are paying for a service, their preferences matter.

The hospital I work in tries their best to accommodate gender preferences, which increase patient satisfaction.
    I didn't know that.

When I made the appointment for my hubby to have a prostate check, he was briefly taken aback to discover that I'd booked a female doctor. He then reassured himself that I've had many pap smears done by many male doctors over the years and he got over it. He later said that she was far more gentle than the male urologist she referred him too

I'm not at all surprised that my teenage daughter wants a female doctor for intimate concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

My midwives were female. However, I would have no issue with a male midwife.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

No I wouldn't want a female midwife that hasn't given birth. I had a male doctor deliver our daughter and if it wasn't for the delivery room female nurse who had three children, I think I would have killed any thing with ballzzz at the time. (that includes my husband) lol
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    When I was having babies, it was the nursing staff that mattered to me, too. THEY are the ones who work with you (my first labor was 30 hours!). The OB/GYN only comes in when you are ready to push. At that point, one doesn't much CARE who does the catching.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I just found out I am pregnant and I went to my family doctor who is male. Hes been my doctor for years since I was about 4. Hes a lovely, gentle, kind man and I always feel comfortable with him. He sends me to female doctors though for smears etc and will probably refer me to a female for the duration of my pregnancy.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    I just found out I am pregnant and I went to my family doctor who is male. Hes been my doctor for years since I was about 4. Hes a lovely, gentle, kind man and I always feel comfortable with him. He sends me to female doctors though for smears etc and will probably refer me to a female for the duration of my pregnancy.
    Oh wow. Congratulations! You'll be an awesome mum
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Thanks basil
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".