+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I thought I loved him but after yesterday I am not sure?? Help I really need advice!!

I thought I loved him but after yesterday I am not sure?? Help I really need advice!!

Sorry for the length but please read the whole thing if you can.
    Okay so to start off, I have a boyfriend and I would say he is the first guy I have ever had really serious
    feelings for. He is kind and sweet and caring and we have a really special connection. He makes me feel like no one else ever has... Or... So I thought. So we have been dating for like two months, but he has only been my boyfriend for a week and a half, and it has always been extremely passionate when I am with him and I just loved spending time with him. There were even several times I have felt like I really must be in love with him and must tell him.

But, yesterday, I went to one of his sporting events for the first time, and I brought a friend. This would be the first time I would meet any of his friends and the first time he would meet any of mine. When I saw him, he was with his friends, and I introduced him to my friend, but it was just so awkward and weird. Him and his friends were just acting like weirdos, and I felt so out of place. He didn't even really introduce me as his girlfriend, and I don't know.. I guess I kind of like the thought of being shown off at least a little... and I felt like no one really knew why I was there. The whole situation just felt really uncomfortable and off and I just felt like I didn't really know how to act around him and the whole thing was just annoying and frustrating to me.... Don't get me wrong.. It wasn't one of those things where is was like "he is such a jerk around his friends", because he wasn't at all he acted the same... But different... It's so hard to explain but the whole thing just felt off and I just felt like I wanted to leave.

Then they had to leave, and to make things even better, my friend had to disapprove of him and constantly tell me how WEIRD she thinks he is, and she just kept saying "omg he's so weird he's such a weirdo..." And it just hurt because I wanted her to approve of him. I felt like she didn't even give him a chance and she just shot him down right away without really getting to know how he is as a person, and I was a little offended by that. All of my friends are a lot like the friend I brought with me to the event so that means probably none of them will like him...

It got a tiny bit better as the night went on, but everything still felt so out of place when I was with him, which didn't make sense because I thought I loved him... Also at the game he told me he had to tell me something, but when I asked what he got all weird and said he will tell me another time... So then I went home and said goodbye, and we didn't kiss or hold hands all night.. Only hugged to say hello and goodbye.. Which also bothered me slightly. So then he told me over text that he wanted to tell me in person but he can't wait any longer.. So then he told me.. He is madly in love with me.. Over text!!! I didn't even know what to say... He said he gets too nervous in person to tell me... But I was so disappointed, because that is something I feel like should be so much more special. I just said I'm honored he feels that way but I'm not really sure about those feelings for me yet. I don't know.. Everything yesterday went wrong for me... And I feel like he thinks everything went perfect and doesn't have a clue, but I don't get how he can't tell... Because it was so obvious the whole night was weird!! Help what do I do?? How should I feel about this? Please help I really really need advice!!

Well its always hard at at beginning to get a long with your others half friends especially when you are not confident and really care about others opinion. But it gets better and less awkward along with the time. So I dont see anything that cant be overcome here.

This is the hardest part. After that it gets better.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 16-01-15 at 03:15 AM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

You think so? Should I say anything to him about it? He told me he was really nervous when he wanted to tell me in person.. So I am afraid he never will.... Should I just see what happens? Or say something?

But, yesterday, I went to one of his sporting events for the first time, and I brought a friend.
    Did you just show up or had he invited you to go and did he know you would be bringing a friend?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

He invited me and he knew I was bringing a friend. He said he was really excited for me go and even said "now I can tell you what I have been wanting to tell you!" And I was looking forward to hear what he had to say, but I guess he just got like extremely nervous or something and decided not to tell me there, and just texted it to me once we left.

He was too shy to do it at the venue you were at and he was unable to curtail his need to confess to you how he was feeling so he did it the lazy way (by text)

I thought that maybe he was acting "weird" because you just showed up and took him by surprise but since that isn't the case then I guess you should just give him some time to be more comfortable with you when around his friends. I think its a big step to introduce your friends to your gf/bf but like PC says... it usually gets better after the first intro. Don't let your friend influence your feelings for this guy one way or the other when she based them on one meeting. Lots of people don't make good first impressions but they make up for it when they relax and just be themselves.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

This relationship is just starting out. It can be daunting to take what was private into the big wide world of meeting friends, social gatherings. Some people never become comfy with public displays of affection. I would imagine your young man was indeed feeling awkward not only because your friend was passing the disapproving vibe, but because his friends were about too.
    I'm sure your new sweetheart just needs time to get use to being with you out in public and around his friends or yours.
    take things in stride and enjoy the romance.
    and sure, being told "i love you" for the first time via text is ,granted, not the most romantic but cut him some slack. you both sound younger and shyness is normal.

Thanks, you are probably right. I also just wanted to show you guys one message he sent me and I thought it might make a difference.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/7yXe46w.png[/url]

We talked about it a little bit last night, and I just told him even though it means a lot for him to have told me that, it would mean the world for him to tell me in person and it would be extremely special for me. I think he got the message, and I told him there is no pressure to tell me the next time we hang out or anything, but when he feels the time is right I would like to hear it too.

As for feeling out of place all night, I guess it's just meeting friends is a different setting. Plus he has never had a girlfriend before.. And he is my first boyfriend I really really care for and first "serious" boyfriend I guess, so it's just all new. I just really hope it becomes more natural as time goes on.

Young love... ain't it Grand...

Its all good, Julia... just relax and give it time to simmer down to a fine and steady boil.

Ahh alright thanks everyone, you all put me a lot at ease and I think all of you are right.

He was just nervous He was probably too excited to see you and he sounds like he's really in love with you. Congrats!