+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Please help me become more interesting to others!

Please help me become more interesting to others!

Could anybody give me some advice as to how I could make myself more interesting as a person?

I've come up with the following, (either add to the list, or just write something that you may think might work, thanks),

Read the Newspaper
    Watch News on T.v.
    Watch interesting documentaries
    Always be reading a book
    Take up a Hobby, like weightlifting
    Go to the theatre (or Cinema)
    Listen to Hip Music
    Wear Clothing (you know what I mean)
    Smile

Basically - I'm trying to achieve 'the glow'

I can't think of anything else right now. I think I should start puting some of the above into action. BTW, any cool ideas for a job for me? Some of you all know my personality by now, so I was wondering if you'd be able to help me with what kind of job would suit me best. Some have said telemarkieting, but I don't think I'm that good on the phone - although it is not a bad idea!

BTW - It's good to be back!

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Cell phone dealor..... Work for one of the cell phone companies and sell phones....and plans. Or..a car dealor....

Wow I have never seen someone so into themselves.... Why do you worry so much? Be natural....thats usually the best way to do things without looking fake.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellynn
    Wow I have never seen someone so into themselves.... Why do you worry so much?
    Arrogant and naive.

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Honestly though.....it must be your age or something. Right now I don't give a flying fvck what people think about me...... I just am who I am....

Be yourself....don't worry so much. Fake people are boring.

Wow I have never seen someone so into themselves.... Be natural....thats usually the best way to do things without looking fake.
    Umm...thanks for the advice.

So, I should be natural, as oppose to NOT natural.

To me, natural means not having a job. Playing PS2 all day. Living off my parents. And not exposing myself to others. Clearly I have to change my ways - I don't want to live like this forever.

I know I have to change, I'm getting older, but would I really be considered fake, even if I changed some habits, just to put myself out there?

If people change, because they need to (even if it means needing to appeal to others) would that be considered fake?

I feel I need to open up to others, and let them into my world. Right now, I feel I don't have much to offer, so I thought some activities that get me off my couch or away from my PS2 would serve this purpose, and make others interested in me.

I usually NEVER have anything to contribute to conversations - and that is the reason why the activities I described above will help me.

Fake? Maybe! But I only have good intentions - and those intentions may seem selfish, but it's truly what I'm lacking.

Fake? It doesn't matter to me, because other people have their interests, I should have mine.

I'm just asking/wanting to know what you all do, and your hobbies, and what are the things that make you interesting to others. I just want to get some ideas.

Nothing wrong with making improvements to yourself. I intend to make quite a few myself in the coming months.

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ok, yes you need to get a job etc.... But I wouldn't say taking responsibility for yourself and growing up is considered FAKE. Its a natural process....and yes its something you should have done a long time ago.....but you had it good. (Maybe too good)
    I had a job non-stop since I was 15. So that alone helped me come out of my shell and develop a sense of pride and a personality. Also it helped me deal with other people and become more social. I talk to strangers on a daily basis. That is something I used to be scared to death of......but now its just routine....cuz its part of the job. My job really helped me in social interactions outside of work. I'm not afraid to talk to people. Its awesome..

What I mean by fake is getting ideas from other people on HOW TO BE IN LIFE. Its something you do on your own. I mean yeah you might be looking for hobbies etc....which is cool.....but don't you have any tastes of your own? Preferences of your own? Do you like anything other then video games? I mean if not....then yikes ......

Don't try so hard. To me it sounds like your trying to do it all at once. Just find a job and go from there. Just be yourself(so what if video games DO interst you......they interest alot of guys) But there has to be more right? Figure out what it is yourself what you like.

Thanks TAVS, and good luck with whatever changes you are trying to make in the coming months.

Ok, yes you need to get a job etc.... But I wouldn't say taking responsibility for yourself and growing up is considered FAKE. Its a natural process....and yes its something you should have done a long time ago.....but you had it good. (Maybe too good)
    I had a job non-stop since I was 15. So that alone helped me come out of my shell and develop a sense of pride and a personality. Also it helped me deal with other people and become more social. I talk to strangers on a daily basis. That is something I used to be scared to death of......but now its just routine....cuz its part of the job. My job really helped me in social interactions outside of work. I'm not afraid to talk to people. Its awesome..

What I mean by fake is getting ideas from other people on HOW TO BE IN LIFE. Its something you do on your own. I mean yeah you might be looking for hobbies etc....which is cool.....but don't you have any tastes of your own? Preferences of your own? Do you like anything other then video games? I mean if not....then yikes ......

Don't try so hard. To me it sounds like your trying to do it all at once. Just find a job and go from there. Just be yourself(so what if video games DO interst you......they interest alot of guys) But there has to be more right? Figure out what it is yourself what you like.
    Thanks. Your advice is great.

If members such as myself were given a chance to vote for a MOD, I'd vote for you. If each member could only vote ONCE, I'd open up 50 different accounts, and Vote for you from each one. Thanks - You Rock! You have that 'mother' type of quality in you, where you try your best to look out for everyone. I'm glad people like you exist in this World. You have a nice heart to follow up a lengthy advice post for me, and you don't even know me! Once again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, toward the Purkinge Fibres. So, Thanks!

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I guess its not a bad thing you want to improve yourself......just don't become someone just to please others.
    IM not gonna be harsh....I will try to help w/ the hobby thing at least.

I read books for entertainment. I also work out three times a week just for myself and I feel better and its a natural feeling of Euphoria.(so yeah you feel really good afterwards). I go for walks with my dog....just to pass the time.....and get out of the house. I go to the bar with friends....or just meet up with friends and chat. (You do have friends right?) They are such a big part of my life .....that I couldn't imagine life without them. I work as a CNA(Nursing Assistant) at a hospital and I help the elderly and sick on a daily basis with basic activities in life. Yes it gets hectic, but honestly when I can make a person smile....it makes it all worthwhile. I also rent movies....just to pass the time. I go online and read up on some of the news. Etc Etc..... But I do it cuz I enjoy it. It interests me. Honestly Im not into sports(but I dont care what people think about that) Its just me. I don't get my nails done like other girls because that has never been my thing either. I am myself.......and I make no apologies.....

"Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OH god....you said I have that "mother" quality......LOL. I get that alot lately....(my mom even noticed that and told my friend that this past weekend) I guess thats why i go for guys who need alot of help.....which isnt always a good thing......sigh

I agree with ellynn here, if you want that glow then you really just have to be comfortable with yourself and do your thing. Biggest thing being that there's no reason to give a shit what people think of you. Easier said than done I know.
    Heit ist mein taug.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Getting a job is bettering yourself, but it doesn't make you for real in your head ...

When I say, don't be "fake" ... don't cheat yourself ... if PS2 is what you like to do, you can still do that and have a job and take care of yourself. Things happen when you don't try.

Meeting people and having them be interested in you are not always accomplished with hobbies and careers. It's more of the person inside. If people ain't feelin' you, then f*ck them. That's my philosophy and it seems to work in a good way with making/keeping friends. What happens when you can't think of anymore interesting newspaper articles to talk about or when you run out of complaints about your job? Then you're going to have to touch base about something deeper than your environment.

Ellyn and Zekk are right on the money though. I'm just following up with my two cents.

Final thought: Don't be such a lil' natch, ok?
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by tooxshort
    What happens when you can't think of anymore interesting newspaper articles to talk about or when you run out of complaints about your job? Then you're going to have to touch base about something deeper than your environment.
    But your environment gets you in the door. My goal is to make myself a more interesting person so people stick around long enough to connect with me. I myself am rather shy around new people and that will get me nowhere as I attempt to meet new people. For example, my pilot friend tried to hook me up with this real hot stewardess while i was on vacation just this week. Being unprepared didn't help, but being that I had very little to say, she never had a chance to know the real me. I failed to even answer a simple question like "Tell me about yourself." "Well, there's not a lot exciting to say. I've lived in Colorado all my life, I work with computers.....duh.....duhh"

I can totally relate to what Rsk is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    But your environment gets you in the door. My goal is to make myself a more interesting person so people stick around long enough to connect with me. I myself am rather shy around new people and that will get me nowhere as I attempt to meet new people. For example, my pilot friend tried to hook me up with this real hot stewardess while i was on vacation just this week. Being unprepared didn't help, but being that I had very little to say, she never had a chance to know the real me. I failed to even answer a simple question like "Tell me about yourself." "Well, there's not a lot exciting to say. I've lived in Colorado all my life, I work with computers.....duh.....duhh"

I can totally relate to what Rsk is saying.
    Hey TAVS, it's good to know that I'm not alone on this one here!

But as for everyone else, I thank you for your input. I've learned a lot by reading this thread. Basically, you all are trying to say that's it's 'fake' to impress someone with qualities that I clearly do not posses. Instead, these qualities are things that the subject (the person whom I want to impress) will adhere to most (and these qualities are known before the potential encounter).

I hope I didn't confuse you...but I think that's what you are all trying to tell me. And I agree. But I just need to build some charactar of my own, that's what I feel inside. I feel I'm lacking something. And I can't wait to find it!