+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: kissing the ashtray

The last girl I was seeing apparently smokes (not the legal stuff either) and I never noticed anything. As a matter of fact, I was extremely surprised (and dissapointed) when I found out.

Yeah.. it's happened so many times!

You meet this great person, who looks good, very energetic, you have a really fun time, she's lively, knows how to have fun, (basically the works).. and then you notice that smell from her mouth; like an ashtray.. Everything has been going great, and she's an amazing person, but this one deal-breaker constantly pops up.. It reaches to the point where all you can think about is how bad her mouth smells, the option of kissing her isn't even there.. And obviously, how can you be with someone who you can't kiss.. And just like that, it goes sour..

You should just save yourself the time and ask when you notice some give-aways..

- Discoloration on teeth
    - Dry hands/fingers
    - Dry/brittle nails
    - Smoker's voice
    - It's cold outside but she's not freezing
    - Lack of blushing when laughing hard
    - Auto-compulsive habits/gestures (fidgits with stuff on the table, on her, her phone, etc)
    - Her breath

Or;

- Ask if she has a lighter because you want to show her the flame-trick.. (don't know the flame-trick? say it wouldn't work with the lighter she gave you, you need a different kind of lighter)

If she doesn't have a lighter, chances are she doesn't smoke.. (I say chances are, because she might have matches)
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I broke up with someone once b/c of this. Shallow, perhaps, but not taking care of your health (which includes not smoking) is a deal-breaker for me.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

why smoke cigarettes when you can smoke crack?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvN4VUQLJk"]YouTube - Smoking Crack in Hell's Kitchen[/ame]
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    You should just save yourself the time and ask when you notice some give-aways..

- Discoloration on teeth
    - Dry hands/fingers
    - Dry/brittle nails
    - Smoker's voice
    - It's cold outside but she's not freezing
    - Lack of blushing when laughing hard
    - Auto-compulsive habits/gestures (fidgits with stuff on the table, on her, her phone, etc)
    - Her breath
    With the exception of the breath, the rest of those "give-aways" are not either not a side effect of smoking at all, or can be explained by other causes.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    OH my god this thread is old. Anyway, the last girl I dated, was an alleged smoker. I never saw her do it and I never noticed a smell or anything. I hate dishonest people.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    With the exception of the breath, the rest of those "give-aways" are not either not a side effect of smoking at all, or can be explained by other causes.
    Yeah, as can smoker's breath.. maybe she kissed an other smoker..

Dry hands is really up there with breath though.. all the smokers i've seen have had really dry hands.. very unattractive in and of itself

Side-effects? I think brittle nails and dry skin can be left off the warning label to make room for the slightly more serious (cancer, birth defects/complication, etc)..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, as can smoker's breath.. maybe she kissed an other smoker..

Dry hands is really up there with breath though.. all the smokers i've seen have had really dry hands.. very unattractive in and of itself

Side-effects? I think brittle nails and dry skin can be left off the warning label to make room for the slightly more serious (cancer, birth defects/complication, etc)..

If you can plausibly explain the pathophysiology to me or provide me with a reputable link that agrees with your position, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

they have a no smoking law in restaurants and bars.

i can actually go there without suffocating. going out is so much fun now. except they all hang out by the door so you get a good wiff coming in. but it's better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you can plausibly explain the pathophysiology to me or provide me with a reputable link that agrees with your position, I'll buy it. Otherwise, no.
    You're a nurse, and i'm sure you have a copy of the Merck Manual..

I'm not about to sit here and explain the pathophysiology behind every giveaway.. I'll point out the ones I think are interesting though..

- Compulsive habits.. (This one is obvious).. smoking is a compulsive habit.. it's also addictive.. (good so far).. in a social situation where the smoker can't smoke, but the addiction starts to act up, the smoker will try to satisfy the urge.. When smoking is not an option, they will need to stimulate the pleasure they get from smoking, (short of putting something in their mouth) the smoker will start to take part in compulsive activities and start to play around with (sugar packets, toothpicks, salt, pepper, forks, knives, hit nails on table, etc..) this is because the compulsive nature of smoking has been anchored into the smoker.. so the "feel-good" feeling is associated with some form of compulsive habits.. (totally irrelevant, I just let out the biggest fart of my life)

- Lack of sensitivity to the cold.. (Also obvious).. women are generally more sensitive to touch then men, they are also more sensitive to the cold (get colder) then men.. Take a thermal image of a woman, and she will "seem" warmer than a man, but in fact, both are the same temperature.. A woman simply has more bloodflow on the outer areas, and when this blood comes into contact with the cold air, average body temperature cools, making her feel colder (relative to a male).. (Men have evolved to hunt, the male body has nearly 12,000 years of evolution to resist heat-loss from the cold when hunting or fighting combat.. The female body however has evolved to keep the offspring warm and actually specializes in giving off body-heat and transfers it through skin contact) This is why drinking Scotch will warm you up, but isn't a good idea if you're going back out into the cold, because it will open up blood-flow and expose your warm blood to the cold air, lowering your average body temperature.. The opposite is the case with smoking.. Take a thermal image of a smoker and a non-smoker.. The smoker almost looks blue (in thermal imaging, this simply represents less heat) because of restricted bloodflow (especially in the face, arms, hands, and fingers)).. Now, imagine having evolved 12,000 years in the opposite direction in terms of body-heat-loss.. and having a woman next to you who can resist the cold and seems almost immune to a winter's chill while you are freezing.. In fact, it never happens.. I'm Greek & I snowboard! I can resist the cold.. So if i'm cold, and the woman is half naked and not shivering, there's something going on.. And that something, is restricted bloodflow, which is preventing her from lossing body-heat via her skin contact with the cold air.. And what could that something be that's causing a restricted bloodflow? (Smoking is a likely candidate; and unless the girl is fat, smoking is usually the cause)

Now, you obviously knew all that.. and you obviously know the rest.. (the rest is not as interesting though; at least those two examples gave some fun bonus trivia info about evolution and anchoring)

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    OH my god this thread is old. Anyway, the last girl I dated, was an alleged smoker. I never saw her do it and I never noticed a smell or anything. I hate dishonest people.
    you can always smell the smoke on their fingers because they need a way of holding the cigarette.

however, one of my friends is pretty dumb and clever at the same time. he didn't want his wife to notice that he'd been smoking he he would hold the cigarette with a chop stick. that is a bit lame, but it worked.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

I snowboard!
    [url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/20498-snowboarding-continued.html[/url]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Grk - smoking causes vasoconstriction, just like exposure to cold, and decreases blood flow to the extremeties and skin (poor circulation). This is why people with cold hands and feet are told not to smoke... it makes them feel more cold than they would if they didn't smoke. [url]http://www.quickandsimple.com/article.php?id=656&menu=0[/url]

If women are half naked and snowboarding, it's because they are wanting to look cute for the boys. (duh)

You also didn't address the rest of your "give aways", which as I said, can be explained by other causes. I really think you need to provide a scientific link to back up your statement.
    Last edited by vashti; 09-02-08 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post

however, one of my friends is pretty dumb and clever at the same time. he didn't want his wife to notice that he'd been smoking he he would hold the cigarette with a chop stick. that is a bit lame, but it worked.

raverboy
    That is just hilarious. Didn't his clothes smell like smoke? His hair? When my ex-husband comes into my office to drop off our daughter he usually stays about 30 seconds but you can still smell the smoke 20 minutes later because he drags a stinky cloud around with him everywhere he goes. He's saturated.
    Spammer Spanker

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've never kissed a smoker and I never will. Smoking is so incredibly disgusting. It should be confined to the home and absolutely nowhere else. Ewh.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast