+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I broke up a couple. Did I do the wrong thing?

I broke up a couple. Did I do the wrong thing?

2 friends started dating. He is a really nice guy, but kind of a player and dislikes being tied down. She's fairly innocent and inexperienced and wants a committed boyfriend. She really liked him but wanted a commitment, something that he said he was going to take a time to figure out if he wanted. Than a month passed with them hooking up without the guy giving a response and the girl being frustrated but refusing to let him go. So I told him that if he couldn't see himself committing in the near future, he should break up with her and not lead her on. So he broke up with her. Did I do the wrong thing?

Hey, you are just the person who offered the apple. You didn't put a gun to his head to force him to eat the apple sooo... chill and relax. People make their own choices.

I think you're giving yourself too much credit here

You didn't break them up - all you did was offer advice.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think you didn't do anything wrong but given a good advice if he loves her then he will not break up with her so easily he also wanted to broke up so he did..don't think much.

You did bring the poison.
    Think they both are unhappy now and will end their lives in misery.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Not if you were only looking out for your friend, but you should be honest and tell her what you told him if she ever asks you why did he break up. I would think he wanted to anyhow and you maybe nudged him to what he wanted to do faster than he would have done on his own, IDK.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

No, I do not think you did the wrong thing at all. As others have mentioned, it isn't like you threatened to set his hair on fire if he didn't break up with her. Heck, it isn't even like you actually TOLD him to break up with her. You simply offered advice that he should not string her along, and that if he could not see himself committing, he should let her go.

You were looking out for you friend. That makes you good peeps in my book. I might say you should talk to your friend instead of talking to this fella, but I'm going to guess you probably did try that first, and she felt stuck. It would have been better to advise her to end things with him if he couldn't see fit to commit, but it sounds like she knew she really should do that, but just couldn't bring herself to pull the trigger.

As long as you weren't too rude in how you said it to him, I would say you did nothing wrong. Not only that, but you helped your friend even if she may not feel that way at first. Nothing wrong with it if the guy doesn't necessarily want to commit, as long as his partner or partners is/are okay with that. Your friend wasn't okay with the situation, so it wouldn't be right for him to keep stringing her along.