+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to tell a potential partner you have an upper limit on ex partners?

Best way to tell a potential partner you have an upper limit on ex partners?

Let me try to explain before anyone thinks that I'm being judgemental, I understand that it is not ideal but it comes from some severely traumatic experiences with previous girlfriends. I understand that "not all women are like that". Im just completely unprepared to ever go through anything like that again. When someone cheats on you and comes back acting as if nothing has happened is a violation of someones reality and forces them to engage in a relationship that they would not otherwise.

I don't want to ever bluntly ask a girl that question of how many pervious partners as it seems to be completely taboo to as a woman that question. I have never had a guy take more than a moment to answer that question and to this day I have never heard a woman do the same. I'm not being critical here, it just seems that its very private to women.

The reason I am concerned is that there is a certain peak at which the number of sexual partners correlates with failed relationships and marriages. I would also like to find a woman who has a similar sexual appetite for good compatibility, otherwise we both risk being unsatisfied. I think the ideal would be a woman with a similar number of ex partners but maybe a few less to account for the 7x less testosterone.

Im sort of looking for a way to tactfully say that my upper limit is x Im not trying to make any negative judgement, I have just made the decision to be overtly cautious and I understand that that might mean loosing someone who is perfectly wonderful.

The other problem seems to be that all of these past girlfriends were told in no uncertain terms that infidelity would be an instant end to our relationship the moment that it happened and that it was perfectly acceptable if they didn't even feel like telling me. If they didn't reply to my text that would be that, I wouldn't bother them again. However they all came back, so I am stuck in the dilemma of trying to find a way around this problem?

Thanks

You bring to mind that old song:

JIMMY SOUL
    "If You Wanna Be Happy"

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
    Never make a pretty woman your wife
    So for my personal point of view
    Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
    And very often causes his downfall
    As soon as he married her and then she starts
    To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
    A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
    An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
    And she'll always give you peace of mind

Don't let your friends say you have no taste
    Go ahead and marry anyway
    Though her face is ugly, her eyes don't match
    Take it from me, she's a better catch

[Spoken:]
    Say man!
    Hey baby!
    I saw your wife the other day!
    Yeah?
    Yeah, an' she's ug-leeee!
    Yeah, she's ugly, but she sure can cook, baby!
    Yeah, alright!

______________________________________ /

Op: If they've got no other options but you, they're going to value you more.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

One of the reasons women may hesitate on answering this question is because some men will make a future decision based on the answer. Your question is a case in point. Or in my case, it's because I've never bothered to count and remember....it's simply not important enough for me to bother figuring out.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother too much about tact. After all, if the number is too high and you dump her - the act of dumping because of her history would more than negate any tact used in asking the question.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I think if women don't answer its because they might think they had more than who ever & it will make the guy feel insecure, if she only had one or two or even three I bet she'd reply.

If it's your deal breaker better to get it asked right off then waste their time & have them catch feelings for you.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    I think if women don't answer its because they might think they had more than who ever & it will make the guy feel insecure, if she only had one or two or even three I bet she'd reply.

If it's your deal breaker better to get it asked right off then waste their time & have them catch feelings for you.
    I have realised that its obviously best to make up some other reason to tell her, but then I dont know how I would have any idea how many partners she has had. I feel like I really want a girl who is quite clean cut who perhaps reads or does something productive when they are bored rather than being entertained and getting laid. It also seem like more promiscuous girls tend to get bored of sex quickly and are alway reoccupied with attaining novel thrills. The problem comes back to the fact that the vast majority of these women are going to convince themselves at some point that they want a steady relationship regardless of wether they have the capacity for monogamy, these girls will will lie about these things and justify them with the fact that "she isn't like that anymore or it was just a phase". however some of the girls will in some cases have a hardwired preference for risky and exciting sex (the Playboy gene - effects women too).

Do you have any ideas on how I can try to determine her past without having to actually bring it up and rely on trust?

- - - Updated - - -

I have realised that its obviously best to make up some other reason to tell her, but then I dont know how I would have any idea how many partners she has had. I feel like I really want a girl who is quite clean cut who perhaps reads or does something productive when they are bored rather than being entertained and getting laid. It also seem like more promiscuous girls tend to get bored of sex quickly and are alway reoccupied with attaining novel thrills. The problem comes back to the fact that the vast majority of these women are going to convince themselves at some point that they want a steady relationship regardless of wether they have the capacity for monogamy, these girls will will lie about these things and justify them with the fact that "she isn't like that anymore or it was just a phase". however some of the girls will in some cases have a hardwired preference for risky and exciting sex (the Playboy gene - effects women too).

Do you have any ideas on how I can try to determine her past without having to actually bring it up and rely on trust?

Also I think if her number was similar to mine (23) then that should be pretty easy to remember, (do most women have a much higher number than that?)

Its sort of a red flag for me if they don't remember the guy as it show they have extremely low attachment, which is less than ideal for marriage etc.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You must be very young. In fact, you sound too young to be thinking of marriage.

Food for thought: telling a woman that infidelity is a deal breaker gives her a passive way to break up with you if she decides she is too wimpy to just do it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

"Food for thought: telling a woman that infidelity is a deal breaker gives her a passive way to break up with you if she decides she is too wimpy to just do it."

That sounds amazing, I wouldn't have any problem with that whatsoever, as long as she doesn't come back. That is the only problem. I have no trouble meeting girls and there are so so many out there that if she would prefer another guy then as long as she doesn't come back to me I will be happy for them both and even keep her as a friend. The problem is that they always come back and im sure they justify with, "what you dont know wont hurt you" which would be where we depart philosophically and ethically. One ex who had a prolific sexual history 60+ by the time she way 17, told me she had only been with 5 other guys and honestly even girls will tell you that all women lie about it, so what am I supposed to do?

Also I'm 28 so its exactly time to start thinking about marriage and I'm only interested in girls who are able to derive self esteem through virtue and not just keeping their legs open.

Even if you asked her, Polemic she could easily lie and saw several partners less than she actually had, you can't know for sure what the real number is, have to just trust & so many people lie about everything.

If real important to you, then just come out & ask in a polite way, if they take offense it won't be on how you worded it. If asked I would tell but mine is on one hand so, what do I care, every one I've been with has had LOTS more partners than me, maybe in your country people are more shy about discussing this?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Thnaks for your reply.

I agree that they can just lie and there would be nothing that I can do about it, which is why I have stayed away from relationships for the last 5 or so years. Its not what I want but the though of being with a "promiscuous" girl is too unpleasant for me me to be worth taking the risk. Do you think that If i gained the trust of one of their friends, they might at least give me a clue as to her true nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Polemic View Post
    Also I think if her number was similar to mine (23) then that should be pretty easy to remember, (do most women have a much higher number than that?)
    No, most women aren't higher than that. What exactly is your threshold? Because it really isn't that hard to find a woman who hasn't slept with more men than you have women, 23 is somewhat high for either gender.

And holy shit, are you really thinking about trying to use a woman's friends as agents to find out her "true nature"? Bro...you sound like you have PTSD from previous relationships. You don't need elaborate schemes to find out how many guys your targets have boned, you need closure on whatever the **** has happened to you in your dating life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    You bring to mind that old song:

______________________________________ /

Op: If they've got no other options but you, they're going to value you more.
    Oh, so that's how you've kept your husband happy for so long
    Last edited by dickriculous; 07-03-15 at 04:54 AM.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

You might be right about the PTSD stuff, but as far as im aware nobody is saying the cure for PTSD is to go back to war?

I have spent the last 5 years trying to get over it and im not prepared to waste any more of my life in bad relationships. I have decided on caution as a best strategy and I am lucky enough to be able to be somewhat selective as I don't have problems meeting and getting to know women so to toss a few back in the sea is not really a big issue for me. (note i have no intention of shaming them, just getting away from them asap).

As for the agent thing, I have been warned by a girls friends before, so I don't think that its out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by dickriculous View Post
    Oh, so that's how you've kept your husband happy for so long
    Actually it's my oral skillzzz
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Polemic View Post
    You might be right about the PTSD stuff, but as far as im aware nobody is saying the cure for PTSD is to go back to war?
    Never said it was. Reread the post you're quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemic
    I have spent the last 5 years trying to get over it and im not prepared to waste any more of my life in bad relationships. I have decided on caution as a best strategy and I am lucky enough to be able to be somewhat selective as I don't have problems meeting and getting to know women so to toss a few back in the sea is not really a big issue for me. (note i have no intention of shaming them, just getting away from them asap).
    I already know all of this about you from your previous posts. It doesn't answer the question I posed - what is your upper limit? You mentioned having been with 23 women...shouldn't be that hard to find a woman who's been with fewer men than that. Most of them have been with fewer men.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemic
    As for the agent thing, I have been warned by a girls friends before, so I don't think that its out of the question.
    My point was that your idea represents the type of paranoia that's more likely to ruin a relationship than a high partner count.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

Quote Originally Posted by dickriculous View Post
    Never said it was. Reread the post you're quoting.

I already know all of this about you from your previous posts. It doesn't answer the question I posed - what is your upper limit? You mentioned having been with 23 women...shouldn't be that hard to find a woman who's been with fewer men than that. Most of them have been with fewer men.

My point was that your idea represents the type of paranoia that's more likely to ruin a relationship than a high partner count.
    My upper limit would be 12, partly based on the fact that men have 7x the testosterone level. I understand that paranoia can ruin a relationship, which is why I want to deal with the issue off the bat before things go further. I would guess that most attractive women have been with more guys than 24 by the age of 28.

I would guess that most attractive women have been with more guys than 24 by the age of 28.
    I would imagine that attractive women that don't want a longterm boyfriend would have more then 24 partners by the time they are 28 or, that women that have emotional problems or self esteem problems may have more then that at 28...

... but I'm thinking that those that want to/wanted to settle down with one man, those that do not use their vagina's to try and emotionally engage a man would not have that many.

YOU, op just have to know how to pick a chick without issue or one that has not wanted anything less then long term relationships. Her numbers would not be anywhere near 24 by the time she is 28.

That being said, Your question to the ladies you find attractive should be: "How many long term relationships have you been in" rather then "how many men have you had sex with." (or anything along that line).

Now before those that have had more then 24 by the time they are 28 try to justify or project or flame. I'm not talking smack about you... unless of course you find that you are in fact one of the two types I've mentioned... then you can justify all you want but the op won't believe a word you're saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast