+ Follow This Topic

Thread: help, how do i ask my parents for money?

help, how do i ask my parents for money?

Well, its not really money but I do need help in paying my tuition for school this semester. I basically almost used up my school fund in the past 3 1/2 years I been in college for. Every semester my tuition has been raised like $200 for some reason (Thank you NYC -.-). I wanted to apply for financial aid but I would need my mom or dad's social security number. I am kind of scared asking my mom, except with the excuse " I want to see if I would get anything you know?". Also my mom is currently paying for my sister's tuition so I would feel bad asking for money for that.

My friend gets financial aid (but he doesn't have to use his parents information unlike me since his father is not in his life and his mother wasn't born in the USA). Now I can ask my dad but I feel bad too, but my dad did tell me a few months ago he did not think that the money I had would last all 4 years. I applied for a scholarship for money through my father's job for next semester. I don't know what to do pay for half my tuition right now and then ask my dad or just pay later but apply for financial aid?

i'm not sure how to ask my mom or dad this, and I been applying to jobs but nobody is answering me back. The one job I did get I had to pay for a stinkin class so i'm putting in more money than what that job would give me and I read online that company pays with commissions not a check so I never went back. I even applied for summer youth as where I live you can be up to age 24 so i still made the cut. What should I do about the tuition though? how do I ask my parents?

I'm sure McDonalds is hiring... they always are, so put an application in there and make some money to put towards your tuition and more likely then not, your parents will cover what you can't.

You may even put it to them that way... "Mom/Dad if I get a job at McDonalds to help with my tuition will you and mom/dad help me with the rest?"

Let us know how it goes .... go into your local McDonalds and fill out an application first. My daughter worked at Tim Horton's (local coffee franchise) and we paid for her tuition but she bought all her own books. Make it a fair negotiation which includes you not just asking for a handout.

Good luck.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Instead of asking your parents for money, tell them about your money issues and ask their advice on getting a job. As they know you, they may be able to give advice which we can't.

But things to think about:

Dress appropriately for an interview
    A well written CV which has no typos
    Willingness to do any job you can find.

I know some people your age who are quite specific about what jobs they will do. Apparently they wouldn't lower themselves to working at McD or a supermarket. And as a parent, I wouldn't contribute financially unless my child was willing to do *any* work.

- - - Updated - - -

Wakeup, my 15yo will only deign to work at particular dress shops which stock the indie clothes she likes. Clearly she doesn't need any financial help from us for those 'nice to haves'
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Try to find part time job earn some money & ask parents for balance payment. Tell them your goals.