+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What does my ex want?

What does my ex want?

So I dated this guy for 2 months. It wasn't long but it was a confusing whirlwind that ultimately lead us both to going our both ways. I didn't think it hurt as much as it did. He wasn't the best boyfriend, but I regret confronting him about it. I should have let him do his thing and just rolled with it instead of trying to change him. We would still be together if I did. So anyways, ever since the breakup he has been flirting. I have caught him staring at me and his friends till me he still talks about me. He still flirts playfully with me and smiles at me. I shouldn't want him back but I do. His friend, who has a crush on me, tells me everything from him saying he wants me back and him trying to get with other girls. My friend who is close with him said he has spoken about how his feelings haven't changed. We also had to close dance a number of times for a school activity and the first time we did he flirted super hard. The other times we didn't talk much. So I asked my friend who is really close to tell him I still have feelings.. He came up to me and said "I don't like you". It made me sad; but then he hugged me. Full on, open arms, hug. I know he likes these 2 girls. Ever since then he's said hi and talked to me uncomfortably and briefly. My friend said she caught him smiling and checking me out during math. he said he doesn't like me, but then wouldn't he stop flirting? If he didn't like these other girls, would he want me back? I'm so confused. I told him we should try to be friends still and he said "Oh" and touched my arm.
    Last edited by arcticmia; 23-03-15 at 03:11 PM.

I guess this is more about him being confused than anything else. Most probably, he's attracted to you physically, and can't get over it.
    Otherwise, some guys like to play mind games. It just makes us feel a bit better about ourselves. The bad part is that we don't realize we are hurting a nice person.
    Try to stay away from him if you think that's the case, otherwise confront him once and for all. And always sound confident. Make up your mind about this guy. Your thoughts should be really clear to yourself, otherwise you'll just complicate the situation.

You don't really want him back, you just want a relationship, like anyone else. Do not confuse the two. He is not right for you.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

He wasn't the best boyfriend, but I regret confronting him about it. I should have let him do his thing and just rolled with it instead of trying to change him. We would still be together if I did.
    Sorry but ^^^This is probably the dumbest thought process I've ever read.

Please enlighten me by telling me what good would it be if you were still with someone that wasn't making you happy? *shaking my head*

Stop talking to your friends and ESPECIALLY his friends about him. You can do better then someone who right to your face tells you he doesn't like you. He is trying to tell you without hurting you further that he wants to be free to date other girl(s). Do the work to get over him and change what you are currently doing which is: imagining that every look or action is him still wanting you. It means nothing and he's just enjoying your hope and attention.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    You don't really want him back, you just want a relationship, like anyone else. Do not confuse the two. He is not right for you.
    Completely agree.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Completely agree.
    Yup.
    Don't get into the habit of dating a guy who you feel wasn't the best boyfriend.
    Don't settle for less than what makes you happy.
    Otherwise you won't like yourself later.

He doesn't really like that he's been defeated by you. If he really cared about you, he wouldn't flirt with you after the fact. If you want to date him again, that's up to you, but never date someone more than twice. It's a good rule.