+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dna test - who should pay for it

Dna test - who should pay for it

Gf cheated and fall pregnant, unsure of who is the father, and she doesn't want to know cos the other man is her boss and parents age. She's happy for me to get one, but questions why I want her tested aswell.

Is it fair for me to be asking for at least half or all?

Oh for fvcks sake, you're actually worrying about whether or not to split the cost of a DNA test? If you want one, then just pay for it. Insisting on her paying half will only further stir the pot of bad will between the two of you.

That being said, I think you need to consider what you'd do with the results if you do get a DNA test. What if you want to stay with your girlfriend and raise this child as your own? If you do, then don't worry about a DNA test.

However, if you've broken up and don't want future contact with her or the child if it's not yours, then get a DNA test.

I don't think that the future of this relationship should hinge on the lottery of who's sperm fertilised the egg.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Just pay for the DNA test yourself but be prepared as to what exactly you will do with the information that a DNA test will reveal.

If you and your skanky wife break up and you've not had a paternity test done then you will be responsible for child support for that child (even if he's not yours) for the next 18 years or longer if he continues on to post secondary schooling.

I think in your particular circumstance of a promiscuous partner that can't be monogamous that you get that test. Your relationship most likely does not have much of a chance of lasting past her next extra-marital affair. You don't trust her much now and that's not going to get anything other then worse if the two of you don't get the marital counselling it takes to get over the mistrust and zero personal boundaries she is with.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

To my knowledge, if have had a DNA test done and the child isn't yours, but you still raise the child as your own for a substantial amount of time, you'll still be up for child support. The courts look at fatherhood - not DNA.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

^^^ Yes that's how it works here too.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

If you want it real bad and don't want to waste time on her arguing that she won't pay, you pay for it all.

Just pay for it yourself to avoid drama...plus would you wait really if she didn't pay for part of it? Ekks...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If someone injures you and you need legal advice, are you going to wait for them to pay for 1/2?

Get the test done and leave her out of it. Protect yourself.

PS - your relationship is over.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh