+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Did I do good? and What now?

Did I do good? and What now?

Just so you know, as a disclaimer, I have never, ever even remotely been in a relationship until just now. I have literally zero experience with this sort of thing.

So anyway, there's this girl...about two weeks ago she asked me to prom. She's a senior (18) and I'm a junior (17). I said yes, because I kind of liked her I guess and plus she was a really fun person. However, I grew more and more interested in her since then...leading me to ask her to the movies last weekend. We went, and it was pretty nice. Nothing really intimate (she put her head on my shoulder a couple times). Overall it was a really nice time, we got to talk a lot.

I also kind of surprised her at her chorus concert last week. She wasn't expecting me to be there, but I thought it would be nice if I showed up. When she saw me in the crowd and afterwards, she was ecstatic. I didn't stay terribly long after that, but I think I made my impression. Apparently the next day she said it was really sweet.

Then, there was prom last night. I honestly did not expect to go, but was so glad that I did. It was a blast. I spent most of it with her, and basically spent the entire time dancing and laughing and stuff. I'm an absolutely horrible dancer, but she didn't seem to mind. I just acted like my goofy self around her, made her laugh a lot, and prom night went off without a hitch. I think we both had a lot of fun there. I held her hand near the end, and she seemed to like it.

So we were driving back to her place, and, well...I asked her to go out with me. I am not really sure what the right way to approach this would have been, but the night would have felt incomplete if I didn't at least try to make some sort of move. So I asked her, really abruptly and kind of suddenly, when we were both super tired, if she wanted to go out with me. She paused for a second, and then said something like "yes...I think we could try to make it work."

Something about the way I asked it I think might have been a little bit awkward, but I made up for it by acting really silly afterwards, and she laughed again so we ended the night on good terms. Do you guys think I made the right call here? Is there a right time to "ask her to go out with me"? Was it a good idea to actually ask it, or should it have just naturally happened? Remember that I am the biggest noob at all of this, so please let me know if you don't think that this was a good move. Part of me thinks it was, part of me thinks it wasn't. She seemed satisfied with it afterwards, but she also seemed tired so I don't know.

Also, now I am freaking out because I don't know how to proceed. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A RELATIONSHIP BEFORE, SO I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT IS TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE. I think it would probably be best to take things on the slow side, and I'm planning on asking her for a third date, like something simple like dinner or something. I am just so incredibly nervous because I don't want to screw this up. I really like her a lot. Should I be texting her? Should I let her initiate conversation? Should I let her ask me out next, or is my plan about dinner sometime a good one? How much is too slow, or too fast? Please help me on this, because I have no idea what to do right now.

Any and all advice would be very appreciated.

Good on you for having a great night at the prom and manning up to ask her out.

Next thing is to tell her you had a great evening and ask if she'd like to go out with you on X or Y night. Don't say "sometime" because if the date gets left open, it gets awkward. Be decisive. And have fun.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.