+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Falling into deep depression and desperately need help!!!

Falling into deep depression and desperately need help!!!

This is a long, complicated story so I will try to make it as to the point as possible. A few months ago I left a 3 year relationship and unexpectedly met someone at work. This was in the end of Feb. He'd been casually dating another girl from work before this but once we hung out he stopped seeing her and was focused on me. He had only been working at the store for like 6 months because he had moved up from FL so he told me that he was moving back in a month or so to finish school. We had only gone out a couple times so I was like, "ok, that's fine. Let's enjoy time with each other now and just keep in touch." But he was adamant about making a commitment to each other and trying long distance for the year while he finished his degree because he "didn't want to lose me." It all seemed a little much and super fast to me but we spent more time together and I decided to just take a chance and see where it goes.
    He was hesitant about heading back to FL until I agreed to make plans to visit so I could meet his family and friends. I took some time off from work and around the end of March he bought me a plane ticket for a week in the middle of May. So for the next month we spent almost every day together. I even had him over and cooked a big family dinner so he could meet everyone. Him and I also video chatted with his family once. We got really close. We had been intimate physically and emotionally. He told me a lot how serious he is about me and how strong feelings are. He told me that he knew in his heart that I am for him and he would do everything in his power to make our relationship work. He had mentioned from the very beginning that he had only had one relationship and that it was very poor. He told me she was his first love but that they were very different from each other in an incompatible way and that they were together for a very long time but were not in love. And that it was hard for him to leave because she always made him feel bad about it and even though he didn't love her she still wanted him. He said he wanted something real because that experience was not fulfilling for him.

We spent lots of time together and I believed he left for FL in mid April. We spoke everyday. Then towards the end of April my ex called me which he had done before and I would tell my current guy because I didn't want any secrets. The first time I told him when he was still around. We talked in person and he reacted very maturely about it which was nice. But this time when I told him he was very upset. He was cold to me but I let him know throughout the day that he was my priority and had nothing to worry about about. I apologized for answering and told him I would ignore his calls because they were only causing trouble because my ex was telling me he missed me and it was making my current guy doubt my feelings, i thought. Me and my guy texted throughout that night. he said he was at his friends place and I believed him to still be in FL. However he texted me at like 2 that night saying to call if i was up because he just got home. So i called and he was acting very odd and told me to look out my window so i did and he was outside my house, waved, and walked away into the night. I was obviously shocked and totally freaked out because he was supposed to be in FL. He wouldn't explain until the next day because I told him that he scared me and that that was unacceptable behavior. He explained he was visiting his father near by and planned on surprising me but that he got really upset when I told him about the phone call with the ex. I definitely did not agree with the behavior but I could understand his side too so I told him he needed to work on his communication if this was going to work. We never saw each other during "that visit." we only spoke about that over the phone.

I was shaken from and disappointed by that experience because I hadn't seen him act like that before. He always seemed pretty patient, understanding, and mature up until that point. He seemed like he was losing it a little because he was like, "i feel so strongly about you I just want to make sure you are serious too." meaning that i won't go back to my ex. So we moved on from that weird incident and things were going alright right up until about a week before I was supposed to leave for FL. There was one day I didn't hear from him at all and couldn't reach him all day which was unusual for him. He later said he was off surfing with friends and left his phone. And I was sensing distance from him. Something was off. Then one day I was feeling a little anxious so when he called I tried talking to him about it and he got very short and even kind of mean with me. He basically just didn't want to deal and any other time I was ever having a tough time he was so patient and loving. He even told me on multiple occassions to come to him for anything because he wanted me to be happy and taken care of. I did not like how he treated me so I just kind of backed off and gave him space. I kept things light when we spoke and decided to address it in person because the communication was off, I thought maybe due to being so far away from each other.

A couple of days later his phone service disabled his calls because they said they hadn't received payment so he messaged me on a messaging app and we communicated like that until the night before I was supposed to leave. I knew something was wrong and I didn't feel comfortable going unless we talked on the phone. We started to and then he abruptly ended the conversation and never called back. The next morning while leaving for work I got a notification that his ex had started following me on instagram. I thought she was in FL too and it all seemed so weird. I texted him asking why is she doing that and he sent me a text back saying that with everything that has happened he doesn't think we are ready for this. This was Sunday morning and I was supposed to be heading to the airport for a 6 am flight on monday. He told me he'd call later to talk and since I realized there was way more to the story I told him no need to talk wish you the best and do whatever makes you happy. I was sick of the games and guessing. But a little later that day his "ex" commented on a picture of a drawing I had given him that was on my instagram and said "thanks for the drawing you gave my husband" and tagged him in the comment. He then blocked me from his phone and instagram.

This all happened this past sunday. It is now Saturday and I had't heard anything until last night when his MOTHER texted me saying she wanted to explain what's been happening. She called me today and explained that the two had actually gotten married 5 years ago when he was only 19. They are both from the Dominican republic but he was already a citizen living in FL and she wasn't. His mother did not want them to get married but he said it's what he wanted. His mother ended up having to house the two of them and she said she never liked the girl. She was very spoiled and expected everything to be handed to her and she never spoke to anyone in the family. Which is what he had told me of her as well. After about 4 months he told his mom he wanted a divorce because he didn't love this girl. His mother went to the Dominican republic to talk to the girls's parents and they basically said he agreed to marry her so they would need to take care of her and she wanted citizenship. So she lived with them for a year until his mother said she couldn't handle it anymore. And the girl was unhappy anyway because he didn't love her and never wanted to touch her or be sexual with her. She had family in CT so she moved up here. The whole story isn't totally clear to me but for some reason he eventually went up to live with her. His mother made it sound like there was always a lot of guilt and the girl's arents involved in his decisions. Sooo when I met him while he was living up here he was living with this girl in this crazy situation and actually lied to me for the last month and has been in CT. He actually went back to FL this past Sunday when I was supposed to go with him. His mother told me that he cared about me but was scared to tell me and she didn't think it was right so she reached out. And she said the reason things got crazy on Saturday and I never finished my phone conversation with him was because he had all his bags packed for FL and the girl found my drawing that I gave him and he told her about me. Now his mom tells me he is staying down there looking for a job and that she wants to take him to therapy because he's been in this very manipulative relationship with this girl and her parents. And she said he still cannot finalize the divorce until 2016 because he feels so guilted by his wife's family to get her citizenship. It's a very weird situation because even though they are married it sounds like they have not truly had a relationship for a very long time. And even though he definitely was not honest in explaining his situation everything he had said about this girl and the dynamic of the relationship is true based on what his mother also told me.

I finally spoke to him after speaking with his mom. He apologized profusely and said what he did was unforgivable. He also said that he loved me so much and that all he wanted was to be with me but that he messed up and was now paying the price. He said he wish he could go back and do everything right. I feel for his situation because he got caught up in something really unfortunate and he just wants to be happy and move on with his life and have good relationships but obviously trust is really broken between us. Neither of us are trying to pursue a relationship obviously but I am still so in love with him. I still think about us together I think about how much I miss being close to him and everything I wanted to share and experience with him. And even more than that I truly love him unconditionally as a person. I want to see him grow, get out of this situation, move on and be happy. I know no matter what I need to move on from this but in the back of my mind I wonder if things could ever work between us in the future. He still claims he loves me so strongly that he never thought he could feel this way for someone and that his heart will always be mine no matter what happens in our lives. He said he's not trying to get me back but maintains that i am the only one who will ever have his heart.

l desire him so strongly and want to love him, care for him, have adventures with him, grow and share my life with him. I am out of my mind for feeling this way? I will not form a relationship now because I deserve better but I can't just turn off my feelings for him. I almost hope we'll end up together somehow as crazy as it sounds.

I tend to make excusesfor the people I love and I forgive way too easily. Every word or action on his part always leaves me with more questions. He told me the other night that he was going to call the following day and tell me everything and that he was heart broken and missed me. After everything I wasn't expecting much from him because he clearly has deep issues and has proven he is a coward but I'm giving him this option to clear his conscience and sure enough he never called. I'm not sure if he really cares but just cannot bring himself to tell the whole truth to me or if he is just incapable of real love and just telling me what he thinks I want to hear without realizing how it would affect me. Either way he definitely has major issues and I will go insane trying to figure him out. If he really cared about and loved me he would want to set things right with me. I am very understanding and easy to talk to. I have no intention of judging or chastising him for his actions if he chooses to tell me. I'm only offering to listen as a step toward him unburdening himself of all these very heavy lies and so he can change his life for the better. But it's his life and he's got to want and work towards changing for himself. I will not contact him and when and if he ever chooses to talk I will listen but I don't expect much of anything from this guy at this point.

He said he planned all along to move somewhere after he graduated and we were even talking about me moving down there and getting a place with him for the year he was still in school. That's how serious I was about this guy! he was talking, marriage, kids. and forever but he may just be a complete liar. I don't know what his end game truly was and probably never will.

It is just so hard for me to turn off my feelings for someone. I'm a very sensitive, honest, and expressive person and it is hard for me to even understand that there are people out there who are just complete liars and users. I tend to believe in the good in people and it usually leaves me hurt. But then I forgive because I think everyone is hurt or wounded in some way and just doing the best they have learned or know how to love and be loved and i don't want to hold resentment in my heart. On the flip side I am very hard on myself.

I like that I am loving and forgiving but I want to change my ways and not find myself in situations where people take advantage of me. And not to sound conceited but I'm a very attractive woman so I get a lot of male attention and male friends who fail for my looks and gentle naturr. I have numerous outside perspectives who mention that my looks are a major factor in my problems with men. I have tried to deny it and dont see myself as being particularly beautiful. Yes, I see myself as attractive but it is others who tell me that I am blind to my own charms and that men are always after me. So yes, it does draw people towards me and is something I am not fully comfortable with. I'm also a talented artist and dancer so i have a lot of creative and seductive outlets that attract people to me and I'm not always entirely sure if they are motivated just by external beauty and lust or something deeper. I usually think it's something deeper but maybe I'm naive. Because I have a big heart I draw in people needing to be healed?obviously I have some major hangups of my own, self esteem and confidence issues which is probably why I find myself in situations like this with people like him but I don't know how to change. I just want to be loved, accepted, and respected for who i am just like anyone else and I have so much love to give.

I am just driving myself crazy wondering what the hell his true motives was and are. Like why keep telling me I'm the of his life and then leave me hanging? I'm obsessing and torturing myself over this and I'm falling into a deep depression. I don't want to burden the people I love but I am losing it. I feel totally hopeless and don't want to live. Why did he want to have a relationship with me so bad instead of just keeping things casual and staying in touch while he was away (or waiting til he could divorce her)?

Hi and please dont feel depressed or sad over this guy or any guy for that matter, love should only make u happy, sorry to say but someone has to be brutally honest and tel u that such guys are not worthy of ur time or love, u said u are creative, artist and a dancer so u have all those talents so u should keep yourself busy with those, when the times comes a nice guy will treat u the right way and love u the way u deserve to be loved, meanwhile take care of yourself, eat right and exercise, help people who are in need, mayb even join a charity and volunteer,
    In any case dont blame yourself for what happened and i would also suggest u dont talk to him or listen to him even, he is not the right guy for u and we should always look for and find people who inspire us to be a better person, let experts do their job and take care of him. Always remember, U DESERVE TO BE HAPPY!!

You are allowing yourself to be vulnerable. A kind hearted woman must always take extra precaution to not get trampled upon.
    Understand that while he may be a fairly good person, to string you along, to string anyone along is poor form. You must understand that while he may not have actually fully played you, your definitely not being treated the way you ought be.

Time to take off the rose tinted glasses and take a good look from outside in. What do you see? Because from where I'm standing I see a good and kind lady being mistreated by a man who knows not what he wants and has taken you unjustly along for the ride.
    So? What do you do about it now? This is up to you.
    But know this. YOU are in control of your life. No one else, just you.
    Don't forget who you are.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm sorry I'm so delayed in responding. I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately, it's not easy for me to let go of love and me and him have been talking again for the past month, speaking on the phone and video chat several times a day. He told me everything and expressed a lot of regret for keeping it from me. He also didn't press at all for us to start dating again but just wanted me to know how he really felt. But we did eventually fall back into it under the conditions that his behavior was unacceptable and now he needs to earn back my trust because he lost it. We are also making plans for me to visit him in a week because I am really torn and I know I can't go on like this long distance and need to make an absolute decision one way or the other. And I feel like once I go and meet his family i will know what to do. It's really hard for me to leave someone I'm in love with even if it's not right for me but I'm committing to myself that if I go and it doesn't feel right I'm done and if this trip doesn't happen for any reason I'm also done.

Honestly, the trip sounds like a bad idea. I know your emotions are running high, but I would personally cancel, and stop talking to him. Once your cooler head prevails, you'll agree that going is/was a bad idea.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Lovage,

Your making it harder on yourself if you go BUT I suppose I understand. It's one of those 'if I don't go i'll never know' situations that some just can't do.
    So i'll say this.
    Watch the signs. And, listen to them. Stay strong and guard your heart