+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Disclosing Potential HPV to future partners (As a male)

Disclosing Potential HPV to future partners (As a male)

Hello friends. When I was with my ex GF she had an abnormal PAP. Doc said she had HPV and abnormal cell growth. She had surgery done, and was fine…no harm, no foul. We ended up splitting up later for unrelated reasons. That was 2 years ago. I don't have any symptoms, and never had any. There is also no way to test for it in males, so many professionals say it's not necessary to say anything. I'm in my 20s and dating another woman. We had sex once, but the thought never even occurred to me at the time. Should I mention it? I know there is a school of thought that believes it's just a thing everyone gets eventually, like the common cold of sex, and there is no point in mentioning it since statistically at our age, she has had it too. Realistically, I'm sure I had it while we were dating, but being 2 years ago, and having no way to test for it in males, is it worth telling my new partner? Kinda stressing...

If you are being safe there is no reason. Someone is lying to you, because you can get tested for HPV.

From Web MD - webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-genital-warts/hpv-virus-men

To diagnose genital warts in men, the doctor will visually check a man's genital area to see if warts are present. Some doctors will apply a vinegar solution to help identify warts that aren't raised and visible. But the test is not foolproof. Sometimes normal skin is mistakenly identified as a wart.

There is no routine test for men to check for high-risk HPV strains that can cause cancer. However, some doctors are urging anal Pap tests for gay and bisexual men, who are at higher risk of anal cancer caused by HPV.
    http://www.asmr.fm

Ask her if she has ever been vaccinated against HPV? If she says "no" then tell her so that she makes sure she gets her annual pap smear. She should be smart enough to be getting annual pap smears if she is sexually active anyway but some women are dumb enough to forego that and too lax to insist on their new partners wear a rubber. If you're that "stressing" then I hope you have enough common courtesy to have been wearing one while you stress? Yes?

HPV can lead to cervical cancer if left unchecked.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

It is possible to get tested for HPV I would suggest you get tested first before you stress her maybe for no reason
    Get your lost lover back instantly.

Op: Your test will be inconclusive if you don't have any noticeable warts so the advice about not stressing her out until you know could be dangerous to your new gf's health. If you have been wearing a rubber the whole time you have been with her and if she's smart enough to have been getting her yearly pap smear and gotten the vaccination then I think you can probably not stress too much about it. Other then that, you need to keep her safe and find out her pap smear history and if she doesn't have a good history with those things then get her doing them at least.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion