+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guy's Career

A Guy's Career

Is a guy's career very important to him that he has to get it right (make zillions of dollars/get the promotion), before commiting to something or someone else?

Tone Guest
    Personally, I'd never let anything like that come before my SO. Life, to me, isn't about how much money you can make or how much your boss likes you... what matters is finding that special person to spend your life with and the times you guys have together.

But that's just me!

It depends on the guy. My career is only mildly important. Sure, I'd love to make a bunch of money, but as long as I'm making enough to meet my needs (including entertainment, hobbies, etc) then I'm happy. I find a successful relationship 100X more rewarding than a career. For example, right now my career is going nowhere and I'm single. Guess where my energy is going. Exactly, I can worry about my career later. But it really depends on the person.
    Last edited by TAVS; 14-09-05 at 11:13 PM.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Tone---yeah well I wish I knew more guys like you.

I keep hearing this line, "I've got x number of years to make it, so it's really crucial for me right now. I just don't have the time....".

Thought maybe it's an excuse, they just don't want to date the girl.

Than again, I see this repeated everywhere so maybe it's not an excuse?

I agree with Tone. Although so many women out there care about those things very much so guys try to get a career before anything else.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Tone Guest
    The only thing work is to me, is means to provide for myself and my family.

I agree to an extent; I still believe money is important once you have a family.

Asip4u----That is partly true. There are women who want to be wined, dined, chauffuered around, so they will go for guys with good careers. ie. potential Mr Moneybags.

Just generally notice that once a guy is absorbed in his career, he is totally 100% absorbed. It becomes like some quest.

Tone Guest
    Yeah I know what you mean Chlorine... I've always, ever since I was little, vowed to never be that kinda guy.

I hear what you're all saying, but would it be nice to be financially comfortale for your kids? Live in a nice safe area with good schools? Be able to put money away for college etc.?

You can have both, you don't have to be "that guy".

Work now, play later.

Kiechi is extremely right with that statement. It's just a matter of priorities really. Some want to focus on their career and make a great living but in turn miss out on some really great personal opportunities. Other don't really worry about their career at all and just wanna have fun but they end up struggling through many parts of their lives. I'm of the mind that as long as you don't side with one extreme you should be ok.

Personally, I realize how important money is but if a special person or opportunity came about I doubt I'd choose to focus on work and avoid something I could really enjoy, if nothing else the memories.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    I hear what you're all saying, but would it be nice to be financially comfortale for your kids? Live in a nice safe area with good schools? Be able to put money away for college etc.?

You can have both, you don't have to be "that guy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Work now, play later.
    I agree with these two, but then again, I am very practical by nature, and don't really understand people who elevate romance above practicality.

I consider myself quite practical as well, but I also value memories over money. While I keep myself well above water as far as finances, I wouldn't enjoy life if it was all about career and making money. I need my time to travel and see people.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I agree with these two, but then again, I am very practical by nature, and don't really understand people who elevate romance above practicality.
    That's b/c they don't have any "real" responsibilities yet; read: kids.

Most of the people on this forum are young and single; and most of those people live at home with their parents. Their only concern is dating and making enough money for the date and gas in their car.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast