+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I am not sure what to talk about with someone I like though.

I am not sure what to talk about with someone I like though.

I am a shy girl that usually don't know what to talk about when I am on a date with someone. I don't want the person to think that I'm not interested in him if I don't talk much though. What can a shy girl like me talk about so that the person would be interested in me. I think usually guys would like to talk to a girl who isn't that quiet right. I don't know what to do though. I usually get shy around someone I like. Then I don't know what to talk about. Does anyone here know if a guy meets a shy girl that he will try to talk more if she doesn't though. I think it will be cool if the person can talk more than me though. Ya I just want to find someone that likes a girl like me though.

Talk about your own interests and passions. And ask them about theirs. Then try and find common ground.

Sport is always a good starter. Do you play any sports? Could be anything from skiing to swimming to soccer....just throw it out there and see what you get.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I don't have that many interests though. It will be hard for me to talk about them ya. Do guys really want to find someone with the interests they like. Would the guy try doing something with me if he likes me though. I think it's hard to find someone that likes the things that I like to do though.
    I'm not sure what to do ya.

Talking with a guy is no different to talking with your friends. Even if you don't have much in common, you still talk about what you've been doing lately. Talk about current issues. News. Interesting trivia which you found recently.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You sound very young, so what I am going to suggest is coming from that assumption.

People tend to have more to talk about when they have gained knowledge (and/or opinions) about various things... hobbies, sports, politics, school, books, movies, etc. If you do not have any opinion about any of these things, you need to forget about boys for a while, and do more exploring for your own personal growth.

Additionally, I think you need to stop thinking about how awkward you feel, and start thinking about how to make others feel more comfortable around you. Right now, your thoughts are very "self-focused", and it's hard to connect to others when you have that mindset.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

It's always a good idea to meet in the park and just hang out watching people and talking about everything you see - the weather, the roadworks, your favourite coffee shop, that woman out there with a dog which looks so silly you can't stop laughing. Trees, birds, sports you like, movies you enjoy, books you've read recently, school, work, celebrities, cars, whatever takes your fancy, really. I remember my first date with a guy, we went to an Italian restaurant and we were both so shy and nervous, we started talking about the food we might or might not order, and then about food we like in general, and food we hate, and then somehow it spilled onto other subjects and it was fine in the end There is stuff we all have in common, no matter how otherworldly we might think ourselves: we all have to eat, so food; we all interact with others, so people we know; we all went to school at some point in our lives; we all did some work or dreamt of working as someone; we have things we like to do in our spare time, whether it's paragliding, watching the night sky, or watching tv. There are plenty of topics that wait to be taken up... I know it's difficult to make the first move sometimes but if you pluck up your courage and do it, you will be very glad you did - not to mention so proud of yourself! And the best thing is, the more you practice, the easier it gets so you go girl and chat away! Best of luck xx

As long as it isn't to an extreme level, shy is not automatically a bad thing. I happen to like shy women because it forces me out of my shell a little. It forces me out of my comfort zone, but in a good way, because I myself am very shy. Not to mention, to some degree, shy can actually be kind of cute in a gal. The whole innocent, girl next door kind of thing. Frankly, guys often like being the one to get the ball rolling, so some guys may like that they get to sort of drive the conversation and attempt to pull you out of your shell.

As long as you aren't sitting there all awkward and silent even when he tries to talk to you, I don't think it is too big a deal. All the same, though, take it from another shy person, it is definitely worth it to work on getting over it little by little.

I wish I could say it is easy, but it's not. Really, the only way to get past it is to start forcing yourself to get past it little by little. Maybe you start little. For example, talk to a random stranger of the same gender in just a friendly manner. Or engage yourself in some new hobbies where you will meet and can chat with new friends. Trust me, it may sound too good to be true, but the more you put yourself out there, the easier it becomes.

When on a date, you can talk about almost anything. As others have said, it can be as simple as what kind of movies and TV shows you watch and things like that. Just ask questions. Obviously you want to get to know the guy better, so ask him things you'd want to know. How else could you determine if you two are a good match?

Don't beat yourself up too much for being shy. Trust me, I know how hard that can be to get over. All the same, don't give up on yourself. It isn't easy, but you can work on it and improve it a bit. I'm living proof. I may still not be Mr. Life of the Party, but past me would be amazed at the me I have become now. Good luck to you.

Hi Asiangal555,

I am a male and a great communicator (majored in both communication and mass communication). I have joined this forum in an attempt to broaden my knowledge on the topics of love, passion, relationships and varies forms of communication. Because I have been told most of my life that I am a very approachable person and excellent listener, I have decided to dedicate some time refining these skills, with the hope of one day becoming a life, love, and relationship coach for those whom may be in need of help in one, or all of these departments. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you are in search of someone to speak with and possibly help you improve upon these skills i.e. practice I can be reached at email [email]adaptyourmessage@gmail.com[/email] and BTW, my name is Ryan