+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it time to let him go ?

Is it time to let him go ?

My bf and I have been fighting pretty much every day when we text and last night we were having a discussion and he ended up seeing it as a fight cause I basically "hurt his manpride" by saying I thought his female friend should get some sex advice from another female instead of a guy. He took it all wrong and thought I kept saying "he wasnt good enough with his exp to tell a girl" or "he doesn't know anything" and it ended up with him getting SUPER pissed for no reason than "reading between the lines" and he basically told me he hates me now, im crazy, im only for sex at this point and short memories. Yet, he didn't want to break up with me, he just started attacking me verbally calling me a "bossy ass bitch" cause i was asking him to calm down, me saying I still loved him and I don't think he's in his right mind rn telling me "f you" and pretty much just trying to make me mad to break up with him instead. I don't know if I should, cause I see it as him winning, and I feel he doesn't really mean what he said, like you just have those feelings when you're with someone and idk if it's true or not but I think he's just taking all his stress out on me and that he still has feelings because why else wouldn't he just break up with me if somehow he still wanted to hold onto things. So I feel i should keep going and try to rebuild things because I just believe neither of us truly want to give up and throw this away, but I may be just naive. I'd like advice.

Up to you how long you keep trying with someone that you fight everyday with. Just keep in mind that everyday you keep trying with someone you don't even get alone with very well, the longer it will be before you get over him and can find someone that you get along with and who respects you. Someone you are actually compatible with enough to last a LIFEtime with.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

All of us get angry at times, and all of us have had moments where we do or say something we did not mean/later regret. Anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar. Without being closer to the situation, I cannot say for sure, but it could be possible that he only said those things because he was already upset. Sometimes when we are angry we over-react. From what you described about saying his female friend should be getting sex advice from another female instead of a guy, my thought was "Yeah, that makes sense. Would a woman want to get advice like that from another woman, not a guy?" I did not get the impression that you meant it like "Why would she get advice from YOU? Like you know anything about that?" However, in his heightened frustration, he may have interpreted it in a radically different way from how you meant it.

All that said...

You say that you two have been fighting "pretty much every day." Frankly, that does not sound like a happy relationship to me. If you are fighting that often, then this is really a time to sit down together and have a serious conversation. Are the things you are fighting about things you can easily work together to fix? Believe it or not, sometimes people get so caught up in things that they keep fighting and fighting and fighting and never stop to realize that the things they fight about aren't so huge. They can easily be fixed, altered, or at least pushed aside.

However, if what you are fighting about is big enough, unlikely to change, or it just does not improve despite all efforts, then you are both better off ending the relationship. So, to sum up, I wouldn't necessarily jump to breaking it off without first having a serious discussion, but I definitely think breaking up should at least be a thought at this point.

Good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you, whether that winds up meaning you fix things with this fella, or break up and eventually find yourself somebody else.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Some people are too big a pu$$y to just tell you they want to break up, so they provoke you until you can't take it anymore, and YOU do the dirty work.

You were absolutely correct that his female friends should be hitting up other females for sex advice (or how about her PARTNER?), and quite honestly, I question her motivation for discussing her sex life with your boyfriend.

I think you should try to imagine what it would be like to be with someone who treats you better, and ask yourself what you are REALLY getting out of this relationship.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

If this was IT for you, you wouldn't be fighting every day. It's not working, sounds like it hasn't been for some time, but your feelings for him prevent you from seeing that.

You're right- his female friend crossed the line by asking him for sex advice. It's inappropriate. I'm sure she has friends or random internet strangers to give her advice. She shouldn't be coming to another guy with that, especially not one with a girlfriend.

Calling you names is verbal abuse, plain and simple. You talking about not wanting to break up with him so he won't "win" is unhealthy at best.

He's not the one, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can actually get to the right guy.

By the way, I agree with Nicole on the wanting to not let him "win" thing. In a break-up, nobody wins. That's just not how it works. If he is immature/cowardly enough to try to push YOU to break-up with HIM rather than man up and do it himself if that is what he wants, then who the Hell cares whether he thinks he "wins" or not? If that is the only reason (or at least a large part of the reason) why you stick it out, then forget that. You aren't going to find Mr. Right if you allow yourself to be stuck with Mr. Duh.