+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Was my mother in law way out of line? Or am I crazy?

Was my mother in law way out of line? Or am I crazy?

I have had multiple boundary issues with my mother in law, but this sort of takes the cake.

My husband and I were visiting at his mother's house when I received a phone call concerning a family emergency. My husband and I excused ourselves to another room to hande the situation and handed our 3 month old over to his Mother to hold while we were dealing with the phone call. About 5 minutes later, my husband and I needed to leave rather quickly to handle said phone issue, and my husband asked me to go get our baby and get into the car to go home. I went back out into the living room...and it was empty. I checked other rooms and the whole house was empty. I had no idea where my baby was. I eventually noticed the opened front door and looked outside and my Mother in law was DOWN THE STREET with her younger son and a whole bunch of her neighbors that I have never met holding my baby.

I was horrified but tried to remain composed (i was already upset about the phone call). I quickly walked down the block and said "I need to go home right now." And took my baby from my brother in law's arms and started walking him back to the house to pack him up. As if this wasn't enough, after i get him in his car seat and put him in the car, my mother in law starts rambling "well i just want to give him a kiss" and i said "no, we need to leave right now". She started opening the car door and trying to take him out of his seat and I said again very firmly "no, i said we need to leave". She continued, so i got out of the car and shut the back seat door and she screamed "you ****ing little bitch!" And started babbling about loving my baby.

My husand FINALLY came out of the house and we left.

I am horrified that this woman thought it was okay to take my little baby who hasn't even had his shots yet down the street without asking or even informing me where she was taking him. And then thinking that she has some right to go against me saying we are going RIGHT NOW.

I am disgusted by this. Am i over reacting?

You're irrational and it was your "new mommy" paranoia that caused that whole scene. You may not be a f*cking little bitch but you acted like one on that day. You may not have known the people she was showing her grand-baby off to, but she did so they were not strangers to her and now that she's introduced the baby to them, they are not strangers to him either... Your baby's immunities from your breast milk would have protected him from most of what a person would get from being held when they are neither sick or infected. Even if you are not breast feeding, most people are smart enough to stay away from babies when they are ill for goodness sakes so there is another issue that is a non-issue.

Had you let her kiss the baby good-bye while in the car seat then none of that would have happened.

If you have such hate for your MIL then perhaps you should have told your husband to go to her and get the baby and prepare him for traveling in his seat instead of causing such a ruckus over NOTHING.

I'm sorry... none of that is what you wanted to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW: Tell us; was the father of your baby as distraught over nothing as much as you were or was he too occupied about the "emergency" that he couldn't be bothered with your hysteria so you've come here to get validation?
    Last edited by Wakeup; 28-07-15 at 10:25 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Yes, you're over reacting. Perhaps there are other issues with your mother in law which are making you uber sensitive to what she's done - but as an individual issue, this was not worth more than a moment of thought.

Also curious as to what your husband says about it.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Your mother in law did what most grandparents would normally do, which was to show off her grandchild to her friends. You over reacted to say the least, and you were rude and nasty to her when you would not allow her to kiss your son. It would only have taken seconds for her to kiss the baby, instead, you chose to aggravate her and escalate things that your husband had to get involved. Shame on you.

I agree you over reacted. I have a 7week old and have been out with him without his shots. Hes fine and obviously I keep sick people away from him.

I am curious to know what other issues there are with your mother in law? What caused you to react so irrationally? How is your mood in general? I am only asking coz I know there were days when my hormones were mental and emotionally having a baby can take its toll on you. I often worried about ppd in the early days but realized it was just the initial hormonal stage. But if this behavior is not unusual and your mood is all over the place, maybe its worth talking to a doctor