+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Boyfriend of 5 months is moving by the end of the year...do we end it now?

Boyfriend of 5 months is moving by the end of the year...do we end it now?

My boyfriend is going to school in the city I live in. Anywhere from 3 to 6 months from now, he plans on leaving for his first job out of school. I have a very well-established career here, and need to consider my next move very carefully. I could see him being "the one" but being so young in our relationship, it's a little soon to be jumping to that conclusion. But we obviously don't want me uprooting and following him to a city only for things to fall apart.

I essentially have realized now and communicated to him that there is no way I could move that quickly...so our options are a long distance relationship after he moves until I can relocate, or that it just ends when he moves.

He has said some of the most amazing and meaningful things to me and I know he truly cares about me. But lately his own uncertainty about what's ahead is changing the tone and making me feel super anxious. He doesn't know how he (or I) will feel when the time comes for him to move and he doesn't know if wants to do a long distance thing. In some of our conversations about it, it's like he's already anticipating feeling guilty. But I also wonder - what if he gets a job in a city I don't want to live in? Or I fear that what if he realizes he isn't as serious as I am about the relationship? So I feel terrified that if I continue for the next few months developing and growing my attachment to him, and giving this my valuable time, it's just going to be that much harder and more painful when he goes if we don't decide to try long distance.

So, at this stage, how do we go about deciding whether or not to start emotionally separating now before we just cause ourselves more pain? Or are we crippling any real chance we have together by thinking ahead too much? How do I know I'm not being blind and falling for someone who's just going to end things when he leaves the city?

Any comments or advice is welcome. Thank you so much for reading.

I think this is all a conversation you have to have with him. All your fears are well founded and you need to discuss them with him. And part of this will be finding out how he feels. Talk about how both of you feel and make a decision together.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.