+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long distance relationship

Long distance relationship

Ok, first of all I want to apologise for my bad english, is not my native language and I am *still* learning it alone.
    My problem is this long distance relationship that I have to manage.. This summer (2-3 weeks ago) I met a wonderfull girl on a summer camp that lasted for a week. We madly fall for each other in just that short time (maybe I speed up the whole thing because im an Aries), manage to kiss her, and developed a pretty strong emotional bond with her (even if she is an Aquarius, and dont show his feelings very often, she was to madly in love with me and she trust me, even if we dont know each other for such a long time). When we were togheter everything was amazingli smooth and with her next to me I could manage the relationship almost perfectly, but even in the time we spent in the camp I realised that deep down she is afraid to commit to me that fast because "I might get bored of her and just leave as fast as I comed", that she expresed several time in a indirect manner. Every time I tried to relax her and tell her that everything will be ok and even if we were apart after we leave the camp I will text her and call her often. I end up promissing her that until the next summer camp I will become the most amazing man she ever met (because she was complaining in a joking manner that I was too immature) and I will be loyal to her. If you have to know something about me is that im a bold and passionate lover, guided mostly by heart and she is almost at the other end, guided by mind and facts but still a loving person under a cold apperance (made even colder by her "hard to get attitude" that she displays because of her fear that I might get bored and leave).
    After the camp we managed to keep very well in touch, but you know, she made some strange things that I can explain just because she is aquarius and she needs a lot of space for her own... She is very hard to get on the phone, or she reply to my messages very hard because she tells me that is busy, but when I manage to get her on the phone we talk for hours and in the end, even if I like a lot to talk to her I have to be the one to end up the conversation. After this kind of stuff begin something like a "hot streak", she manage to respond to my text faster, respond faster to calls and even call me on her own sometimes. I can see she needs me after the way she talks to me but when I try to tell her something sweet or to be more sentimental at the phone this generates no respons and even if I see she tries a lot to prove me that she likes in her own way, her difficulty in expresing her feelings doubled that the "hard to get" attitude that she still have because of that fear ( she indirectly suggested me on phone that thing several times) and her difficulty to respond to my texts (she dont even respond sometimes) makes me feel very awkward. I mean... I do my best in showing her love in this relationship, and at the same time i try not to look needy or stuff like that, but I feel bad everytime i give her a call after 2-3 days of silence and she dont call after at all.
    I need some advices guys, how can I make her to open up a little bit, because even the phase of this relationship seems to be good enogh for her, I need to some affection, or at least some more showed intrest in responding my texts in order for this to work. I mean, I love her, is an amazing girl and I dont want to leave her, but in the way that things are working right now I start to feel a major turn off. Please help

4fresh, I'm really sorry but this is the way it is with summer romances. They are wonderful and intense but once you go back home away from each other, they die. It would seem that she's already beginning to move on without you and get on with her life. This isn't about getting her to open up - it's more about the fact that if she really wanted to keep this going, she'd make time for you.

Those wonderful, intense feelings - the butterflies you have in your stomach - how you can't stop thinking about her - this isn't love. It's infatuation. Love is a deeper, calmer feeling which comes after we've known each other for a while and after all that excitement has faded.

It's only been a couple of weeks and you're already not getting your needs met. This is the sign that you need to walk away and find a relationship where you can be properly fulfilled. It's unfortunate that you made all those promises to her, but you will learn from experience to never make promises like that to someone who you know so little about. In future, keep your promises for someone who you've dated for long enough to know that the relationship will last long term.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    4fresh, I'm really sorry but this is the way it is with summer romances. They are wonderful and intense but once you go back home away from each other, they die. It would seem that she's already beginning to move on without you and get on with her life. This isn't about getting her to open up - it's more about the fact that if she really wanted to keep this going, she'd make time for you.

Those wonderful, intense feelings - the butterflies you have in your stomach - how you can't stop thinking about her - this isn't love. It's infatuation. Love is a deeper, calmer feeling which comes after we've known each other for a while and after all that excitement has faded.

It's only been a couple of weeks and you're already not getting your needs met. This is the sign that you need to walk away and find a relationship where you can be properly fulfilled. It's unfortunate that you made all those promises to her, but you will learn from experience to never make promises like that to someone who you know so little about. In future, keep your promises for someone who you've dated for long enough to know that the relationship will last long term.
    You have no ideea how many times I hear that from ppl around me... I hoped I can get a good advice here but it seems you cant understand this situation... It will be so easy for me to give up and search for another girl. IS THE MOST EASY THING I COULD DO. But this girl likes me, and want to keep in touch with me. I dont want to hurt her feelings just because she didnt make some time to response to all my texts. It actually apologised a lot of times because she didnt responded. The actual problem is that this girl have a problem with expressing her feelings... I knowed this thing by the time we were toghether in the camp, and I asked here for help because I want to know how to act in this tipe of situation. You actually tell me to give up and keep the life going... You think I couldn't do that? Yes I can, but I dont want to be that type of bastard that doesnt text you and forgotts someone after a week or two spent apart. And my needs are fullfiled if I know she is happy, because then I am ok too. My concern is about what thing I could do or not do to makes things better for her. Shoud I stop text her often, and show up once a week or 2? Or shoud I do something else? Thats the type of advice I needed, not the typical "leave her and live on" that everyone is telling me.

I am not surprised you keep hearing the same advice. And with the exception of a romantic, dreamy few, you'll get more of the same advice here too. Most of us giving this advice have enough relationship experience to recognise when someone is no longer keen on us. And most of us know better than to give our love to someone who isn't giving the same amount of love in return. It's a really hard lesson to learn - and I had to learn it the hard way too. I truly know how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by 4fresh View Post
    But this girl likes me, and want to keep in touch with me. I dont want to hurt her feelings just because she didnt make some time to response to all my texts.
    If she wanted to keep in touch with you, she would make time to respond to your texts. Girls don't ignore texts and calls from boys they really want a future with.

It actually apologised a lot of times because she didnt responded.
    So she apologised and then did the same thing again? A true apology is when someone is so sorry about their behaviour that they don't repeat it. In this case, she just says it and doesn't care enough to change

The actual problem is that this girl have a problem with expressing her feelings... I knowed this thing by the time we were toghether in the camp, and I asked here for help because I want to know how to act in this tipe of situation.
    All you can do if someone can't express their feelings is accept that this is who they are. We cannot change another person - only they can change themselves.

You actually tell me to give up and keep the life going... You think I couldn't do that? Yes I can, but I dont want to be that type of bastard that doesnt text you and forgotts someone after a week or two spent apart.
    It's only a barstardly deed if you walk away while she's dead keen. But her actions are showing that she doesn't care so much.

And my needs are fullfiled if I know she is happy, because then I am ok too.
    In your opening post you said "I dont want to leave her, but in the way that things are working right now I start to feel a major turn off." Your needs are not being met. You are feeling sad and neglected - hence writing for advice. And for what it's worth, her not bothering to make contact with you is not OK. Anyone would feel sad and neglected in your shoes.

My concern is about what thing I could do or not do to makes things better for her. Shoud I stop text her often, and show up once a week or 2? Or shoud I do something else? Thats the type of advice I needed, not the typical "leave her and live on" that everyone is telling me.
    If you really can't believe that she is losing interest, then you need to talk with her and find out what she wants. Don't make the conversation about you - ask her if she still wants a relationship and if so, how much contact she would like to have.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 16-08-15 at 04:02 AM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Ok, thanks buddy, maybe your right... But I dont like to give up. I guess is a stupid thing to make, but this is how we learn about this kind of stuff, right? I will try to clear things up with her. Thanks for your time

Obviously she is the one that gets bored, not the other way around. Aquarians need their self esteem boosted, they need to feel desired sexually, not romantically. That's why she falls short with you when you say mushy sweet things to her. Ya gotta act like the tough guy, who is driven sexually, and have a demeanor of masculinity, aloofness. I'm an Aries, we have big egos, so you need to flex it in front of her. You need to flirt with her, be cocky, be mysterious, tease her. See if that works.

But to keep your libido going, flirt with other girls in the meantime. You should never put your life on hold for a girl you won't see for a long time. Your time is important too, and what you do with it is none of her business.

It sounds like you shared an amazing summer romance. The timing was perfect, the proximity was there, and the setting was right. You both felt an attraction and went for it. I'm glad you were able to have this experience with her.

That being said, things have changed greatly. You are now apart, and it's back to real life from your mini vacation. Now the time and place aren't in your favor to be together.

Sometimes when we recognize that circumstances aren't ideal for a relationship to happen, we pull away and look for something more realistic and frankly, more convenient, especially with young people.

It does sound like she has returned to her regular life and routine, and is realizing that the situation isn't the best for romance with you anymore. If she was truly into being with you right now, she would make more of an effort. It's simple. She'd return your calls and messages, she'd make plans to see you, etc. It almost sounds like she is avoiding you so you don't get the wrong idea. I wouldn't take this personally, it just means that this is your typical summer fling- you have fun, make the most of your time together, and then go your separate ways.

Perhaps down the road circumstances will change again and you will be able to be closer together and make it work, you never know. Until then, keep your options open and your expectations low with her

You guys are thr best XD
    Got drunk last night because i felt like a idiot, but a great thing was that I didnt find my phone to text someone. Seems that things are not that bad as they seem to be after all. I could have the upper hand in this relationship if I want this. Guess that for now I wont text her anymore for a week and after I will travel for a week in her town at some relatives I have there (I was going to do that anyway) and set things up with her. Guess she liked me for my free attitude that I have when I'm not in a relationship, so I have to get that back XD
    She follow me on many social networks (like instagram and facebook). I guess I could post some stuff there to appear active and ignore her in the meantime. When things will go bad she will maybe search for me... Idk... Best of luck for you guys
    Last edited by 4fresh; 16-08-15 at 08:43 PM.