+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I like "sluts" but can't stay with them...

I love that we are arguing semantics here. I am finding the strange turn this thread has taken very amusing. It is certainly a refreshing change from message boards where everything becomes an argument that escalates to ridiculous degrees.

"I love Garfield!"
    "Heathcliff is better!"
    "Oh yeah! We'll you're racist!"
    "That's not what your mom said last night!"

Ah, the Internet...

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    I love that we are arguing semantics here. I am finding the strange turn this thread has taken very amusing. It is certainly a refreshing change from message boards where everything becomes an argument that escalates to ridiculous degrees.

"I love Garfield!"
    "Heathcliff is better!"
    "Oh yeah! We'll you're racist!"
    "That's not what your mom said last night!"

Ah, the Internet...
    A discussion or lack of agreement isn't necessarily an argument. lol

Yea Evil... put your head closer to the screen so I can slap ya
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

LOL! I think perhaps I misspoke. "Argument" was not the correct choice of words. In fact, my implication was the exact opposite. I was saying I love that we are discussing the different interpretations of a word as opposed to the immature crap you usually get on message boards.

I am seeing now how I may not have made that clear. My bad. (Do the kids still say "my bad" these days?)

So, allow me to clarify. I think it is awesome that we can have a civil back and forth discussion on the different interpretations of a word, whereas on message boards you normally just get petty bickering that escalates to ridiculous levels. My intended purpose was to point out that we are awesome.

Well, alright then. That's enough punishment for you. lolzzz
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

But I think he LIKED the smacking.

haha! They don't call him the "EvilJester" for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by smarta$$ View Post
    But I think he LIKED the smacking.
    Hey!!!!

Get out of my head.

....Ummm.... I mean.... Nuh uh. Cuz.... that would totally be weird... or something.

I think the word "promiscuous" will suit your purposes, Op.
    I think "promiscuous" has a negative connotation, too. How about "liberated"?
    It's only negative if you make it so. It is, afterall the word for persons who are, as you put it, "liberated."
    Totally with Wakeup on this. Political correctness sux.

It's only negative if you make it so. It is, afterall the word for persons who are, as you put it, "liberated."
    It's also a word for someone that's freed from captivity, enslavement, or enemy occupation. In other words, it's a meaningless wishy washy word in this context that conveys next to nothing.

If I say "I love my girl, because she is so liberated!" does that convey anything other than I love her? Possibly it says also that she is not, in my opinion, in some way enslaved or imprisoned. Nothing there to describe her sexual proclivities.

If I say "I love my girl, because she is so promiscuous!" does that convey anything other than I love her? Yep. It says a whole lot, and not just about her either.

I resent and reject the dumbing down of the language in the interests of not offending others.

/endrant

Can you hear me clapping, solarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Can you hear me clapping, solarian?
    Sweet music to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by solarion View Post
    Totally with Wakeup on this. Political correctness sux.

It's also a word for someone that's freed from captivity, enslavement, or enemy occupation. In other words, it's a meaningless wishy washy word in this context that conveys next to nothing.
    Whatever. I would rather be described as "sexually liberated" than "slutty",
    and I have never been one for political correctness, but feel free to describe your girls as sluts. In my opinion, the use of that word says more about YOU than her, anyway.

and I have never been one for political correctness, but feel free to describe your girls as sluts. In my opinion, the use of that word says more about YOU than her, anyway.
    Jolly good I didn't use "that" word then eh?

I mean, Hell, I'd take "sexually liberated" or "slutty." I don't think either would really accurately describe me, but it certainly is a lot better than the words and phrases people tend to use to describe me. Words and phrases like

"Freak"
    "Weirdo"
    "Monster"
    "Ow! Please stop stabbing me!"
    "These chains are too tight"
    "I don't think you should pair a striped tie with a striped shirt."
    "Let me go! I swear I won't tell the police who you are."

...Wait.... have I over-shared again?
    Last edited by TheEvilJester; 03-09-15 at 07:11 AM.

I mean, Hell, I'd take "sexually liberated" or "slutty."
    The word "sexually" was added post PC rant. Prior to that it was simply "liberated". Ironic that four additional syllables were required to lend some semblance of meaning to what was originally perfectly clear using a grand total of four syllables(promiscuous)...but that may offend those that choose to be easily offended. I believe there's a name for that...political correctness.

The late George Carlin's favorite example of this process in action involved words that are now taken by most to be synonymous with the very serious combat condition originally called "shell shock". Slowly over time this debilitating condition morphed into "combat fatigue" and then into "post traumatic stress disorder", which isn't even perceived to be front line battle or even military specific anymore. Certainly one is more likely to tell a worn out front line combat veteran who has been exposed to too much violence and death and is, as a result, emotionally broken that they should "walk it off" if their condition can be defined as PTSD...a disorder one can develop due to exposure to rush hour traffic conditions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast