+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painfully shy unsure how to move forward

Oh God, I so know how you feel. I overthink everything. I drive myself absolutely crazy with it. Here's the good news, though, I think.... You and I are both aware we do this. Why is that good news? Because, as the saying goes, knowing is half the battle.

You know that you overthink, so that makes it easier to realize when you are overthinking it. This very likely is one of those times. Really, who cares if anybody sees you leaving the note? As Lily said, that might even actually be a good thing. Then he would know you left it.

What makes you think you hurt his feelings? I'm sure it is just your imagination, but if you are okay with sharing details as to what caused you to second guess leaving the note and to think that maybe you'd hurt his feelings, we may be able to help you think it through. I am sure, though, it is probably still worth it to give it a shot.

Why I second guessed myself with the note is, I feel like I am playing a game with him. It feels like I am playing cat and mouse with him as the mouse.

Playing cat and mouse would mean that you keep pretending as though you are interested in him, only to then pull away. Have you been doing that? I didn't get that impression. I got the impression that you've enjoyed talking to him whenever you have, but have just been too shy to try to get the ball rolling on it becoming anything more. How could he fault you for that considering he hasn't either?

To be playing cat and mouse with him would be if you leave the note.... and then suddenly act disinterested if he actually responds favorably. So, if you are going to leave the note, leave it with the full intention of embracing your opportunity if he returns interest. If you think you can do that, then why not leave the note? Believe me, take it from somebody with experience in letting so many opportunities get away without even trying..... you would be so much happier knowing than having to wonder what if. Even if it turns out he is not interested, knowing that is so much better than never trying and always wondering.

Just wanted to update. I went and clipped the note to his mailbox. He just came home and saw me coming off the porch. He wanted to know why I was there. Me being me I apologized for shying away from him. He was not too happy. I could not ask him out. He would have laughed. I went back and took the its back and left. I thought that would have turned him off but, the other day he was out and I drove past and he wanted my attention. I do not get him. I don't think he wants to make a move because he knows how shy I am. I give up. Any other suggestions advice?

What was his expression when he saw you on his porch? (Any sigh, surprise look, shock, smiling, etc)
    what is it he does to try to get your attention?
    I would usually think someone who's into someone seeing them there would say something like "hey, what are doing here?" With a smile or something

Agreed with Lilly, and I'd also second her questions. Exactly what was it in his actions/reaction that made you think he was specifically not happy to see you? Also, do I misunderstand, or do you mean to say you retrieved the note before he could see it?

If you did, I have to admit that I can't blame you if he reacted so unfavorably to seeing you leaving his porch as he was arriving home. I can tell you, if I were him that sure as Hell would not have been my reaction. Heck, even if we were just friends, I would have still considered it a very pleasant surprise to see you.

Again, I can't really know since I wasn't there, but I kind of feel like you dodged a bullet here. Maybe I'm over-reacting based on the details you share, I don't know..... but he kind of sounds like a jerk if you ask me. I am honestly thinking you deserve better than this guy. If that is the case, then it is honestly better you figured that out now rather than later.

Good luck to you. Believe me, you WILL find somebody some day. There will be a guy who is so crazy about you that he'll JUMP at the chance to go out with you, whether that is by him actually asking you out first, or if you ask him out and he happily accepts. Maybe that won't be this guy, but you know what? That is HIS loss, not yours.

I did not see his face through the car window but. He opened the door and in a gruff voice said "yes" .before he even got out of the car. I apologized while he was in the car. He gets out no smile, don't worry about it and goes in the house. And yes I retrieved the note before he read it. I was too embarassed for him to read it.

He said yes to what? Not sure I understand. That and I am also not sure I understand what you apologized for in the first place. What offense had you felt you made that required an apology?

Let me ask you this... Did his reaction at all surprise you, or did it seem very in-character for this particular fella? I ask because, you never know, maybe he just came home from having a terrible day and he wasn't 100% himself. I'm not saying that EXCUSES him treating you so rudely, I am just saying it may explain it. We all have a bad day now and then, and often wind up in kind of a grumpy mood as result.

If this is just in this guy's nature, though, then I'd reconsider your feelings for him if I were you. If that IS the case, then I certainly think you deserve better. Especially being as shy as you are, the last thing you need is to deal with some a-hole who only reinforces your insecurities.

If you feel like it might just be possible he was in a bad mood and he is normally otherwise a good guy, then maybe you don't give up right away. I would still, though, not recommend you make the first move next. He was rude. Give him the chance to apologize for that, or at the very least be more cordial to you in the future. If he does not, then forget him. To be honest, though, considering the history of interactions you've explained to us with him, I think I'd just suggest you forget him now.

Good luck to you either way, though. Like I said, you don't deserve a guy who would treat you like that. If he's too stupid to see that you are awesome and he's lucky you'd be willing to give him a chance, then forget him. Some other guy will be out there who would kill to get the chance he is throwing away.

Theeviljester said what i wanted to say already did he ever apologize for that day? If not a shy girl like you deserve better.having a bad day is no excuse to be like that.

That's because I read your mind, Lilly. By the way, you think about kittens a lot. LOL! Kidding. (But, if you actually do think about kittens a lot then I just BLEW your mind for a second there. :-P )

I agree with you, though. Even if he DID have a bad day and that is the only reason he was so gruff and rude... you are right, that still definitely doesn't excuse such rude treatment. I'm just saying, I think we've all had bad moods and sometimes been rude to others without meaning it. I wouldn't necessarily say that ONE interaction alone is reason to consider him to just be a rude person....

However, I don't exactly find any of the other (admittedly few) details we know about him to be all that encouraging either. So, honestly, I kind of lean towards thinking this guy IS just a rude jerk, and that he doesn't even deserve Irene anyway. I just try not to be too quick to judge on this board because we obviously only get the very few details that each poster chooses to share. So, it isn't like we can truly know the situation closely enough to know for sure. Most often, when I feel there may be gray area, I try to err on the side of caution and offer potential advice for either possibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12