+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ex from 10 years ago reunited....

Ex from 10 years ago reunited....

My ex from 10 years ago recently contacted me on FB. He said he's been thinking all these years about where I've been and it killed him to not know if I was okay. We were very young and in love and we're each others' first love, so he apologized for screwing things up and not caring about me the way I did about him.
    We chatted a bit and it turns out he's married, been for 5 years, and he owns a house in the next state (3 hours away from me, so we can't meet up with each other). I'm not sure where he wants to take things, but he's mentioned talking in person some time in the future because "he misses me" and our memories. We are two TOTALLY different people and I completely respect his marriage, so I told him I do not want to infringe on his marriage and I forgive him for whatever happened.
    He hasn't really flirted with me, but why would he even bother contacting me all these years? I asked him if everything is ok in his marriage and he said yeah,it's fine, he just missed catching up with me.
    I am keeping my distance even though I was SOOO in love with him years ago, I know not to overstep my boundaries.
    What made him finally contact me after all this time? Could it be a problem in his marriage that he's not yet willing to tell me? I don't want to aid and abed a cheater, but I haven't told him to leave me alone since he's married. I don't have any feelings for him and he's really not my type any more. How should i approach this as we chat more in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by SadLove1980 View Post
    How should i approach this as we chat more in the future?
    Uhm... by not chatting with him?

Just tell him that you have someone in your life and you don't want to continue to talk to him for now.

I think you did what was right and you need to just stick to that. No need to be nasty or tell him to go to Hell, but no need to be besties either. I think you just tell him that you appreciated the time you shared in the past, that there are no hard feelings, and that you sincerely wish him the best. You are two different people now with two different lives, so best you just leave it at that.

You can speculate all you want, and we can speculate all we want as to why he'd contact you out of the blue after so long. Maybe it is because he's not happy in his marriage and is having doubts. Maybe he is deliriously happy in his marriage, and his happiness has made him reminisce back to your past relationship and it caused him guilt over how he dealt with it. He may just want to know that you are okay. Only he really knows, but it really doesn't matter. You were very polite to him and told him no hard feelings. All the same, you told him you wouldn't feel right hanging out with him since he is now married. I would say leave it at that. Hopefully he takes the hint. If not, then maybe you block him from contacting you in any way that you can do so. Hopefully, though, you don't have to even get to that point.

Good luck to you either way.