+ Follow This Topic

Thread: That's Kids Stuff

That's Kids Stuff

My friend who's going on 26 next year, has been with her guy for almost 3 years, the two of them are engaged, and she is expecting a baby. Now as I said, she is going on 26 and the guy she is dating is around 40, she has told me, that this guy isn't into trick or treating, cartoon shows, like kids shows or even classics like Disney films, etc. Because she asked her guy, when the baby comes, she wants them all to sit down as a family and watch Disney films, or certain shows.

As far as trick or treating, yeah she's old for it, but she still liked going around her town and doing it, and she also would do it for the guys little niece. My point here, is that IF I ever become single, what if I meet a guy, who is like this, doesn't like kid stuff, or celebrate holidays much, you know isn't into that kiddy stuff? I know I love the holidays and I am a kid at heart and do like certain shows, and have a little toy collection etc. But hearing this, makes me think, IF I ever did date again, and that new guy found out, he would laugh or make me give up what I like.

What do you think?

I don't know how old you are, but I personally would find it very odd to see a 26 year old trick-or-treating, and I suspect most grown ups would find that to be extremely unusual.

I do not think it at all unusual that a 40 year old man has put aside his childish hobbies.

What is in your future, I could not say, but there will likely come a time when you will be expected to act as an adult, though I think a certain amount of playfulness keeps you young.

I am sure he will do child like things with his baby when born and the new father feels kick in.

I stopped going door to door at 13 and we went to house parties and school functions after and later club parties. She can still dress up and hand out candy if she wants, he doesn't need to.

I think that I wouldn't give candy to a 26yo!!!
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I LOVE Halloween, but even I have to admit that I think it is a bit silly to still be Trick or Treating as an adult. That is for the kids. God, my ex used to drag me out to do that (and we were both adults) and I felt so ridiculous. It's not so much that I think it is silly to still like the idea of Trick or Treating. I still very fondly love my memories of doing that as a child. It's just that it is really supposed to be for the kids. I don't know. I guess it isn't like there is any harm in it, but I think as an adult you find other ways to enjoy Halloween.

Now, me personally, I have always felt the best kind of maturity is when you can still hold on to your inner child. Knowing when to be a mature adult, and when to let go and be a kid all over again. I happen to still love a lot of things I did as a child, and am capable of being a huge goofus in my social life..... but at the same time, I am a mature responsible adult with a job, a car, an apartment, etc.

All that said.... some people DO grow out of childish things. Nothing wrong with still loving that stuff, but there is also nothing wrong with not enjoying it anymore. IF, however, he refuses to indulge in it for his kids when they come, that would be a different story. That is part of being a parent. You sometimes have to watch those terrible cartoons and movies with them (and pretend to like them). If he is so stuck in his ways that he refuses even to do that, then THAT I see as a problem. That is when somebody has mistaken being a stuck up jerk for being mature. That's a mistake a lot of people make.

So, when it comes down to it, you wouldn't want somebody to judge you for still being somewhat of a kid at heart, so don't judge them for not being one. As long as you are still a mature and responsible adult when necessary, there is nothing wrong with you holding onto your inner-child. Now, if you met somebody who doesn't, maybe you two are too different anyway. I'm just saying, that in and of itself is not necessarily a reason to not even give somebody a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I think that I wouldn't give candy to a 26yo!!!
    I probably would, if they came to my door. At the age of 26, I'd be afraid they would rob me if I refused. lol

LOL! Good point. To be honest, were it me I think I would give candy to a Trick or Treater no matter what their age. Mainly, I feel like it is not my place to judge. It's not like it takes anything away from the kids enjoying it just because an adult is doing it as well. It's not like you can even say "Oh, but it takes away candy that is meant for the kids." It's one piece of candy (or however many you give away). Unless the adult swipes all of your candy, I don't see why there is any harm.

Like I said, I'm like a big kid at heart and even I find it ridiculous to be an adult and still go Trick or Treating. I just don't think it is my place to judge if somebody else wants to. I'd personally find it to be a little rude to refuse somebody candy because of their age.

In fact, I kind of think of it as similar to this....

I've been to Disney World as an adult, and I also love going to Hershey Park. At Disney, I always get pictures with the characters I see, and at Hershey Park, I like to get pictures with the candy bar characters. Yes, they are more so meant to be there for the kids, but it isn't like adults aren't allowed to do that or it is even just expected that they shouldn't. Hell, I'm usually not the only adult, without any kids, doing the same thing.

For me, I love it because it sort of makes me feel like a kid again. That innocent, pure delight that you feel as a kid for stuff like that is almost magic, and it makes me sort of feel that again, even if just a little bit. What kind of a jerk would you have to be to make me feel bad for that?

Your never too old to trick or treat. Who doesn't like free candy?

Normal adults, the ones who have jobs and such, just go buy their own candy.
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

[MENTION=81228]treehugger101[/MENTION] your friend cannot force her partner to act or do things he doesn't care to do, it will only cause rifts and tears in the relationship. She likes doing that than go with friends who like it too. Or host a halloween party.

Quote Originally Posted by friendsfirst View Post
    Normal adults, the ones who have jobs and such, just go buy their own candy.
    I think that exactly hits the nail on the head as to why some people are against it. I think it is also that stigma attached to the idea that makes me feel like it is kind of a bit ridiculous as an adult to still go Trick or Treating, and a big part of why I personally choose not to go myself. It gives people an icky feeling like you are just trying to mooch free candy. Don't get me wrong. IF that is what you're doing, then I do kind of agree that it misses the point of the holiday and does kind of take away from the little kiddies.

For me, if I DID still go, it's not because I just want free candy, it is actually for the love of everything Halloween. The love of getting dressed up in a costume. The love of going door to door to show it off. The fun and excitement of seeing all the other costumes of people around. Seeing all the well decorated houses. Again, I love it for the child-like innocence of it. Hence why I feel like it is rude to refuse a person candy or make them feel bad for still going as an adult.... But that doesn't change the fact that I still wouldn't do it myself, partially because of that perception.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    I think that exactly hits the nail on the head as to why some people are against it. I think it is also that stigma attached to the idea that makes me feel like it is kind of a bit ridiculous as an adult to still go Trick or Treating, and a big part of why I personally choose not to go myself. It gives people an icky feeling like you are just trying to mooch free candy. Don't get me wrong. IF that is what you're doing, then I do kind of agree that it misses the point of the holiday and does kind of take away from the little kiddies.

For me, if I DID still go, it's not because I just want free candy, it is actually for the love of everything Halloween. The love of getting dressed up in a costume. The love of going door to door to show it off. The fun and excitement of seeing all the other costumes of people around. Seeing all the well decorated houses. Again, I love it for the child-like innocence of it. Hence why I feel like it is rude to refuse a person candy or make them feel bad for still going as an adult.... But that doesn't change the fact that I still wouldn't do it myself, partially because of that perception.
    I take my child trick or treating. He's 4. I may throw some crazy make up on, or wear a ridiculous 80's outfit, or whatever, but I am NOT going to have a bag and ask for candy. Before I had a child, I took my niece out on Halloween. Once again, I didn't ask for candy. It was about spending time with the children important in my life. As long as one of the parents is willing to go, that's all that matters. I wouldn't drag my significant other along should he not be interested, just as in a perfect world, if my child was playing a sporting event I had no interest in, I would hope I would be given the luxury of staying home for practice. I'd never miss his games though.
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

If your relationship litmus test is trick-or-treating, disney propaganda, or television "programming", then probably you have bigger problems and shouldn't be worrying about relationships.
    Pain is what the world does to you, suffering is what you do to yourself. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by friendsfirst View Post
    I take my child trick or treating. He's 4. I may throw some crazy make up on, or wear a ridiculous 80's outfit, or whatever, but I am NOT going to have a bag and ask for candy. Before I had a child, I took my niece out on Halloween. Once again, I didn't ask for candy. It was about spending time with the children important in my life. As long as one of the parents is willing to go, that's all that matters. I wouldn't drag my significant other along should he not be interested, just as in a perfect world, if my child was playing a sporting event I had no interest in, I would hope I would be given the luxury of staying home for practice. I'd never miss his games though.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was saying that you hit the nail on the head as to why I think adults shouldn't go Trick or Treating. It gives that perception, that they are just trying to mooch free candy.... and for some of them that perception probably would be the reality.

I am just saying, I don't still go Trick or Treating, but I still love the idea of it. If it were acceptable for adults to still do it, I would. It WOULDN'T be because I want to mooch free candy, it would be because I LOVE Halloween.

But, yeah, I do agree with you. I didn't mean to give the impression I did not.