+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hitting All At Once

Hitting All At Once

Yesturday my Boyfriend had a bad day, during our last friend regarding his friend's family passing away, I had mentioned to him, of him and I breaking up, because I was tired of our fighting etc. Him hearing that, EVEN THOUGH I have said it countless times before, made him feel like crap and he didn't know what to do or think, he was scared because he didn't want to loose me.

He then goes on to tell me that his ex-girlfriend has been contacting him again via his cell phone, BUT while he can block her, she uses different numbers from different people, so he'd have to block every number or just talk to her and tell her to stop. He does not want to talk to her period, because it will bring back all of those old memories.

He then says he went and took a leave of absence/quiet college so he can focus on him and I, get himself a job, (which he doesn't have) and he can spend more time with me. I NEVER EVER TOLD HIM TO QUIT SCHOOL. Now I feel bad that he went and quit school.

I understand his heart was in the right place and everything but I never wanted him to quit his education. I wanted him to finish schooling, get a job, or do both at the same time.

Now I don't know what to do, but I am really worried.

How old is your boyfriend?
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

Why don't YOU get a job? Is it that you cant keep a job due to the mental issue you have?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Him and I are both 28 and both live at home with our families. I can get a job, I just can't find one. No places want someone with no experience and only a high school diploma.

McDonald's is always hiring.
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger101 View Post
    Him and I are both 28 and both live at home with our families. I can get a job, I just can't find one. No places want someone with no experience and only a high school diploma.
    Well, I guess your parents are buying that... we sure aren't.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Retail job is easy to get. And fast food is always hiring. Any job is a job, you're working, not stealing or leeching off of people. Even people with disability has a job. I know some in retail, grocery stores, and etc. Isn't it embarassing for you to be 28 and still taking money from your parent? :/

Anyway, tree, do you really like this guy or not? I havent seen you mentioning that or even loving this guy, unless i missed it somewhere. It wouldn't be fair for both if he's doing this all for you and you are just with him out of pity.
    Last edited by Lilly328; 23-10-15 at 04:56 PM.

I think you and your bf should take a break for now. This relationship sounds stressful on each of you.
    Step back and re evaluate things.

To me, him giving up his education to try to work on your relationship should be a HUGE no no. Heck, his education should be to help build towards whatever future you may have had, so if anything he is hindering that possibility more than helping it.

I would agree with the others. It would probably be best for you two to take a break from each other for now. He needs to complete his schooling. Or, at the very least, he needs to make that decision regardless of his relationship status. Maybe he wanted to quit school anyway and is using this as an excuse. Who knows? But, either way, your relationship cannot/should not be the excuse for him to quit school.

To be honest, from all the details you have shared with us lately, I would wonder whether you should "take a break" or honestly just end things completely. But, that is just my thoughts. You have to do what you think is right. We can only offer you our thoughts and advice. Good luck to you.

I do care about this guy and I do like him too a lot at that. He's just scared of the past repeating itself and loosing me and he's dealing with a lot right now. I am looking for work and have applied at McDonalds before but hey never call me for an interview, so not sure what else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger101 View Post
    I do care about this guy and I do like him too a lot at that. He's just scared of the past repeating itself and loosing me and he's dealing with a lot right now. I am looking for work and have applied at McDonalds before but hey never call me for an interview, so not sure what else to do.
    Get someone to critique your resume. Make sure you have good references from those who you've done free journalism work for. Don't forget regular babysitting jobs, volunteering, anything. Clean up that resume and apply again.

Oh and if you're currently not working, make sure you volunteer. Many will not hire someone of your age who has never had a job, but if you volunteer, at least that shows you have some type of work ethic.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.