+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Pet Sitting, Babysitting, and Other Jobs to Make REAL Money?

Pet Sitting, Babysitting, and Other Jobs to Make REAL Money?

I have applied to jobs over the years, gotten interviews but never landed the job itself. Lately I've been thinking of applying to jobs for babysitting, pet sitting, and even one for TV show audiences, where they pay you to sit in the crowd for a taping, paying you between $5-90 bucks a taping, depending on the show. But are any of these types of jobs legit, or just a scam? A lot of the pet sitting and babysitting jobs, are from websites like,

Care.com
    SitterCity.com
    KindredHealthCare
    The Pet Staff
    Rover
    OneSetProductions.com - [url=http://onsetproductions.com/]Welcome - Onset Productions[/url]

What do you think, do you think these jobs are legit or just scamming you?

If you're looking at babysitting, ask neighbours with young children if they need a babysitter. If you're good and they like you, they will recommend you to friends. (Mothers are always asking each other for recommendations!) It's all about networking.

It will help your cause enormously if you have a first aid certificate and experience. If you have no experience, see if you can volunteer at a child care centre or preschool. If you are good, they will give you a reference too. The higher your qualifications, the more you can charge. What about doing a certificate in child care?

McD and supermarkets are always hiring. But I think you've already applied for those jobs, yes? Honestly, if you can't get a job at one of those places there is something you're doing wrong. And this something could also prevent you from getting babysitting jobs too. You're obviously very literate....but what else could be happening? Have you sought advice from an employment agency?

There is money to be made dog walking. Again, I'd start local and network. What do you know of dog behaviour? If you don't know a lot, I'd volunteer at a local shelter and get to know other dog lovers.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I agree with basil and look around through family friends, neighbors etc to babysit not through stranger ads. I babysat all through high school and made some good money doing so before I got my current job.

Networking is amazing. I got my first job as a young-ling was because my mom got into a conversation with a martial arts teacher (who suggested I intern with the insecticide applicator who was spraying in the dojo at the moment). A lot has to do with doing what is your best at first, even if it is wrong. Then it's learning from those mistakes and doing the right things.

Beyond that, it's basic economics:
    -The money you bring in should always be greater than the amount you are spending
    -Given a choice, take a higher $/hr job over a lower one. If you aren't happy with the $/hr rate you have, keep what you have, but seek out a better one.
    -Work as many hours as you can. Working 8 hours/day or 50 hours/week is good. Working 10 hours/day or 60 hrs/week is better. In the long run you will probably achieve more by working harder than by enjoying a night out with your friends.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Haha yeah that is a good point.