+ Follow This Topic
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggest, Watch and then Discuss a movie.

^ if i was you, i'd make it all public so no one can throw any shade your way about who actually won if a private vote.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

^^^So true. ^^^

I'll do that then in the poll thread in OT if it comes to that.

I don't have any favorites so I am always going to be fair like all others doing this would be too. Pinky swear

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

I agree with keeping the voting in a situation where everybody can see, though admittedly I'd hope that wouldn't be because we'd feel it necessary. I don't think any of us care whether our movie wins or loses, this whole thing is just for fun. Heck, the next person running movie club could ask for suggestions and then just CHOOSE one of the movies and forgo a vote completely and I don't think anybody would care. The point of this thing is just to have fun. It's not like you really win anything if your movie is chosen. LOL!

If my movie wins am I the one that is suppose to put their review in first? Or no order involved? Thanks.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] ~ IDK I went back & looked at the last 3 times they had a movie review & 1st movie win was melancholia's but topazlight added 1st review.

Second movie was TEJ's movie that won & TEJ put in the 1st review.

Third movie was megvoh's movie that won & Jffs24 put in the 1st review.

So only one out three. So I'd say it doesn't matter.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Welcome to the movie club - Exeter19, dollhouse and bloodtippedrose.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] - You don't have to be the first to place a review for your own movie only if you watch it first and get in first to submit after megvoh makes her thread for the reviewing up. Which would be right after her vote ends in the Off Topic forums.

If your movie wins, then the next round you will run the threads for the next movie we review.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION]

Have you seen the new Ghostbusters yet? Did you read about the disgusting things said to one of the female stars Leslie Jones on Twitter. Disgraceful. I feel for her, and is why I think sites like Twitter cause too much pain, same as FB. Suppose to help and only ends up being another tool for spreading hate.

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    Have you seen the new Ghostbusters yet? Did you read about the disgusting things said to one of the female stars Leslie Jones on Twitter. Disgraceful. I feel for her, and is why I think sites like Twitter cause too much pain, same as FB. Suppose to help and only ends up being another tool for spreading hate.
    I saw it on opening day. My adventure with the new Ghostbusters movie was quite an interesting little story on its own...

As a life long HUGE fan of Ghostbusters, I had a lot of concerns about this new movie. Ghostbusters 3 had been rumored pretty much since Ghostbusters 2. There were always rumors of it popping up only for it to never happen. So, after a life time of heart break, it was a little upsetting that a REBOOT was the movie that finally moved forward. ....Then the news that the cast would include Melissa McCarthy (who I've never really liked) and Kristen Wig (who I like half the time and find unbearably irritating the other half) did not make me happy. It did not help that the director would be Paul Feig, famous for a brand of humor I do NOT enjoy that does NOT seem appropriate for Ghostbusters.

....Then the trailers came out and, you know something? It didn't look too bad. McCarthy and Wig seemed more subdued and not so over the top like they can be in other movies. So, I had some hope, but remained "cautiously optimistic."

Saw it on opening day last Friday....

And I LOVED it. I have a feeling most people won't like it, but I loved it. It doesn't even hold a candle to the original two movies, but for what it is I really enjoyed it. It falls under the description of I'd much rather have it than to get nothing at all.

I heard about, but did not read in detail about the crap flowing Leslie Jones's way. I have a low enough opinion of human kind as it is, I don't need extra help with that. LOL! People find a way to ruin everything. When the news of the new Ghostbusters movie came out, a lot of people had very valid and fair complaints and concerns. I was one of them. For those of us with legitimate, honest, and understandable concerns, we had every right and every reason as Ghostbusters fans to have serious doubt....... But of course, that gets lost in the shuffle of all the morons who scream crap like "GRUNT! FART! WOMEN NO MAKE GHOSTBUSTERS! WOMEN MAKE SAMMICH!"

Personally, I loved the idea of female Ghostbusters, I just had concerns about the cast and director. I have never been happier to be proven wrong.

Thank you for answering, breathe and topazlight... I'll try to watch the movie that wins either mine or anothers' this weekend when chosen.

I'd love to go and see the new female Ghostbusters, good to hear as a fan of the original you enjoyed it, TheEvilJester.... I read that Ms Jones asked the CEO of Twitter to help her in a Twitter request ( open for all to view ) and he replied publicly and then banned the man trolling her some asshole douchebag for life on Twitter. I don't think that will stop a person like that though.

No, unfortunately, a holes like that will always find a way. Or, even if they manage to block him completely, other a holes will surface. That's life, and it is even a million times worse on the interwebs. I didn't see the specifics as to what was said to Jones. My gut instinct is to say why bother to even give this a hole troll the time of day? Just go by the usual Internet rule of don't feed the trolls. Then again, I didn't see the details and I have no doubt in my mind that the guy probably DID cross the line from just being a troll into being borderline abusive/threatening. People are morons. So, good for Twitter for standing up for our new Ghostbuster. I don't think I really want to read the specific details because it will probably just make me mad.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] you won the movie vote!! so like topazlight said you will be doing all I am doing for this round for the next round. Making up your review thread for your movie soon.
    Grats!

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

Hey clubbers LOL ~ if the internet comes out with a good Ghostbusters link or most have seen the new movie like TheEvilJester already has said above ~ we could do a review on just that movie if all agree some point in time. Yay/nay? Or even a comparison review on the 1st and new one.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Why isn't the like thank buttons working for me on here? So thanks( written) to each in the thread since I can't otherwise. IHTFF

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] - I'd watch and review that movie, think we all discussed this somewhere in here in the past. I think most were up for reviewing the new female version of Ghostbusters.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] - Once you post your review you can start thinking what theme you'd like to do for the next round, that is if all still want a next round going throughout summer.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] - That's fantastic that your mind was changed, I recall your worries in here about the actresses they chose to participate in the reboot of Ghostbusters and concerns you had. You are a true fan if you went on first day. Did you find it continued in the same vein of humor that the others from the past had or it took a different more current humor spin on it?

The tweets were racist, sexist, and terribly vile. Some people shouldn't be allowed internet IMO. She's back on Twitter she didn't let her defeat her for very long.

To me, it both captured the heart of Ghostbusters (and the appropriate style of humor) while also having its own unique style of humor. To me, with the cast chosen (at least McCarthy and Wigg) that was one of my biggest concerns. The style of humor I have seen from them in past movies felt COMPLETELY inappropriate for Ghostbusters, and I was worried that was what we were going to see. Thankfully, it very much was not. The style of humor we got felt very Ghostbusters appropriate to me. It wasn't EXACTLY the same as the original two movies, but frankly that is actually preferable in this case. The new movie didn't even come close to being as good as the originals.... but it was never going to. So, it was better that it felt loyal to the originals... but still had a bit of a style of its own.

Personally, I would be fine with us reviewing this if everybody else is. Not sure how others would feel, though, since that might require them to go to the movies. That or find an illegal stream of it somewhere online. LOL! So, I leave that up to the group whether they'd rather stick to things we can easily find without having to take a trip to the theater, or if they are open to sometimes seeing current movies for our movie club.

I'd like to watch and review that movie as well, you could make that a definite when running a season, just say that is movie we will review, no suggestions required.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] - you could start thinking about what theme you'd like us to do for Season 5 now, if you'd like. In this thread there have been some suggestions for themes, or you could pick a movie and as I said above no suggestions will be needed, or can do what we have done and free styled it and everyone just lists a movie they like and we vote on those. Once megvoh's thread runs 30 days and most if not all have placed reviews you can then post your thread for suggestions, or just use this thread the same as I did and megvoh did last season.

At this point, I would suggest it is getting a little late to have us review the new Ghostbusters movie since it likely won't be in theaters much longer. So, just a suggestion to anybody who might have liked us to do that movie...

IF we do, it would probably be best, at this point, to wait until it is out on Bluray/DVD.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast