+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting About Our Lives Is No Longer Private but Public

Posting About Our Lives Is No Longer Private but Public

Me, like many on here and other message boards or forums go on here and post our issues, problems, concerns, about our relationships, marriages, engagements, family and friend situations etc. But my friends pointed out that posting about any issues or problems on a message board makes that private issue no longer private and public, and why should everyone else know the problem at hand? Shouldn't that issue be discussed between the two people only? Not even discuss it with close friends, family, etc. Just get it discussed between the two people, get it solved, and thats it, no one else needs to know, thats it and move on, if the issue gets solved? What do you think of people posting about their issues, problems, on public message boards whether this one or other ones online. What about people talking about their issues to close family or friends, do you think thats wrong too?

Who cares, your phone can be tapped too, so nothing is private regardless. Don't live in fear is what I say. Do what helps you.

Well, there is a big difference, though. In MOST cases, message boards like this are completely anonymous. Heck, sometimes you become friendly with the people you meet on them, but even then it usually remains as online friends and rarely crosses into real life. So, in other words, it is still relatively private.

Yes, if I share some of my private experiences on this message board it puts it out there for the public to see..... but nobody knows who I really am. They know that TheEvilJester has had a poor experience with relationships. They know that TheEvilJester has started to lose hope that there is a special gal out there for him. They don't know that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has lost hope that.... oh crap! (NOTE: I'm kidding. I am not Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. LOL!)

Now, where I personally agree that people need to stop airing their dirty laundry is on social media like the Facebooks and the Twitters and stuff like that. Those sites are most definitely NOT anonymous because it is your own personal profile.

So, in that case I definitely do agree with you. People shouldn't air their grievances with each other on a public forum such as that, but should instead be adults and talk to each other. But, these days there are too few actual adults in the world anymore. The gigantic self-entitled babies who run around calling themselves adults as they throw temper tantrums at the drop of a hat are way too prevalent in this day and age. They are exactly the type of scumbag to go onto Facebook and post a long rant about how somebody wronged them sooooooo badly.... being careful to share only the details that make them look like the innocent angel, or even blatantly lying to make themselves look better when, in fact, they are often to blame for the supposed wrong-doing.

So do you think posting upon forums isn't really private as much as we think?

Yes, forums are private. Do you know my name? I met my boyfriend on this forum, BUT he is the only one who knows who I am on here...catch 22 right? If I'm having issues with him...probably don't wanna post about him on here, BUT he's the smartest guy I know...I just take the problems to him.
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

I've had people say that posting about your issues and problems on a forum doesn't make those issues and problems no longer private they are public and everyone shouldn't know about them, just keep it between you and the person or people in question.

If it helps you cope, then by all means, post on here.
    I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it's all part of a plan, Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you'll understand--Ed Sheeran

Once you are on the internet, there is no such thing as private. Ashley Madison is a perfect example.

For me, I subscribe to forums such as this to connect with different people all over the world. I rarely post about my own problems, and never post specific details about people in my real life out of respect for their privacy, but I do enjoy discussing topics and offering my advice/opinion on threads started by others. The only time I've ever asked for advice on a relationship forum, is when I want help sorting out a problem that I am not comfortable discussing with people in my real life. Throughout my years of being in and out of relationships, I've learned it's so much better not to talk about problems within your relationship to outside sources. Even if you are just venting, it can promote negativity from the people you complain to. I prefer to deal with relationship problems head on, with the person I am in a relationship with. Whether that is a boyfriend, friend, or family member, it's always better to address problems with that person, rather than run to outside parties.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger101 View Post
    So do you think posting upon forums isn't really private as much as we think?
    Yes and no. Things on the world wide interwebs aren't as private as people think..... but at the same time, message boards are relatively private. As long as you register under a screen name that in no way identifies who you actually are, you are pretty safe to post with anonymity. In reality, nothing is 100% safe. If somebody in your life were psycho enough and tech savy enough, they could certainly find a way to hack into all your most private accounts and identify you on various message boards you use. I'm not going to say it is unheard of.... but how many of us really have to worry about something like that?

As melancholia said, more often than not I choose not to share my own personal stories/issues here. From time to time, though, I do. Even then, though, I never give any details specific enough that anybody could ever know who I actually am. Hell, even if somebody who knows me in real life happened to stumble onto this board, they'd have no way to know it was actually me. As much as we are all our own unique person, there are also countless other people very similar to us. There are probably countless other people out there who love evil clowns and can type a novel sized response in a message board like it is nothing. Those items may make me pretty unique here on the board, but not unique enough that somebody could say "OH HEY! I know this person! It's Bruce Campbell! Groovy!" (Kidding. I'm also not Bruce Campbell. LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    Those items may make me pretty unique here on the board, but not unique enough that somebody could say "OH HEY! I know this person! It's Bruce Campbell! Groovy!" (Kidding. I'm also not Bruce Campbell. LOL!)
    "Shoot first, think later. Or don't think at all. Yeah! Shoot first, think never."

I <3 Brucey boy hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    message boards are relatively private. As long as you register under a screen name that in no way identifies who you actually are, you are pretty safe to post with anonymity.LOL!)
    Yeah, until someone from China hacks this forum and gets to your email account which can link to your name, location, etc then search you on facebook. NOTHING is private on the internet.

Right... because people from China are the only internet hackers out there. Besides, who the f*ck would waste their time hacking into a relationship forum when they can spend that time hacking into bank accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by melancholia View Post
    Right... because people from China are the only internet hackers out there. Besides, who the f*ck would waste their time hacking into a relationship forum when they can spend that time hacking into bank accounts?
    Fukcers who hacked Ashley Madison so they can harass the members and make their lives miserable!

Bottom line, don't post anything in here that you would not like your parents to find out.

I think Ashley Madison was hacked in order to expose the rich, public figures who used it; not so much the regular folks. However, I agree: don't post anything you don't want your family and friends to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast