+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you Stay Connected when Disconnected?

How do you Stay Connected when Disconnected?

When it comes down to the relationships, engagements, that you are involved in or have been involved in, and the two of you live a part, whether it'd be in the same state, city, or out of the state or country. How do you stay connected with one another? Like do you talk better through texting? Talking on the phone, Video calls on the phone or video calls on the computer? Which way worked best for you? How far a part did you live from one another? How long did it last? How long did it last before it ended due to the distance between you?

Out of all of the relationships and a few engagements I have been involved in, all have been long distance relationships, only very few were nearby,

40 miles a part

30 miles a part

20 miles a part

5 miles a part

I also tried the out of state thing, but that never worked out at all. Anyway what about you?

Most of my bfs lived close by farthest away by drive was 30 minutes.
    I don't do LDR.

Cool, well thats good.

I would only date someone who was in my same city. If it was more than a forty five minute drive, I'd want to be able to stay the night.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

The girl that's just split up with me was 35 miles away, about 45 mins depending on traffic....she was and still is worth every minute and every mile.

Out of all of the relationships and a few engagements
    You've had a "few engagements?" WTF don't you ever get to the alter with these "few?" Do you still have the rings?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I've dated long distance before tbh doesn't seem all that bad although there's clear physical benefits that are lacking. To stay connected web caming and gaming with that person is probably the closest thing to being physically there with them. Can also just do other things for entertainment like watching shows and movies synced up together on netflix (3,2,1 play!). Voice chatting and phone calls defiantly help as well. Periodic visits would be ideal as well.
    Last edited by Up is down; 15-12-15 at 12:09 PM.

I date someone who was in my same city
    but if I like a girl I would have arrived in another city

I have been in a long distance relationship for a year. I might be able to be of some use in this thread!

I found what made it easier was constant communication. We would have scheduled skype chats, texted each other often, made time for phone calls. Intimacy can get tricky but skype video calls eventually became the norm and so did dirty texts.

We used to watch film streams together, Netflix at a distance and would discuss the films after. We'd read the same books and would talk about experiences. We would always talk about what we'd do when we met up so it gave us something to look forward to.

I can say that it has definitely worked out as we're still together! We started out in different countries, now she's moved to me. I would recommend it only if you're sure it's going to work, otherwise I am conflicted because they can also cause a lot of heartache.

I was three states away from my now-husband for 8 months before he moved to be closer. This is what worked:

Be fully committed
    Have a plan
    Schedule dates
    Send presents (we made playlists for each other)
    See each other sometimes, even if it's a monumental effort
    Spammer Spanker

The is no option.