+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is he just not interested?

Is he just not interested?

I met a guy who I really like a couple of months ago. We really seemed to hit it off and he seemed to like me, wanted to chat every day and seemed keen to see me. We only went on 4 dates, as he has a busy job and our schedules don't match well. But I thought we could make it work if we liked each other enough. Suddenly he was offered a job at the other end of the country, and soon after he slowed contact eventually stopping. I was pretty hurt as he didn't give me any explanation,just went cold.
    I let it go, and four weeks later, I got a message from him, saying that he owed me an explanation, he thought he'd be moving away and it made sense to him to ignore me instead of stringing me along and that he was sorry. I later found a mutual friend had a few words with him that prompted this.
    I replied that I'd found it confusing, and he could have told me what he was thinking cos I'd have understood, instead of feeling is done something wrong. He didn't respond but when I asked him if he was still moving, he said no but now he may be moving even further away, overseas. The conversation carried on a little and tailed off, I didn't know if I should seem too keen to talk after what's been said ( or not) .
    Do you think I said the right thing and handled it ok, or should I have tried to talk to him more? The thing is I really like him and don't want to lose touch. But it seems he's telling me he's not interested? Even though he got back in touch? I just feel a little confused :/

The thing is I really like him and don't want to lose touch.
    And what pray tell is the sense in that? He's moving overseas and he is rude and inconsiderate to just have ghosted you instead of said a proper goodbye to you.

You shouldn't want someone who treats you like that in your life no matter how much you thought you "liked" them.

Try to look at this realistically and take off the rose coloured glasses: It seems the only reason he got in touch is because your friend made him feel like shit so he wanted to not look like the asshole that he actually is. Silently thank your higher power that he showed you what a weak character he is.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I don't think he did the right thing at all. It was an immature decision on his part on how he chose to end things and I wouldn't really advise talking to him like an old friend given that he hurt you. If he's not interested after having just dropping contact without warning, then he's not worth your time in my opinion.

The most effective way to communicate is to discover facts and relay your own. It is always prudent to ask questions so that you two are on the same page. Informing him that he shouldn't have ignored you is unnecessary. He knows he ignored you. He just thought it was the easiest way to break it off. If he wants you, then let him show it.
    Relationship Coach - RelationshipTeacher.com

yeah, I'm just going to leave it alone now. He didn't behave in a very nice way so I guess that is some reflection on his character. Maybe he's not as great as I thought he was. And yeah, I won't be treating him like a friend, i won't be contacting him again.no point anyway. Thanks for answering everyone.