+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review of the movie : The Way, Way Back

That's a good point. I had forgotten about that scene. Again, I think that illustrates one of the main themes I got from this movie.... that adults don't really have it "all together" all that much more than the young'uns. (Love that word. LOL!) Honestly, life is often about learning to make the best of what you have. All the same, that doesn't mean you don't ever strive for better.... strive to do the best you can. Much as Owen imparts to Duncan in this exchange. It is GREAT to learn to be happy with what you've got, but there is also a time and a place to realize when you maybe SHOULD strive for more.

I think this exchange proves Owen realizes that, even if he may not necessarily act on it himself. The last thing I think he'd want for Duncan is to wind up spending the rest of his life just working at a water park, hence this exchange. By the same token, Duncan's mother's adventure/revelation parallels that in many ways. She's settling for Trent because she wants to be happy with somebody, and because it is hard having to start all over. Hell, having been married and divorced, she already knows that. So, she's inclined to ignore or even be unintentionally oblivious to how much of an @$$hat Trent is until he actually crosses a line (by cheating on her).

She, too, was settling. Maybe she didn't realize it, maybe subconsciously she did, but she was settling for Trent because it seemed like being with an @$$ was at least better than being with nobody/starting over again. But, both mother and son have grown from their experiences in this movie, and I think there may be brighter times in the future for both.

Yes, thanks to both of your replies, Jffs24 and TheEvilJester.

Owen has resigned himself to be happy with what he has there but obviously wants more but doesn't want to risk it, you think maybe down the road if the movie continued he would marry Caitlin and start a family ( be a dad he implied he never had ) and move away and embrace change.

The movie at least leaves us knowing Duncan will be alright, that time there has implanted real change in him and confidence.

Curious to each member who were your favorite or favorite two characters and did you have a least favorite character in the movie or if not a least favorite scene/exchange?

In agreement with both of you ^ -- I don't usually think about what happens with characters after, unless there is some sequel made for us to show us what actually happens but you get the gist that things are definitely going in the right direction now for Duncan.

To answer your question above, topaz --

Favorite characters would be Owen and Betty.

Least favorite -- Joan even Kip for that matter lmao

Can't think right now of a least favorite scene but a end scene I liked was when Owen met Trent and said " you must be Trent, I'm Owen a good friend of the three " LMAO
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

To be clear it isn't the actress who plays the mum I don't like in general as an actress I just didn't take to her playing this role as Duncan's mum, Pam. Zombified trot imo, lol like her heart wasn't into the role, maybe because a lot of the other parts had some real meat to them and that role didn't? idk

My favourite characters were: Owen and Caitlin

Least favourite : no shock here : Pam and for character role in movie Trent ( was an assshat but great acting by Steve Carrel )

Favourite scene was one I mentioned in a previous review post in here:
    When she sees her sons photo up at the water park and comes to a realization that she failed him that summer and to bring it full circle she jumped into the way way back seat with her son at the end of the movie, leaving her Bf alone up front, unlike the first scene where her son was alone in the back seat while she slept by her bf as her verbally abused her son and was digging at his self confidence.

No real least favourite scene other than maybe the guys getting Duncan to objectify young girls at the water park. Was sort of creepy a looked like 30 plus year old guy creeping on the bods of 14 year old girls etc. lol no one mentioned that in their reviews yet and it wasn't needed to build his self esteem at that point.
    Last edited by megvoh; 11-01-16 at 07:05 AM. Reason: gender error lol

Ok So I watched the movie and it seemed American to me in a way - stupid things, stupid jokes. Liked the guy in main role. The nerdy guy who seemed to be like a doormat at first, even struggling to interact with his mum friend while dancing with her(his mum friend). I liked that movie was mainly original but I dont get how guy sudennly had enough confidence to interact with his neigbour - the girl who liked him. He should be feeling and thinking like he is worthless after what we saw in the beginning of the movie.

What seemed real to me and what I understood was when his mother BF said him that his father doesn't need him. Its tuf to realize when you love your absent father but when you mature you realize theres just no excuse. And guy matured a lot during movie. Overall movie turned in pretty serious stuff after less serious start. I would give it 6-7 stars out of 10. Worth watching.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I think favorite character for me would definitely have to be Owen, simply because I love that completely goofy intentional doofus type of character.... even better when there is a real heart to them like there was to this character. Like Dr. Venkman from the Ghostbusters (of course I would make that comparison. LOL!)

I don't think I'd say I have a least favorite character. I would lean towards saying Trent, but the thing is I liked is character in a love to hate them kind of way. In other words, yes I hated him, but it was because we were supposed to hate him, so it was a kind of "hate him" that was enjoyable, especially since he got his in the end, so to speak.

I don't know if I'd say I have a particular favorite or least favorite scene, but there were a few that stood out here and there.

As far as where the characters would be if the story continued.... hard to say. Duncan is still a teen, so there is likely to still be years of awkwardness and finding himself. It isn't like one summer is going to suddenly magically turn him into Mr. Perfect. (Besides, Curt Hennig was Mr. Perfect, and nobody can ever live up to that. :-P ) I do think, though, he is in a much better place after the movie, and well on his way to finding himself.

Similarly for the mother, I think she's finally learned from the mistakes of her past relationships. Who knows? She could be doomed to start dating just yet another a-hole, but I think this time around she may actually have finally learned that she deserves better.

Owen.... well, really it could go either way. I could see him eventually realizing he wants something more real. What I absolutely DON'T see happening is him losing his goofy sense of humor and care-free ways. I could see the character, though, taking life a little more seriously. Settling down with Maya Rudolph's character, having a kid or two. He'd be the goofy dad that the other kids find hilarious, but his kids find completely embarrassing. LOL!

At the same time, he could easily get stuck in his rut and win up losing his gal due to being too afraid to really take anything too seriously, and being too comfortable in his rut. I'd hope it would be the former, not the latter. I really did feel like we say that there was more to him than JUST the goofball character, that he did have the potential for even greater if he was just willing to shoot for it.

Is this just for group posters to chime in on only? if so sorry for any intrusion on my part.

I have seen this movie when it first came out and what I recall of it it was funny and meaningful .. a hard mixture to do in a comedy and pull off successfully, I watched it for the adult actors not for the teen aspects and recall enjoying the true bastard of a character Carrel created in it because we only saw him as a funny good guy ever before.

Sorry and pops out.

Its alright dollhouse, everyone can review this movie, especially you.

I'll second what pc said, dollhouse -- you aren't intruding -- we are missing two gals anyhow for reviews so you are evening it out some lmao.

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] -- I agree he got some self confidence damn quick but I guess that was to quick speed the process along due to the movies running time.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] -- I agree on your likes, dislikes and what you, meg and even dollhouse said about Carell's character Trent. When a movie is done right it's fun to speculate on the what ifs.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Topaz said we all can ask each other questions too -- forgot to in my previous post and since I won't be back online until Monday here's my question to the group:

I think I know the answer for a few of us but regardless -- which character did you see yourself in the most and why?

For myself : Owen and why is because I am easy going, laugh shit off, and don't let things get to me like it might to most and in some ways have settled into a comfortable existence for myself.

Good to know that Im not the only one thinking guy was too confident. Thats where actually acting as bad too. Cause actors have strong nerves and thats showed in his acting at times. He was not totally into his character those times and you could see real him not his character those times. But overall he did good. Most scenes were believable. I believed 100% when he heard that his father didnt need him. His face expression was perfect it showed the emotions perfect emotions for that scene.

Answering to your question I see myself as that big guy who helped free up the pipe from people by banging into them lol.

You know, funny enough I personally had pretty much the opposite reaction. Me, I found his early attempts to come out of his shell and show a little personality as a bit clunky and awkward. Cringe-worthy, almost. I don't personally feel like he showed such a sudden change in confidence. To me, his early attempts in the movie came across more as somebody trying to pretend to be somebody they are not. Like scenes where he parrots back Owen's jokes to the neighbor girl, or where he makes the attractive female wait at the top of the slide for unnecessarily long just the way the other guy did it.

It came across to me as uncomfortable and lame because instead of finding a personality of his own, he was just copying those of his new-found friends, but doing so very poorly. It wasn't until later in the movie where it felt, to me, like he actually started to find a personality of his own and realize that there were people who actually liked him for him.

To be honest, I'm not really sure I particularly saw myself in any of the characters of this movie this time around. I could relate to many of them, but I wouldn't say I saw myself in them. In bits and pieces of several characters, but there wasn't one character that I felt I could have easily imagined myself instead of them.

Finally forum is working but is way late for me in my AM so only posting this and off to bed. I'll post more the coming week
    [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] Yay there is your review and lol on who you relate to most that guy got the job done though, saved the day for the water slide jam up.
    [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION] - on your question I'd say a cross between Susanna and Caitlin. I am not just a single character but more a combination of the two of them.

Thank you to pcmaster for his review, still waiting on two others and it's okay for you to post in here dollhouse it is a thread for people who have watched the movie, you don't need to be part of the movie club to reply. Your thoughts as are all other members are much welcomed here, thank you.

On the questioned Jffs24 asked of us I think I would also be a part Susanna as well, especially at that age and oddly a part Betty ( sometimes I can say things without thinking IRL ) and it causes looks or issues, I mean no harm but it happens.

So none of the males felt any kinship to Duncan?

megvoh, I wondered about that.. "wait wait wait".. scene too and them repeating it again with Duncan at the helm of it, so wasn't necessary for his story line he already had confidence by then, so I agree.

Thanks, folks who indulged my question. Interesting replies.

To what you asked, topaz about Duncan, not really -- I mean I felt for the kid and his obvious struggles but in no way was that my experience at his age so nothing to relatable for me irl.

- - - Updated - - -

Found these vids -- if anyone is interested in watching. I only picked the directors and one other but they have others with some of the other characters too.

- - - Updated - - -

More reasons to say this forum sucks -- it won't allow two vids in one post and because the forum won't let you double post it is all included into the same message therefore I can't share the second vid.

So I'll post it in another reply tomorrow. Thanks loveforum lmao

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast