+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movie Review of the movie : The Way, Way Back

I wouldn't necessarily say I felt NO kinship to Duncan. I definitely saw a little bit of myself in the character, I am just saying I wouldn't necessarily be watching this movie and saying "YES! That was SO me." I mean, I'm about the most ridiculously shy and socially awkward sumb*tch you could want to meet and even I was sitting there internally screaming "DUDE! The neighborhood 'hot chick' is talking to you. At least say SOMETHING." Not that I don't understand. Where I in his shoes, I'd be a nervous wreck, but even at my most awkward stage of life, I still would talk to somebody if they actually engaged me in conversation first. I sort of found myself half wanting to smack him upside the head because I'd have KILLED for some attractive young girl to actually make an effort to talk to me when I was around that age.

That and, again, like I said I found his early attempts at showing personality to be uncomfortable and annoying. Again, to me instead of him coming into his own, it struck me more as him trying to act like other people. Don't get me wrong, I get this was part of him trying to find himself. It was just sort of uncomfortable and awkward to watch, but I do think that was kind of intentional. I think it was meant to look like he was copying those around him, but it was obvious that it wasn't really him. It wasn't until later that he started to discover himself. Rather than just trying to be some of the characters he looked up to he started to be himself. He started instead to discover who HE was, not just emulate those he thought he wanted to be rather than himself.

Discovering who you are, where you fit in, is I think something we all struggle with. Especially at that age. Honest to God, I still sometimes wonder where the Hell I fit in, or IF I even fit in at all. But, like Duncan has started to, I've at least become pretty well aware of who I am, and I've learned to be myself rather than to try to emulate who I think I should want to be.

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] - Yes, TY I thought it was just me on that scene or two. Sexist lol also I was thinking as much as Trent was an asshat among all the absentee dads in the movie Trent had his daughter(child) with him.

I could see a little awkwardness of Duncan in me at 12 y o as in most 12 y o where you are not comfortable in some social or even family situations and new surroundings.

Going to watch your video, Jffs24, hope you do post the other one too, got me curious.

Like what you typed above ^^ TheEvilJester I thought the same when on the patio side by side decks? She wanted to chat him up and he knew it and she hung around and he froze up and she approached him a few times and he did nothing back. Sort of like that girl on here always chatting up her neighbor and nothing lol.
    I agree when young you want to be liked to sometimes you mold yourself into what others want you to be and not your true self and that never works out being false about yourself, it's hard to keep up that kind of lie really, it is always easier just to be you and find people who enjoy the real yous company, right.

What happens now, topaz?

Just b you

Exactly. I think we even all go through that at some point in our lives. We are trying to figure out who we are, so we emulate those to whom we look up the most. Again, like I said, with Duncan just parroting back jokes from other people as opposed to just actually being himself. He sees something he likes in his new friends (a goofy sense of humor) and therefore tries to recreate the same, but it is a little unnatural for him. It is through that, though, that we often start to discover ourselves and who WE are, not just faking as though we are other people.

I think of one scene at the very end as sort of the culmination of all that. When Duncan decides he is going to try to pass Owen in the slide, this to me is the biggest sign that Duncan is coming into his own. Owen often made jokes about the legend of somebody having done that before, but did you ever once in this movie see Owen make claims of trying to make it happen? No, but Duncan decides he will try to make the legend a reality. This was symbolic of Duncan starting to make his mark on the world. :-) ...Starting, of course. Nobody peaks at that age.... or at least let's hope not. Passing somebody on a water slide would certainly not be a great thing to have as your biggest life accomplishment. LOL!

I checked it out after seeing all the posting about it lol :-] ~ was an alright movie. Didn't know most of the actors in it but was funny & poignant ~ nice reviewing comments in this thread just to say. I'm only commenting because I read the OP say it was okay for others on the forum to comment.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Here's that second vid, folks -- what is wrong with the website here? anyone else having issues?
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION], Jffs24 , topazlight ..Thanks all. The reviews done on this movie were interesting to read, nice job to each of you.

You welcum. We should start new vote.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

You are welcome, dollhouse and also thank you for your post, breathe123, I am not sure what geicoad is saying, I take it as post counting or something similar to that.

[MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION] on your question of " what happens now?" and [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] on starting a new vote on the next movie, that is what should happen but melancholia isn't replying to discuss her movie and the person who won the vote was the person to start up the next movie vote so I don't even know if they even want to start up the next movie round at this moment. I sent out PMs but no reply and apparently they have posted on the website since I sent my messages.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I posted in other thread when I started this thread for reviews: To fully answer what happens now to each of you. If anyone else wants to message melancholia to inquire feel free to do so. I already sent out a PM and I am sure they have read through this thread already.

Posted in other thread:

Okay to for melancholia as the winner of the first movie vote you inherit some power as well.

When the review of your movie is completed by all members, it will be up to you which movie and how it gets picked is decided.

So you can pick a movie out of the last list if you'd like, or you can have all of us once again suggest a new movie ( but you won't suggest one yourself) so another member can have their movie pick and this is how we will do this down the line of chosen movies, okay?

You can ask for members to pick a certain genre if you want, or from a particular decade too.

Then you also get to decide how it gets chosen.

Can be either, by you alone if you choose, by OT poll vote like I did for your movie, or by verbal( ish) votes in the discussion thread. Totally up to you.

----------

Suggestions? Apologies for not being on to clarify this again but things have been hectic here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    I checked it out after seeing all the posting about it lol :-] ~ was an alright movie. Didn't know most of the actors in it but was funny & poignant ~ nice reviewing comments in this thread just to say. I'm only commenting because I read the OP say it was okay for others on the forum to comment.
    Well, it's NOT okay. You're fired! Collect your things and get out.

....Wait.... I'm totally kidding. LOL! Of course it is okay. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. Even if you didn't join our movie group, I don't see why you can't jump into the discussion if and when you've seen the movie we are discussing. The more people that join in, the more discussion we get out of it.

LoL & thanks, TheEvilJester ^^^ I felt like I was creeping on you guys by reading & not watching the movie you all reviewed. I would be happy to be a minor player is that what it's called? if your movie group ever needs an extra person to watch & review someone can Private message me ~ looks like fun. :-]
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] -- I agree with you, I think all of us exhausted the convo on this movie and probably should continue to the next -- so [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] that's my nod to do next one also.

I'd also suggest pcmaster run the next one since he came in second in that last vote since melancholia doesn't seem to be fu cked with this at all and topaz said above that that poster is supposed to run the next vote and if that's the case it will never happen. My 2 c.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Wah on melancholia and friendsfirst not posting. Why chickies why? I think topaz wants the winner of the poll to do the next movie so is probably up to melly to say no publicly and pass it to next person herself. [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] when last on I sent melancholia a p. message maybe on the 20 th? asking where are you, we want to read her review and so on and she didn't reply, checked p. messages when on today. Saying this because you said UP THERE others could p. message her and I already have week + ago.

I'll echo pc and jffs and agree on doing new review since all talk on this movie is done.
    Maybe pc could message her an ask if she'd mind him doing it since jffs volunteered him?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123