+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review of the movie : The Way, Way Back

Movie Review of the movie : The Way, Way Back

Congratulations to melancholia and her movie being chosen as our first movie to review

All movie reviewers have 30 days from now to post their reviews. Can be posted this weekend or day of the end of 30 days, is up to each person when they want to post and when they have the free time.

Have fun! and happy movie watching.

This is my thoughts and review of the movie : The Way, Way Back ( 2013 - comedy/drama )

Well, right off the get- go I felt sorry for the main character, Duncan because his mothers bf is clearly an asshole and she is okay with it, it is tormenting her son in the very first scene of the movie and she sleeps through it ( supposedly) the BF is practically yelling at her son to say a # right by her so highly unlucky she didn't hear the conversation between them.
    Not cool, in my eyes anyone who favors a bf over a child.

And then labels her son a 3 when he said he felt he was a 6 ( reasonable #) Also note he says " my beach house" then makes it seem like he cares about this kid, not buying it.

I love the wagon car and that back seat, if it was me I would pick that seat to ride in too. Wonder if it makes you motion sick though.

It looks like a peaceful little beach town to spend the summer, but because of that we are too assume it isn't really, looks can be deceiving.

Steve Carrel's reaction to the drunk female neighbor. Lol and she is loud and lippy, the worse kind of summer neighbor. The son clearly took a liking right off to the young neighbor girl.

Neighbor lady is way way TMI. I couldn't bear her off first impression and telling everyones personal business.

You can really how much of an outsider the main character is made to feel by all around him.

Chad's a douche and beach girls are bitches, minus the neighbor blonde.

First thought of The BFs friends Joan and Kip, they must be swingers?

Even at an active talk at the dinner table the boy is still quiet. Then finally his own mother seems to acknowledge his loneliness.

He had a nice little moment of coming out of his shell with the neighbor girl on the patios, first spark of getting comfortable with his surroundings.

I didn't know any music in this movie but I liked most of it, obviously it was used to convey nostalgia.

I felt he wanted him to wear the life vest to embarrass him in a way he felt was subtle, but not really.

Shocked that the mother and BF were together for almost a year, and yet no connection to her son, hm. He isn't "with her" she is with her BF, and her son is left to find his own way, imo.

When he saw the guy ( Owen ) at the water park for a 3rd time it was obviously that him and that man were to be each others supporters in what ever way, he saw him in the car behind him when driving into the town, meant to be.

The loneliness of Duncan was palatable, made me feel sad watching, not sure if anyone else felt that way?

Owen really stepped with his kindness towards Duncan making a real connection - a kindred spirit? I liked his observation that when the woman looked back she likes him.

"thanks for the ride" hey "thanks for the memories" Lol

The mother wanted him to eat with her, finally to sit and spend time with her son at the cook out and then she leaves, way to be selfish, I would have tossed my food too.

Beach house meet up with the "swinger" girl not a shock, you could tell from scene before there was a past history.

The scene with the dancing at the water park was a nice little moment of inclusion for Duncan.

Makes me never want to play candyland

Mmhm " the motors out" Again, very obvious he was a cheater. She knew it long better that point, son knew too. Sad what some women tolerate.

The neighbor girl understands him, same way the water park guy does but he misread the signals but just in that moment ( kiss later on when SHE is ready for it). Either way a touching moment, helped by the music.

Basically the mom was telling him " I am settling " in that moment. Glad seeing her son thrive made her snap out of it.

I felt like the movie showing us the main character against the water park guy ( Duncan) is to maybe say this too will one day be you, not always going to be awkward.

Moral of this movie to me is all you really need is ONE person to see your worth and believe in you to make a real difference in your life and also NEVER settle.

I watched it online and would give it a 8/10 for my review.

My review will be no where the length of yours, topaz. Maybe I'll write a paragraph or two.
    I watched it but haven't typed up my review as of yet, will middle this week, that's a promise.

You said we could share thoughts on watching along with any review so I looked up wondering about the title of the movie and found that it is because of the seat in the back of the station wagon the main character sits in.
    It is called the way way back seat, I found that interesting in case others also did not know too.

I didn't like Toni Collette as the mum, just didn't work for me I found all other actors good and believable in their roles but her and I like her as an actress but didn't care about her at all from how she played it and the amount of screen time she was given. Others had less screen time, like the two men at the water park and the woman at the park and all three did more with their characters, IMO.
    I would have preferred Vera Farmiga in the role.

Got the time so decided to finish up my review lol quickly

I liked the movie, it was a good watch, probably not a movie I would ever watch again or buy mainly because it dealt with the perspective of a teen boy, not a girl and I prefer more the same gender ones because I can relate more and connect more.
    The main character was likable, sweet in a nerdy way and wanted to make the best of his situation which made you route for him. I wish there was more time spent on him and the female girl, and not as much him and the older adult male. But I guess that was a quasi dad figure for him, since the movie told us later on his dad didn't want him living with him. Most memorable characters for me were the drunk/loud neighbor woman, Trent, Owen out side of Duncan our main hero of the story.
    Movie to me was about building self confidence and being happy in your own skin, the end of the movie showed the mother and son's growth with that.

The movie had a nice balance of serious and comedic which I liked and it was shot nicely and well acted. Still didn't like Toni Collette as the mum lol but liked Steve Carrell has the ahole bf, memorable and did a good job with his part because I believed him.

I'd rate this movie with a 7/10 rating.

Nice reviews, meg and topaz -- Agree on Carell doing a good job with his character, he's a solid actor in comedy and drama. Like seeing 'the dean" lmao in the movie too, he wrote it I believe? Allison Janney is such an underrated actress, she acted miles around Collette and a few others.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Thank you, megvoh for your review and I felt upset at Colette's character, same as I did with Carell's, so both made an impression. I felt Trent's daughter was an unnecessary character to the plot, the story didn't need her.

This photo sums up the purpose of the movie for me -- yes, still will write a brief review too lmao but adding bits and pieces, here and there.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

^ That's a good idea, Jffs24. Now I want to find an image that best summarizes the movie for me too. *goes to search google images* lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sorries the large image file, only one I could find and isn't the exact image I wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted the screenshot of when she sees her sons photo up at the water park at the end before the screenshot I posted. But couldn't find it.
    That is what created this moment in the movie when she climbs from the front seat by her lover to the way way back seat with her son.

- - - Updated - - -

Full circle moment of clarity.

Those are both poignant moments in the movie. Makes you hope for the best for both mother and son and what their future can hold and you wish for Duncan to return back to that beach town and the water park one day soon.

I'm not going to go into great length. At least not for me. However, I watched it yesterday morning, so here is my review:

In a nutshell, I'd say this was a good movie. Honestly, I love movies, so I can watch a wide range of stuff and enjoy myself. I do have my favorites, but I can watch something from almost any category. As long as it is something that keeps my attention and entertains me, it is something I can watch.

Right off the bat, this movie kept me both engaged and entertained. Never, for a second, did I feel my attention drift. I enjoyed it the whole time without thinking "I could be playing my game right now" or "I could be surfing the Internet right now" or "I could squeeze in my workout early so I don't have to do it later." To me, that is the ultimate test of a movie/TV show/whatever. With all the things I like to do, if the movie/show/etc. can keep my attention, that is all I ask.

With that said, I wouldn't necessarily call this one of the best movies I've ever seen. I wouldn't feel the need to buy this or feel the need to watch it again (let alone again and again and again). ...However, that said, I also wouldn't mind. If I found this in the $5 bin at Walmart, or saw it cheap on Amazon, I actually might pick it up.

For the more detailed review....

The movie was overall great, but for me it was really MADE by three of the characters. Duncan, Trent (played by Steve Carell) and Owen (played by Sam Rockwell who some may remember from Iron Man 2, another great role of his).

Duncan because I could relate to him. Not because of his family life, which did not resemble mine in any way. However, because of his feeling of sort of being lost in life. Of having nowhere to belong, yet still wanting to belong. At his age, I felt much the same. Honestly, even these days I still feel like that youthful boy wanting to fit in somewhere and yet feeling like I don't belong anywhere. I could relate to the hopeless feeling this character portrayed throughout the beginning of the movie. Even if sometimes I was thinking "DUDE! Say SOMETHING! I have always been extremely shy and socially awkward, but even I at least speak when spoken to." LOL! But, I feel for the character.

Then their is Trent, dripping with cocky douche-baggery. A role very different from what we are often used to seeing from Steve Carell. Though he has played jerks before, he usually plays the goofy, loveable character, so this was a bit of a departure from his norm. I think this really showed his range as an actor because he did so well in this role I almost wanted to slap him even though I know he is just an actor playing a role. LOL!

Trent is exactly the kind of know-it-all A hole I HATE, so Carell did such a great job of bringing this character to life in a way you just love to hate. Here's the funny thing..... that whole "I think you're a 3" thing.... Honestly, I truly believe Trent THOUGHT with all his heart that this was him being supportive and motivational. I don't actually think the Trent MEANT this to be insulting..... the problem is that almost makes it even more insulting. He's just literally so full of his own $h*t that he thinks he's going to shake this kid out of his shell and motivate him to do something/be something. Does this jag off not remember being a teen? How awkward a time of life it is. The kid will find his way. Maybe he could use some loving advice and guidance, but he doesn't need motivation, especially not in such a pathetically cheesey way.

And, you know something.... he could even have delivered the exact same message in SO MUCH of a better way. Just off the top of my head, I was thinking.... Here would have been a much better way to deliver the exact same message without seeming like a smarmy jack@$$:

"What do you think you are on a scale from 1 to 10? Because, here's the thing, I think you are AT LEAST an 8..... but I don't think you let people see that. I'm not even sure you believe it yourself. You gotta get out there, buddy. Find what makes you happy and others will see that in you and gravitate towards it. Don't deprive the world of the great guy I know you are."

He's still a teen boy. I'm sure it would be met with the same amount of eye-rolling indifference, but the difference is it wouldn't leave him feeling insulted and even more down on himself that he obviously already did. Heck, it may even sink in a little bit and make him realize that at least some people care about him. Sure, he knows his Mom does, but Mom's sort of have to by default.

So, right off the bat we are introduced to how much of a d*ck Trent is. Believe me, I do get it to some degree. Duncan really could have done a lot more not to be so obviously miserable about the situation. But, here's the thing.... He's being dragged to a summer vacation he really wanted no part of where he couldn't see what he could possibly get out of it. Again, I get that he's a teen boy and his family was expecting to basically be there all summer. So, it isn't like they COULD just leave him home by himself for all that time. Still, his mother (and to some extent her boyfriend as basically his father figure on this trip) should have understood that the trip may not be quite so exciting for a teen boy and at least made some effort to help him find things that he might enjoy so it didn't feel so much like he was being dragged to something he didn't want to do in the slightest.

Again, Duncan's old enough to find that stuff for himself, but he's still young enough that it can be difficult. At his age, I wouldn't have known where to find stuff to do on a vacation I otherwise had no interest in attending. The drunk neighbor lady was so hilarious, because I think we can all relate to somebody like this in our life. Sharing WAY too much information, even the most personal stuff. Yet, you can't really hate her because she is such a positive and really sweet person. She just genuinely enjoys people, and though I HATE that, she's exactly the kind of person I'd LOVE in real life..... yet still avoid like the plague. LOL! I'm just not that much of a people person.

Then there's the teen girl (Trent's daughter) and her friends that I KIND OF hate, but really only in passing. The reason being, yes they are kind of snarky and b*tchy, but the thing is it is really just in that "teen girl, too young to know that $h*t won't fly in the real world" kind of way. She's not mean ENOUGH to cause me to really hate the character, which I think was honestly a good thing. In fact, it might have been kind of nice to see a more sympathetic side to the character, like maybe she breaks b*tch mode for a second to actually say something supportive to Duncan.

For me, Owen was what MADE this movie. I loved this character. He's exactly the kind of guy, as an awkward and shy as Hell teen that I would have LOVED to get to know. His enthusiasm and energy was so contagious that you can't help but have fun around the guy. Even more so, he actually genuinely cares about people. There were a couple times where Duncan broke up Owen's goofy, never take anything seriously attitude and these are the moments where the heart of the character REALLY shined through. Instead of proving himself to be phony and unable to deal with anything real, he epitomizes what I've always felt is the ultimate sign of maturity as an adult.... the ability to be a huge goof and have fun.... but also know when it is time to stop goofing and be serious.

I also think one of the strong underlying themes of this movie is that, even though sometimes teens think they have things so bad and that the adults have everything figured out.... the truth is honestly we are all in a constant state of "figuring things out." Life is one long experience of trying to find ourselves. Sometimes we stumble, sometimes we have it, sometimes we lose it, but we are always trying to find it.

Trent is presented to us as a guy who sure as Hell THINKS he has it all together.... knows it all.... but the more we learn about him, the more we realize just how wrong it is. Here, he has a great woman for a girlfriend, a daughter, a potential future step-son, a beautiful beach house..... and yet he has a jack-@$$y sense of entitlement, he's cheating on his girlfriend, and he doesn't seem to have a single sincere bone in his entire smarmy body.

Heck, even Owen, who is absolutely awesome, is an adult man working at a water park. So, it isn't like he really has it all together himself. He could be motivated to have some sort of career and a real future to eventually build a family for which he can provide. Instead, he seems content to work at a water park and basically make a joke of the whole thing..... but again, I see the potential he has because proves he really CAN be there when needed in a serious moment. I'd take a guy like that a million times over a smarmy jack@$$ like Trent even though he is obviously wealthy enough to afford a summer house.

To be honest, I think I truly felt for the mother even more so than Duncan. She just seemed so kind-hearted and genuinely caring. She maybe didn't quite "get it" so to speak, but in that typical Mom kind of way. But, I really feel for her because, despite obviously being hurt in the past (they don't come out and say it, but I feel like the implication was she'd been cheated on in the past, probably by Duncan's father) she is courageous enough to put her heart back out there.... and this A hole is the one who winds up getting it.

He repays that trust and love by simply wounding her again. I love the scene at the end where she moves from the front seat of the car to sit in the back with her son. Again, they don't come out and say it, but the obvious implication being that she is choosing to care enough about herself and about her son not to let herself be treated like that again. In other words, I have a feeling that relationship was over after this movie, but that the mother was actually BETTER for having suffered through it.

It seems both mother and son sort of found themselves through the events of this movie. As much as it sucked what they had to go through, they came out the end better for it. About the only critique I had with this movie was in one thing I found very unrealistic..... The "hot girl" goes out of her way to befriend the awkward, shy, nerdy guy. Yeah right. LOL! Heck, I could maybe believe for a second the first time she tried to spark up a conversation with him..... but the way he was so awkward about it, I find it highly unlikely she'd have bothered trying again in real life. All I can think is I'd have KILLED to have some girl in my teen days go out of her way like that to try to pull me out of my shell.

Overall, I dug this movie. Like I said, not one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, but I don't regret for a second having seen it. I'd watch it again.

....Okay, that wound up being longer then I thought. LOL!

Wowzers on your review, TheEvilJester. I knew it would be detailed but dayum *gives it a read*

I wonder if how the males saw the movie was any different from how the women saw it, or basically the same?
    Did you feel same way I did about Colette, or no, wondering if I am the only one who felt a disconnect with her? I think topaz and Jffs liked her.

- - - Updated - - -

I felt it was as much a Owen movie as a Duncan one too, all other characters began to pale and they shone through the most. I think because Duncan needed that adult male support, Jffs's image he posted says it all.

Yeah the " ur a 3" was a low blow, by shithead Trent. I felt through whole movie he didn't like Duncan but had to tolerate him because he was screwing the mum.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I read you liked and felt for the mom, I didn't until the end in the pic I posted when she clued in and was there in the moment to support her son, not her bf.

So folks -- here's my brief review of The Way, Way Back movie.

I am going to be no where as detailed as TEJ or topaz-- enjoyed reading both your reviews by the way -- I don't mind discussing a movie, the back and forth with members but sitting and typing out a review isn't how my mind really works. I usually think, yep, was good, or no, didn't like it, why'd I even bother watching it - lmao.
    This movie was a nice movie going experience because it isn't a typical movie I would ever watch, or think about watching -- so gets me out of my usual fare, which is helpful.
    I enjoyed the movie because I am a fan of Steve Carrel and Sam Rockwell, especially Rockwell.

Plus I read up on who wrote the movie and I am fan of both of those men too and was pleased to see they both had parts in the movie which gave a lot to the movies atmosphere.
    A big group of talent folks, making a decent thoughtful movie project. No hate here.

I didn't vibe off the kid, Duncan wasn't my experience as a kid of his age. I could feel for the dude but could not relate, I could relate more with Owen's character.

I liked Janney's performance as the nosey neighbor -- loud but obviously has a good heart, liked the actor who played her boy too.

Was a different take on a coming of age movie for a boy because they didn't have the typical -- " GET HIM LAID " -- tactic most those movies aim for -- this was more thoughtful as mentioned somewhere above by another poster. Kudos to the writers for that and the actors for carrying it out.

Maya Rudolph was good in this also -- her and Rockwell had some good scenes together, bitchy but not anywhere near as dysfunctional as the other movie couples we saw.

I think the Water Park was a major character in the movie as well, smart to set it around that IMO -- brings back some nostalgia for peeps, and it let Duncan escape who people felt he was, and not feel trapped by the restraints he let others put on him, even his own mom, definitely Trent.

Movie had a gentleness about it and was surprising that I liked it, because that isn't my type of movie fun. Was good that we were given a happy ending for the mother and son duo and let's you think about the ways they will grow from that brief summer holiday and in turn makes you think about how things from your past, even childhood that helped shape and change you really mattered, not matter the short time frame of it happening.

I would give the movie the same as megvoh gave it a 7 out of 10.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION] -- I get what you are saying about Colette's portrayal of the mom in the movie -- don't know if that was the direction she was given by the directors or her own style of acting but it was very understated and compared to others acting style in the movie ( more so the adults - all big louder characters) it would come off as dull and uninspired. )

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd include another photo -- this one has the two directors and screenplay writers of the movie in it. Big fan of Jim Rash from his Community days.

Could just be me, but I think the mother's role was kind of more subdued intentionally. She wasn't meant to be a larger than life character like Trent or Owen. She was meant to kind of be a silent backbone to the whole story. Throughout most of the movie, you could have said that the movie could have been fine without the character.... but at the end we realize the whole thing has been almost as much about her as it was about Duncan.

I think focusing too much more on the mother would have actually hindered that. I think it would have taken away from the powerful yet awkward scene where Duncan had finally had enough of seeing his mom treated so poorly. He didn't handle the situation well, embarrassing his mother in front of all those people, but you could tell that underlying it all, he really felt for his mother. He really cared for her. Seeing her get hurt perhaps hurt him even more deeply than Trent just being a jack@$$ in general. Feeling like she did nothing to protect her own self was just too much for him.

In the end, I think that played a huge part in finally waking her up and making her realize she deserved better. If her own son could see that, who could barely seem to make sense of anything in his life, how could she not? Sometimes that is what it takes, really. Seeing yourself through the eyes of those who care for you most.

Thank you, TheEvilJester and Jffs24 for adding your reviews. Excited to have the other members post theirs and all of us weigh in on different aspects of this movie.

I didn't like the two mother characters in different ways, but I liked the performances each actress gave us. Like I didn't like the character of Trent but I enjoyed the performance Steve Carrel gave us as Trent. I can understand if Toni Colette wasn't a first choice for you as the main character's mom, megvoh. I watched a lot of movies that I felt so and so would have been better cast as whomever. I wonder if all actors were first choices by the directors?
    Despite the sad nature of a lot of the movie characters, Duncan, Trent, Pam, and Betty the movie still had an uplifting aura and message to offer us. I liked that point.

I think Owen in his own way has settled, like Pam was settling with Trent only in different ways but still the same in that they were probably happy to remain where they were at in life and with who because the prospect of the unknown scared them.

Only got a few minutes to do anything re this today but wanted to say on what topaz said above on Owen is true -- and I recall a scene where he told Duncan not to settle. Had to google search it to find the exact exchange because not re watching the movie to find it lmao. Here is it:

Duncan: I wish I could stay here forever.

Owen: You're going to love the winters. They're pretty spectacular. Painting houses until it gets too cold, bar backing at some dive, talking to inanimate objects.

Duncan: I'm serious.

Owen: Yeah, so am I. There's a whole world out there for you, Duncan. Don't settle. Not yet.

Says it all right there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast