+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I label it a relationship after a month and a half of dating?

Should I label it a relationship after a month and a half of dating?

Hi, I will keep this as brief as possible.
    During the past month and a half I have been dating an incredibly successful, sweet guy who likes me a lot. Our relationship has progressed very quickly and we now see each other as often as possible (sometimes it is hard has we both have demanding jobs but we see each other at least three times a week) and truly enjoy each other's company (both physically and emotionally). He was open and honest with me fairly early, saying he wants me in his life and is certain he wants a relationship (he has been single for two years after having a relationship for 5 years). Although I like him equally as much and he is amazing, I still haven't given him the green light and defined us a couple as it all seemed too early. We jokingly made a bet that I will not last until the end of the month (February) which is rapidly approaching and I am not sure if I should end his torture and label it as a relationship (we are exclusive and have been after our second date, so it would not be any major change so to speak).

Many thanks!

Girl, this is totally your call, but it sounds like you're hesitant. You both like each other, that's great. But you're on this site, asking this question for a reason. Whatever that reason is, is it enough to say this may not be the right guy? Or are you just holding out on the "R" word to win the bet? If it's the latter, do you both the favor and call it a relationship - he'll be ecstatic and that alone should be worth it. Now, if there's something you haven't mentioned that's holding you back, I'd say tap the brakes and get it fixed first. Best of luck to you both ~

Perfect answer awase! He's made his interest clear.... wow, what a wonderful thing that is for you. Why ARE you asking on a forum if you should commit or not? Do you like him enough to do so? Im thinking your answer is no.... Im also thinking you can really hurt him if you say yes and youre not really sure. take your time and be sure... and keep him informed along the way that youre not there yet.

Thanks girls!

If there was a thing that could specifically make me not quite certain (although I feel as if I have made up my mind as of today) is that I am not impulsive when it comes to who I fully commit to and always fear of not building secure foundations (which I suppose could happen by rushing). Rash decisions are not my thing at all, however I realise that there is nothing holding me back.I like him more than I have liked anyone and I have dated/been long term relationships with a few guys already. Also, I had a long term relationship that ended a few months ago and I wanted to be completely sure no bitterness is left.

I have a similar view when it comes to relationships and people I am willing to commit to, elizabeth.k. I take relationships seriously, and when I decide to commit myself to someone, I fully commit, and I want it to be with the right person. We don't always know everything about a person before we decide to take that next step in the relationship, but you should at least know enough about them to know it would be worth taking that chance on them. I've been dating a great guy since the Summer. We've talked about our relationship and how we feel about each other and decided to take our time before making a serious commitment to each other. We are exclusive, we enjoy spending time together, and because we talked about our situation, we are comfortable with where we are at without the pressure of labels and the weight of a serious relationship. It's not up to outsiders to define your relationship, it's up to you and the person you're dating to do that. If you feel it's right, and you want to say "f.uck yes!" to a committed relationship, then do it. If you really like this guy, but you're feeling like things are progressing too fast, and you want a relationship but you just need more time, then say so. Be honest about your feelings and expectations, otherwise you could end up in a very uncomfortable situation.
    "Caring is not an advantage."