+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriends family thinks I'm annoying.. am I?

My boyfriends family thinks I'm annoying.. am I?

I know it's a dumb thing to worry about but it's bothering me a little bit. A while ago my boyfriend and I were having some issues and he tells me that his parents and siblings find me annoying. I'm not saying I wanted it hidden from me to but the fact that he would bluntly tell me that bothers me. It's like ok...thanks now what do you want me to do with this information? He explained why they feel that way. He says I get too hyper, excited and loud over little things. That I'm too silly and giggly and that I act too young. I know I naturally have a bubbly personality but I never knew I was annoying! I don't want his family to have a problem with me. I mean I'm not going to change myself for them but I also don't want to be seen as that girl who gets on everybody's nerves, you know? I mean I know they don't hate me because they welcome me into their house, talk to me and invite me to do stuff with them sometimes. I guess it's not the worst thing in the world. I just want to know if I sound like an annoying person in general cuz it could just be them. My boyfriends family members are more serious and cynical.. So I'm just going to do my best to describe myself and I want some honest opinions.

So I think I'm a pretty nice person. I try to be friends with everyone. Sometimes I don't pay attention to details like a persons body language or subtle social ques. My boyfriend says I do that a lot and because of that I sometimes end up talking nonstop to people who just don't want to talk or are busy. He also says I have a tendency to just assume everybody loves me even if they clearly don't and that I believe the best about everyone. I'm generally a happy person. My emotions are really intense so if I get excited I might squeal and start jumping up and down. I smile and laugh a lot. I also cry really easily if something upsets me. I also sometimes randomly start singing if I'm reeaallyy happy about something.

The only things I want to change is how oblivious I am to other peoples moods and body language. And also my tendency to assume I'm loved by everyone I meet cuz I always end up finding out the hard way. I also want to be more down to earth and not seem so ditzy and weird all the time.

I love my boyfriend and our relationship is pretty serious. It's really important to me that we get along with each others families. I've dated some guys that my parents didn't approve of so I know how hard that is. I'm also starting to think the only reason my boyfriends family puts up with me is because they're just glad I'm not his ex. From what I heard she was flat out rude, almost got into a physical fight with his sister, cheated, called his parents names..just bad stuff.

Best you can do is try to calm yourself when around his family, still be outgoing but not as giggling or loud in voice.
    Only should matter to his family if you are good to him and he cares about you and when around them polite. Also your bf doesn't need to nitpick your personality traits so much, I am sure he isn't perfect either.