+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club Season 2 Watch and Review movie !

I also watched the movie online, I probably shouldn't have found it depressing, but uplifting but as I said in other thread my head space is not great atm. The death of his wife, the feeling sorry for the Dennis character and him trying to adjust as being someone who has another care about him and love him, the death then of the dog and then the attempted suicide of Dennis. Well, you can see why I probably went away feeling different then the rest of you. The kid who played Dennis just broke my heart from the hiding in his box, to learning to adjust to being a normal boy, reminded me of the Pinocchio story a little, any one think? I felt for him, and for David ( Cusack's character) both obviously had hard childhoods and that caused the ability to understand and bond better than most other adults might have with Dennis, not to mention what David did for a living definitely helped. I cried, smiled, feel depressed, made me think about real life and other things which is good and bad when trying to concentrate on a movie to review. Sometimes maybe love is enough, especially when it comes to children, the safety of knowing someone loves you for you is everything to a kid, enough to a lot of us adults too. Let's not rule us out too lol I'd rather be a bit different then just like everyone else, so you rock your little weirdness, Dennis, it will take you far in life. Think he was a little genius anyhow, wise beyond his years.

[MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION] -- I can see the Pinocchio ref. because Dennis just wanted him to be a "normal " boy and drop the alien boy persona.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I know a lot of what you mention, megvoh, is exactly why this movie touches me so much. I can just relate to that feeling of wanting so badly to belong, to be loved, but feeling completely powerless and unable to know how to achieve that. All my life I've felt like I don't belong in this world, and I've had to sort of make my own way. Even to this day, I often still don't understand if/where I belong. I can relate to that struggle.

Again, so sorry this movie hit home for you in such a sad way due to your recent experiences. I will say this, I would NEVER condone somebody taking their own life like that. For a million reasons, really. You rob yourself of the chance to ever get the life you deserve. Why let this terrible world win like that? ....BUT, I also refuse to villanize those who have lost that struggle the way so many others do.

I can understand that feeling of having absolutely no hope of a better life. I can understand the feeling of that despair. I've been both blessed and cursed with an inner-strength I often wish I didn't have that just refuses to let me give up (even when I don't understand why I bother).... but even so, I can understand that feeling. So, I refuse to ever jump on the band-wagon of people who get angry with those who have taken their lives. Certainly, I understand being upset. But, you have to understand how they must have been feeling to get to that point. Yes, I would wish they could have gotten help instead of solving a temporary problem with a permanent solution.... but again, I can understand that mind set.

Anyway, if it offers any solace, at least know that whatever pain your friend was in, it is now over. I so wish she could have found that peace in life, but if that was not possible, then at least she has hopefully found it in whatever comes after.

Yeah, I think I'll give it a re watch when feeling more like myself and put any other added thoughts RE this movie in the big review thread because this one might be locked by that time, sorry all. Where are pc's and the other two womens reviews?

I liked the movie, it was a sensitive telling of a story and that was got me in the ole feelers lol Typically a good thing but not as of late.

I have those same issues feelings of wanting to be just like everyone else too, mostly because of my hearing since childhood, I am very outgoing but you get put on a "not like everyone else" sidelines when you have a hearing, eyesight or any different medical issue as a kid and it doesn't always get easier to deal with when an adult, if you know what I mean. Isn't just kids who are cruel. SMH.

So it really helps like in Martian Child for Dennis to have David see him as "his" to love and help and care for, not something so different it would be a bother to try. He went all in.

Thank you, TheEvilJester for not being evil at all Teehee you're a good one! I'll try to chime in more on this movie review next week with you all.

I watched the movie trailer and find it too disturbing and movie seems crazy so didnt watched it. Dont look like my taste of movie but there might be some lesson in it - especially if you are kid living in a box.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Did you watch the trailer before you picked the movie, did you watch the other trailers? You should watch it I can give you the online link I viewed it on if you don't want to buy/pay to watch@pcmaster.
    On another note wtf happened to the log in button? I figured out a way to still log in after about 30 minutes of trying, notice only a handful of others did too, some new members and some old before me ones obviously. I wonder if the forum was hacked, lots of changes but basically website looks simplified ( lots of content removed), not added to.

I watched trailer after I picked up movie [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION] .Before was sure that its just a nice comedy. Well they name comedy genre on most of the movies I guess.

Always staying logged on here. Just saves up those seconds everytime when visiting forum.

Quote Originally Posted by megvoh View Post
    Thank you, TheEvilJester for not being evil at all Teehee you're a good one!
    Hey! You take that back. LOL!

pcmaster,

Not sure what you mean by "disturbing." I really wouldn't describe this movie as "disturbing" by any stretch of the imagination. If you can explain what you find so disturbing about it, those of us who have watched it could maybe clarify if you might still enjoy it if you gave it a try or if you'd probably not like it based on what you didn't like about the trailer. Either way, it's a little hard to participate in a movie club if you don't watch the movie. No biggie, though. Not every movie is going to appeal to every member.

On a side note.....

I'm thinking we've given enough time at this point. Discussion of this movie certainly can continue if people would like, but it may be time to also begin voting on the next movie. Everybody agree with that? Again, we can still keep discussing this one, but at least that way we start to prepare for the next one as well.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION]

I don't understand why adopting is seen badly either, all children need a good home and especially children that came from broken ones they more than need to know what it is like to actually be shown love & respect & to be treated humanely. I like movies where you can feel an attachment somehow to one of the featured characters because it gives you a enjoyable experience watching then left with feeling nothing about anyone you just spent hours watching.

- - - Updated - - -

I will agree to have you start next round ^^ if you want like you said we can still discuss this movie until the forum locks it. What is the next round? Horror, comedy?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

I'm okay on starting new vote and still conversing on this movie at the same time.
    We all suggested or most of us gave classic comedies in topaz's big thread, will we do that, or something else, TheEvilJester? I'd be cool with like breathe said above horror too.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] I mean cmon man. So the main hero of the movie is a kid who lives in a box. That alone makes me feel crazy. To be honest I cant watch movies these days. Hour at screen straight gives me headache. Working on it now. However Im all about Harry Potter these days. Reading Harry Potter books tried to watch movie but couldnt because it was so dry - book just explains so much more and juicy language gives more realistic feel. For the next movie I would suggest any Harry Potter movie. That is if you have space left in a poll after rest of the movie club member suggestions.

I knew you will be sensitive about your movie but its not for everyone. If I were feeling okay I would watch it for sure and give it a chance despite the trailer.

Maybe I should start book club lol. Since reading most of the time anyway. Anyone wants to join?
    Last edited by pcmaster; 12-04-16 at 11:20 PM.

The kid doesn't live in a box. In fact, he's only in the box in the very beginning and once he leaves it we never see the box again. Well... until the box gets its own sequel a couple years later, but that movie just wasn't as good. ....Okay, I made that up. ;-) The movie isn't as goofy as that premise may make it seem. Still, if you were turned off by the trailer you probably won't like the movie.

I've never read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies, but both the books and movies are definitely on my list. A book club definitely sounds cool, but I would not be able to participate. I'm always reading, but I don't really get as much time as I'd like to read. I read a little here and there when I can, so it tends to take me a couple months to get through what I am reading. For me, a movie is much easier. I can easily take a couple hours of my life to watch a movie, so it is easy to participate in this.

Was you that kid from a box Jester? I bet you had unusual childhood.

Books for sure takes more time than movies but they are worth it. maybe there are forum where book club would be easy to have. Like a book reader forum or so. I know there are forum in my country for a site where people sell their old and not so old books(including me).

I can read any Harry Potter book in 2 days. In fact when I was 12 years old I read second book in one night. Really had a lot of energy as a kid. If you want to start you can get used Harry potter books from amazon for free and pay only for delivery 4$ Or take them from a library. Movies are diferent than books because half of the things are missing but there are new stuff in them. Anyway there are new movie coming by the same writer and book who wrote HP books. Its called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So add that too to your list and when you finish reading Harry potter books then there is a little extra book thats mentioned in them - called, well you fill find out how its called in the last book. Those are kids fairy tales mentioned by Ron.

I just don't have time to read like that these days or I could do the same thing. I love reading, but after a long day of work I'm typically not in the mood to sit around reading. Other than a comic book or something short like that. So, the only time I really get to read at length is when I do so during one of my breaks at work. Hence, it's not like I have hours on end to just read.

Unfortunately, I've actually been having a problem lately with books. It seems more often than not, I wind up reading a celebrity autobiography, or a some sort of book based on a known franchise I already love (like there are books based on the Monk tv show that are actually really good). That or things people have suggested to me.

The reason being, I've tried way too many random books lately hopefully for SOMETHING different..... and been absolutely bored to tears pretty much right from the first word. I am usually the type of person to never give up on a book..... and yet I've lost count of how many books I've given up reading (thankfully mostly Kindle versions, so at least I didn't buy an actual physical copy) lately because I've gotten a decent chunk into the book and still feel like NOTHING has happened.

I mean, I'm not an author..... but shouldn't the goal of a book be to grab me right from the start and keep me interested all the way? Shouldn't I leave the book each day barely able to wait to get back to it? At this point, it is so rare that I can try anything new, because it feels like 9 times out of 10, it is a waste of my time. So, with that said.... if you have suggestions for good stuff to read, I'm very open. Particularly horror. I LOVE horror, but that genre has been especially guilty of this problem for me.

I'll give my last remaining thoughts on the movie Martian Child since I read we are moving on to the next round of reviewing. I enjoyed reading the discussion, I always wish each person would discuss it, always seems a few hold out, this round Paradise and Kiara, other round there were two as well. I enjoyed this movie, it was a heartstrings one that you are left with seeing others and the world a little better and realizing differences are what makes for great relationships, family and friendships. Why do we all need to look, be and think the same, it's the different POVs that get conversation and change happening in the world, diversity is beautiful to me.

I read up on this movie when I was last on and was to post regarding that but the forum took me out sadly. I think what I was to share would make you take a second look at watching this movie [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] and have a different opinion on what it is really about. It is actually based on a real story, the man is a science fiction write he actually worked if I have this correct on the TV show Star trek he wrote the Trouble with Tribbles episode a classic Star Trek episode that you may have also heard of. And he did adopt a little boy as a single man but his story wasn't exactly the same in his novel as then told in the movie, maybe since you like reading books, you could read his book based on the movie? Here is an article for you to read about what I just mentioned above. I am sure you can find even more detailed links about this real story online, but at the end of this article is the real man, his real son and the little boy who played him ( boy in the box as you said) altogether. I think the fact there is a true story behind this would make it more fascinating to you or maybe others?

http://criticontheloose.blogspot.ca/2007/11/martian-child-love-story.html

- - - Updated - - -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast