+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Do I have/ am I going to end up with daddy issues?

Do I have/ am I going to end up with daddy issues?

I'm 17. My dad left my mum when she was pregnant with me but when I was born he decided he wanted to be a part of my life. We get on well and I know he loves me but I'm glad my mum raised me. I see him once a week and he kinda just sees me on that day. He wouldn't come to parents evening or drive me to piano lessons or anything. My mum and him don't talk at all now, so even though he and I get on well the relationship is a little ****ed up.

My mums basically always been single. I worry sometimes that because I've never lived in a home where there are two married loving parents, I'll never find a serious boyfriend/ husband.

I'm also pretty shit at talking to guys I like. I have a few male friends and I find it easy to be friends with guys (even though I'm most close with my girl friends) but I don't know how to act around guys I like.

I had a great relationship with my grandfather and he was my real father figure, but he died when I was ten.

This sounds stupid but whenever I watch movies or shows or whatever my favourite characters always tend to be the father figures. Like in Harry Potter, he's an orphan, and dumbledore, lupin and Sirius look after him.

I'm worried I'm going to have daddy issues. In gossip girl, the other characters always say Serena has daddy issues because of her absent father. She looks for guys who make her feel safe and give her a sense of belonging and I kinda relate.

Anyway someone please help!! Do I sound like I do? And how can I avoid it? I don't want to be alone forever like my mum

lol you'll be fine hun ,you're not the first nor the last person to be raised by a single mum and turn out just fine. And its PERFECTLY NORMAL to want/like to have someone to rely on ,since fathers usually take on the role in anyone's life.
    Dw bout it ,its just a phase (you're 17 afterall ^~^) it'll go away with time~

Do I have/ am I going to end up with daddy issues?

Hello Kate,
    You may think of it as daddy issues and all you want is a complete family that everybody wants to have. Don't focus on what you don't have but instead be thankful of what you have. You are blessed of having a mom that is there for you always when some don't have their parents with them. You are a smart girl, instead of worrying help your mom and give her the love she deserves for taking care of you, be strong not just for yourself but also for your mom. Be optimistic and not dwell on things that will make your life miserable. Good things will surely happen ahead.
    Free web cams