+ Follow This Topic

Thread: old age - alone

old age - alone

My grandma stays alone and she is a heart patient. I was wondering if installing a wireless nurse call system would do any magic in the state of emergency. We have not tried using them though we have heard a lot about it. What do you guys say? What more can we do for her better safety? Please put in your valuable suggestions.

How old is your nan? If she is a heart patient shouldn't she be in hospital or a senior complex? I would inquire about care facilities for her so she can be safe and be helped and you no longer have to worry. I don't know what a wireless nurse call system is, if she fell in the tub, how would that help her if she can't get to the phone, or does she wear it on her person? Could you explain more please so we can help you better.

"Heart patient" s very vague, and doesn't give any indication of what her health is like. Some "heart patients" are very healthy after a pacemaker placement, for example.

Med alert devices (like the one advertised as "help, I've fallen and cant get up") are helpful if she retains consciousness, but if she is unconscious, it won't do a thing.

The best way to allow her to be independent is to phone her every morning to see if she made it through the night, or hire someone to live in with her.