+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why do some people jump right back into another relationship quicker than others?

Why do some people jump right back into another relationship quicker than others?

Is there a set time for jumping back into a new relationship?

Personally I can't commit into a new relationship for usually at least 6 months as I need to process the past whether the relationship was good or bad. I've tried plenty of times to do the rebound & it only last a few weeks to a month.

My ex for example has already jumped back into something exclusive 2 months after we broke up? She has always done this, we are still friends & I asked her why she thinks she does this? Her reason being it helps her block me out & it helps her move on. I don't think she has been single for longer than 2 months since she has been 17.

Is anyone else like this? I know lots of people do this, just interested in others opinions?

I've had some long breaks and short breaks. I met my now husband when I was only two months separated from my ex husband. I wasn't looking for a relationship, but I also wasn't about to let a good thing go. It was nothing more than a matter of chance.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I've had some long breaks and short breaks. I met my now husband when I was only two months separated from my ex husband. I wasn't looking for a relationship, but I also wasn't about to let a good thing go. It was nothing more than a matter of chance.

Ok interesting.

Were you still processing your breakup with your ex husband 2 months later? or had you accepted it?

As someone who jumped into a relationship a few months after leaving a 5 year relationship, I can see both sides. You get excited at the prospect of something new, a new person in front of you, a new relationship. You get sort of a high from the break up and when someone who is attractive and interesting, is also interested in you, it reminds you that there are more people out there than just your ex. Then, what happens is you fall back into relationship patterns because you are used to it. So you start behaving the same way you did in your previous relationship, just with a new person, because it is so easy to fall back into those patterns of being in a relationship that it can be hard to break away from. There's that, and then there's people who can't be alone. They don't love themselves enough to be alone for longer than a few weeks, and that fear of being alone takes over and they find themselves caught up in a new relationship. Most likely with the same problems as the previous one, especially if they haven't truly moved on emotionally/mentally.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Quote Originally Posted by melancholia View Post
    So you start behaving the same way you did in your previous relationship, just with a new person, because it is so easy to fall back into those patterns of being in a relationship that it can be hard to break away from.

Ok this is the part i'm trying to understand. Does the new person help process your break up as you can block it out?

Even when i've left a bad relationship I still have to give myself time to be alone (usually at least 6 months) before I can give someone 100% of myself to a new person. I know my last relationship was not going to work however I still miss her & find it hard / disrespectful to replace them with someone else so quickly.

I will highlight based on character psychology.

Persons who have sanguine character in their primary or secondary tend to forget things more easily. They dont get carried away and they like to try new things.

The only character that cant move on easily is the melancholy, especially INTJ and INFJ. You can visit the link below to understand generally.

http://chickmagnet7.com/?Female_Tempraments

Cheers excellent

There isn't really a set time frame. What matters is what works for the particular person.... whether they realize it or not. Some people can quickly bounce back from the end of one relationship and enter another one.... and it is perfectly fine and healthy. Others may bounce back quickly and enter a new relationship.... but in reality they are just trying to mask their pain from the breakup and aren't really being fair to the new person (or to themselves, for that matter). People call that a "rebound."

In my personal opinion, you should never be using a new relationship to "mask the pain" or "block out" your ex. The fact that she actually said this to you leads me to believe she's not being fair to that new relationship. Bottom line, though, that honestly shouldn't matter to you at all. Why do you care? Worry about yourself, not about what your ex is doing. If your ex is jumping into a new relationship too quickly, that is her loss. Give yourself time to heal and get back into the dating world when the time is right FOR YOU.

I usually move on in 2weeks after I end up a relationship . And as I know I'm the only one can do that among my friends. It doesn't mean I didn't hurt after end up a relationship . I do hurt and cry, but after that I try to start seeing other guys to help me get out of the sadness. Truth is I don't really get it what stop people to move on after end up a relationship . It's ok you feel sad after end up a relationship,but the whole world still waiting for you . I try to give myself a time to take care of my mood ,and forget my ex, I can cry ,sad as much as I can in 2weeks . But After that ,I told myself time to move on ,I will start seeing new people and new friends to see how it goes

I love that attitude, Leafgone. I think that's really strong. Certainly, it is okay to mourn the loss of a relationship you once thought was so good.... but good on you for never letting it keep you down long. I think it is awesome that you are able to move on, yet at the same time still acknowledge and feel the sadness you would feel in such a situation. If you CAN achieve that, it certainly is the best way to move on. After all, one of the best ways to move on IS to get back out there and try again. It's just, that can be really bad if you aren't actually ready yet.

I dig your approach. Don't allow yourself to dwell too much on the past. Instead, make the present even better! I will say, I definitely have always been like that myself, at least in as far as not dwelling too long on my past. I bounce back quickly. My only problem is my present doesn't tend to be so great. I'm working on that, but sometimes it seems pointless. Hopefully some day that, too, will be a thing of the past.

Life givess us all hard knocks.