+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how long is too long?

how long is too long?

howl long is too long to continue dating, before taking it to the next level, marriage?

Ive been dating my BF for almost 6 years. They have been a pretty good 6 years. He has been married before however he tell me he wants to marry again. We've both discussed marrying each other. My question is what's the hold up? I feel like he is selling me false dreams. He bought a ring 2 years ago and showed my sister, however I never received it. We had an argument and he claims he returned it.. We also discussed my previous relationship I was in for 10 years with a guy who I knew was not the one for me. I promised myself I would not waste another 10 years in a relationship and he agreed. However I feel like I'm headed in that direction. I'm getting frustrated and I need to decide if I want to leave or stay without giving him an ultimatum, because I'm not going to force you to do anything that you don't want to.

My question is, how long would you wait before you through in the towel?

Him telling you he returned the ring would have been my Goodbye to you, to him. That's awful to do and tell you he did it.
    Ask if he ever wants to marry you, and if so how many more years since you are 6 years in so far, and make your decision off his answer. Good luck.

I think independent of HIS plans, you need to make some of your own. How long are YOU willing to play house before throwing in the towel? Why give him all the power to decide your future?

Similar situation to you! It seems like we just wait and wait through love but it's hard to know if it's the right thing to do. Did he explain why he took the ring back? Perhaps he's scared. I would have another discussion about it.

Doesn't sound like he's interested in settling down... So sorry! Going forward, don't allow a man to court you for longer than 2-3 yrs without putting a ring on it. If you truly want to settle down, then find you a man who is at a point in his life where he wants the same and can make that happen. Otherwise, you will be strung along. A man will only get away with what you allow him to!