+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to break the ice and get a conversation going?

How to break the ice and get a conversation going?

I think this is the sub forum to ask this.

So i went to a restaurant with my mom this evening for her birthday and we had a great time. A young lady there, a waitress brought us our food and that was that. As soon as i saw here i thought to myself..''damn, that's a nice lady.'' While we were eating i noticed that she glanced at me a few times while she was just waiting for customers. And when i paid for the food and we left, she said ''goodbye'' in a certain way. Of course it could all be in my head and that it's nothing, but i have a feeling the interest was mutual. Let's just call it that.

It's a fantastic place and definitely not too pricey, so i am gonna go there more often for a full meal or a quick bite. Let's say i see her again next time....what is a good way to break the ice? I am absolutely ****ing terrible at small talk, i don't like it, but then who does? I just never really know what to say. My intention is to basically ask her out for a drink, but i can't just do that out of the blue. Chances are she won't even recognize me next time, so i have to say something, do something that no other regular customer would do. I just need some advice, never hurts to get some advice.

A friend of mine who is absolutely not shy in any way and VERY good with women, he would just say she's a damn fine lady and he'd like to get to know her better. But i definitely believe that it's important how you say things, and some things should just not be said if you know you're going to fail.

I'd put this into the Love advice section too because a lot of people seem to only answer there or Ask a female or Male sections. Will get you more replies then in here as you can see for yourself ;]

Sounds like she noticed you in the same way you noticed her, instant sparks on both sides maybe.

If she is working when you return & waiting on you, could ask if she is free one night to grab a drink or coffee with you, hopefully if not single she will let you know but then you've at least tried & if not dating another you both might have a nice date planned, never know. I would ask her too much or be too nosy but show a interest in a way she knows you LIKE like her. You can do it out of the blue before you are to leave the restaurant, why not? You don't try, you don't get.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    I'd put this into the Love advice section too because a lot of people seem to only answer there or Ask a female or Male sections. Will get you more replies then in here as you can see for yourself ;]

Sounds like she noticed you in the same way you noticed her, instant sparks on both sides maybe.

If she is working when you return & waiting on you, could ask if she is free one night to grab a drink or coffee with you, hopefully if not single she will let you know but then you've at least tried & if not dating another you both might have a nice date planned, never know. I would ask her too much or be too nosy but show a interest in a way she knows you LIKE like her. You can do it out of the blue before you are to leave the restaurant, why not? You don't try, you don't get.
    Ok i'll do that.

As for your advice, i think when i go into the restaurant and sit at my table and when she comes to me to ask what i want to order, i could ask her how her day is going. I know for sure the majority of customers don't ask her that, so that's something. There's always a chance she's not single, but i won't know until i try something. But asking her how her day going is a good start, but it's not everything.