+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing Love on Social Media

Showing Love on Social Media

We have all been there, where we have some type of social media account, Facebook, Twitter, Instragram, Tumbler, Snapchat, to other forms MySpace, chat rooms, instant messengers etc. But anyway do any of you who are married, engaged, in a relationship, etc. Show it off on social media, like you have a photo of you and your partner together as your profile photo, and so does your partner, or your cover photo is of the two of you, etc. Or do you guys keep your profiles for yourselves and just post about how lovey dovey you are? OR do you keep it private from social media, family, and friends altogether?

I keep it private for the most part. Everyone is different.

Well, I am currently single and see no hope of that ever changing. However, I can comment to how I am when I'm in a relationship. As a general rule of thumb, I don't think it is right to be too in people's face's about it. Honestly, when people do that, that just makes me think they are such phonies trying to throw it in people's faces like "Looky! Looky! Look how great my life is compared to you losers!"

.....BUT, that said, there's a BIG difference between somebody who is being blatantly showy, and somebody who is actually just happy/in love. Me personally, when I'm in a relationship, I don't throw it in everybody's faces with annoying lovey dovey posts every two seconds that make people's teeth bleed with how overly "sweet" and sappy they are.....

But I'm also not going to completely ignore a part of my life that exists.... especially when it is one that makes me so happy. So, yeah, if I'm in a happy relationship, my profile is going to talk about them now and then, I will probably post pics of us together from time to time, and my profile pic/background pic or whatever may very likely be of the two of us instead of just me. It would almost certainly NOT be something ridiculously showing like the two of us kissing. It would probably just be the two of us in our Halloween costumes at a Halloween party, or the two of us on vacation, or just something like that.

No offense if that is your personal choice.... but I just never got the people who are so crazy private in their social media. What is the point of HAVING any social media if you are going to be so private and guarded about what you share? I mean, not to the whole world. I could understand making your posts/pics/etc. private so only those on your friends list can see them.... but I just don't get the people who won't post ANYTHING about their significant others.

Some people are like that, though. I don't personally get it, but some people just prefer to have their profiles be about them and nothing else. To me personally, it is about a proper balance. Again, I wouldn't have this disgustingly sappy, almost vomit inducing shrine to my gal all over my social media presence, but I'm also not going to pretend like they don't exist and I'm not going to pretend not to be happy. Hell, I never get to be happy, so if I actually AM, I'm sure as Hell not going to be ashamed of it. I'm not going to throw it in people's faces, but I'm not going to hide it like a dirty little secret either.

When I was in a relationship and had a FB I would put puts of with person I was dating on my page and put in a relationship for people on my list not from where I am from, because people who known me know that fact from hanging with us IRL. I never put the name of whom I was dating though.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

One thing I also forgot.... it also depends, to me, on exactly how serious two people are. For example, I personally wouldn't post pictures of a gal I'm with if we are currently "just dating." It wouldn't be at least until we consider each other boyfriend and girlfriend. You know, unless maybe I was dating Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I would post that $h*t all over the place.

Wait, did I say that out loud? Umm.... I meant.... uhhhhh.... <insert attractive female celebrity's name here>.

LOL!

Nope. I don't even publicize my relationship status on social media. My relationships with people aren't meant to be thrown about casually on social media to prove I have a good thing going. Sure, I interact with my SO on social media, but it's not like I make mushy posts about him for everyone to see. That kind of thing is a lot more special to me when we do it behind closed doors. Also, I'm not really a romantic person, so it's just not my kind of thing. HOWEVER, having said all of that, I am happy to see that other people are happy in their relationships and if they want to post it on social media, that is great. It's just not my kind of thing.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Just out of my own curiosity for those of you saying you don't post stuff about your SO on social media...

A quick question I have: Is it at least clear on our social media that you HAVE a significant other? Like, in other words, if I was a new friend visiting your social media, would I see that you are in a relationship, or would I not even be able to tell that?

Absolutely not meaning to judge. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I just never quite understood being SO private to the point that you don't even at least acknowledge that your SO exists. Again, that's just me. Not meaning to judge, I'm just genuinely curious.

TheEvilJester: No. You can't tell what my relationship status is from my social media pages, and that's the way I want it. It's not that I am so private that I don't acknowledge my BF exists, clearly he does lol; but I don't need to prove it to other people on social media. My social media pages are meant for jokes, sharing interesting articles, and keeping up on my friends' lives. Before, when I was younger, I would post tons of stuff about my relationship and it isn't necessary. I just don't feel the need to do that anymore. It's just not my thing. Although it does make me laugh when the ONLY thing someone posts is details about their relationship because it just seems weird to me. But, like I said before, I am happy to see that other people do. I love seeing people who are psyched about their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/spousal equivalent.

Agree with you on the peeps who ONLY post things about their relationship. In fact, I've always kind of found that to be ridiculous. You don't cease to be a separate human being just because you are in a relationship. Yes, you should be happy to be in a relationship, but you shouldn't lose your individuality. Not only that, but even if it isn't your intention, it can come across looking like you are rubbing it in people's faces, even if that isn't your intention.

Follow-up question. How active are you on your social media?

Nothing says my balls are kept in a jar inside her purse, quite like a joint Facebook account LOL.

I am active on social media, daily. I don't post every day though.

I will add to my post above, I didn't ever put my BF's name into the relationship section like you can on FB, only " in a relationship" but my BF did put my name and I was okay with it but I think it did it so I would put his up too, lol and I didn't. Because RL family and friends knew it was with him and I had pics of us up on my page too.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

Quote Originally Posted by melancholia View Post
    Nothing says my balls are kept in a jar inside her purse, quite like a joint Facebook account LOL.
    People actually have JOINT social media accounts? I've never quite seen that before. That does sound pretty sappy. LOL!

Plus, who gets the account if they break up?

LOL I use to share all my login into with my partners of my past but then I did it again in the present and it didn't turn out so well, so I had to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikumiku View Post
    We have all been there, where we have some type of social media account, Facebook, Twitter, Instragram, Tumbler, Snapchat, to other forms MySpace, chat rooms, instant messengers etc. But anyway do any of you who are married, engaged, in a relationship, etc. Show it off on social media, like you have a photo of you and your partner together as your profile photo, and so does your partner, or your cover photo is of the two of you, etc. Or do you guys keep your profiles for yourselves and just post about how lovey dovey you are? OR do you keep it private from social media, family, and friends altogether?
    My girlfriend and I both have a picture of us together for our profile pictures. And, on the weekends we will post "lovey dovey" messages - mainly 'signs' we copy/paste about mushy sickening stuff....about our relationship. AND we are sitting next to each other at the dining room table. So the answer to your question is, yes - we do.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowrd View Post
    My girlfriend and I both have a picture of us together for our profile pictures. And, on the weekends we will post "lovey dovey" messages - mainly 'signs' we copy/paste about mushy sickening stuff....about our relationship. AND we are sitting next to each other at the dining room table. So the answer to your question is, yes - we do.
    Aw how romantic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast