+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality is now possible in our lifetime!

Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality is now possible in our lifetime!

I've been raving about it in a couple other threads, so I figured I might as well start a separate thread about it. I recently learned that "virtual reality" has actually become real. Ever since I was a little kid seeing "virtual reality" imagined in all those movies based in the future, it has been an idea I have wanted to see become reality. There's something about the idea of being able to put on a headset and disappear into this completely imaginary world that just seemed so unbelievably cool to me. But, it also seemed like science fiction. Something I'd LOVE to see, but never expected I would in my life time.

As it would turn out, I was wrong in that way. It has recently actually become possible. There are a number of headsets out there you can buy that connect to your smartphone. However, the first I'd heard of that is its own separate headset is the Oculus Rift. You do have to connect it to a computer with Internet access, though. When I saw it was available, I knew I HAD to buy it. I preordered it on Amazon and finally received it last week.

It is absolutely everything I've imagined when I think of virtual reality since I've been a kid. It is breath-taking and unbelievable. It makes me feel like a little kid all over again. There are so many little short videos/experiences, games, and just so many things you can try. Plus, it seems they will be adding more over time. I cannot rave about it enough. If you ever get a chance to try it, you absolutely have to experience it.

Has anybody else tried the Oculus Rift? Or any other VR headsets available, such as the ones you can get that connect to your smartphone?

Ah, this is what you were explaining to me in T and F game. Is it expensive to own?
    What games do you have that you play using this? Are there alot to pick from or only a few as of now? Does the headset have a screen to cover eyes, not sure how it works and puts you into the game story.
    Wonder why they chose name they chose for it?

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

It isn't super expensive, but I wouldn't call it "cheap" either. If you get the one I have, the unit itself is about $600 (that's in American dollars, so I don't know the price in other countries). You have to have a computer that can support it, though. It takes a pretty powerful computer. Basically a gamer's computer. As it is, Amazon had several bundles you could get to get both the computer AND the Oculus Rift, and it was for a pretty darn good price. That's what I did.

For the most part, you can only play games/videos/apps, etc. that you actually download and/or buy from the Oculus itself. There's a lot of free content, and then also some stuff you have to buy. I think there are ways to do other things, though. (Ex: I've heard of a program called "Virtual Desktop" that lets you actually see your computer screen through the Oculus and can therefore let you watch YouTube videos and other things like that through it.) I need time to do more research.

For now, though, I would say there's not a TON of content because it is fairly new.... but there's honestly still a pretty good amount. Plus, from what I hear they have plans to add more over time. Not to mention, they have apps like Vrideo which gives you access to user created VR videos, so there's tons of content already available there and always new content showing up as users upload their own stuff. For example, that is where I road a virtual roller coaster and swam with sharks.

Right now (well, right now as in lately, as I am not playing at this very moment LOL!), I'm in the middle of a game called "Into the Dead." It's a zombie game with various "modes" but the main mode is you running through a farm/cornfield avoiding zombies for as long as you can. You can pick up various weapons along the way. Of course, the run out of ammo, but they can help you survive for a bit.

Honestly, I could go on and on raving about this. I've heard Best Buy stores, at least in the US, are likely going to be selling them soon and will have one set up for demonstration. If anybody ever finds that near them, or knows of somebody who has one, I cannot more highly recommend giving it a try. I can't even really do it justice describing it. It's really the sort of thing you just have to experience. I am HOOKED.
    Last edited by TheEvilJester; 06-05-16 at 06:48 AM.