+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My parents...and my bf. help pls

My parents...and my bf. help pls

My bf and I have been together a couple months now, but we've been friends for almost a year. When we were friends we knew we'd end up together and love each other so much now.

Only thing is, i'm not sure if my parents will accept him or approve of him when they meet him... He has alot of tattoos like on his arm and one on his neck, they all signify his deceased family members. So i was kind of skeptical about telling my parents about him because they are very particular about what kind of guy me and my sister date, and tattoos to them are "not professional" as they'd say. (and my parents have tats). So my daddy was telling me that it wasn't a big deal as long as he doesn't sag (which he does not do).

but now my next issue, my parents have always wanted us to be with a guy that has a real career in mind (preferrably a college education). i have a college degree, but my bf doesn't. And my parents arent okay with me being with a guy thats at a dead end job.. which i do understand. But there are lots of good jobs people get without even having a college education. And right now my bf is trying to move up to a manager apprentice at the grocery store we both work at. But to my parents, thats settling.. theyd tell me im settling. And it hurts my feelings because he treats me SOOO GOOD and the first guy to make me happy. And they see that but im afraid they won't like him... they havent met him yet but when my dad asked me what was his career goals and i told him my bf was still trying to figure out what he wants to do, my dad paused.... i totally understand where my parents are coming from. Because even ive been pushing my bf to set a goal and try to acheieve it so he can be successful, but knowing my parents its not going to be enough for them. And at the end of the day we are both 22 so they can't tell me who i can and cannot date, I'm not going to dump a guy that treats me well just because he isn't making as much money as my parents want him to... but what girl doesnt want their parents blessing?? I was in a relationship with a guy for 5yrs who had a bachelors degree and he abused me. So not all guys that have a degree under their belt are good for u.. u never know, i may be the one to help him decide what it is he wants to do in life besides work at a grocery store. I just try not to judge people who don't have a degree because having a degree does not make me better than anybody else..I have family friends that started out at a dead end job and worked their way up to CEOs. Its just hard when you have the type of parents that would resent u or talk down about your decision to be with someone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. =)

Hello,

1. You're 22 they can't tell you who to date although it would be nice if they all got along.

2. You're independent if you're successful or "making more than enough money" then why does it matter what kind of job your partner has.

3. LOVE>any Degree (:

Quote Originally Posted by Cali_Love View Post
    Hello,

1. You're 22 they can't tell you who to date although it would be nice if they all got along.

2. You're independent if you're successful or "making more than enough money" then why does it matter what kind of job your partner has.

3. LOVE>any Degree (:

Thank you so much for that. Love does outweigh any degree. Its just that i live with my parents still while i'm continuing my education so they still feel they have alot of say so in my life. Even with my son, they are trying to control my life and tell me how to live it.

If they are really against this guy, I'm sure they just want the best for you. If this guy is serious about being with you then he'll wait until you're out of your parents house or show your parents that he's a great guy and he deserves to be with you. I'm sure your parents will change their minds.